KermMartian wrote:
Some preliminary work on sprites, wall-grinding, friction, and air-resistance. Nothing spectacular, but it's a start.

I thought you DIDN'T want to do a full project?

DO IT DO IT DO IT!
I don't necessarily want to do the full project; at this point I'm committing to nothing, simply messing around with the physics because it's a fun project to occupy my otherwise empty time. I am utterly, completely incapable to doing nothing, because I get this irrational anxiety that there's something I should be working on. Conditioning, I guess.
*bumpity bump* Currently runs at 86.13 FPS, but if I continue, I'll need to make multiple physics frames run for each graphics frame. There's also some fun optimizations I see that I could make. Tomorrow I'll hopefully add wall sliding friction and more familiar jumpkey handling.

Schweet.

Insert meaningful-sounding filler here.
The Tari wrote:
Schweet.

Insert meaningful-sounding filler here.
Thank you much, I will try to make more progress today, start with better jump keying, perhaps think about level rendering, then begin to move into collision detection.
*bumpity bump*

Four-direction collisions. I originally made it very smart, but later dumbed it way down (which helps speed, which is still at 80.39 FPS). Next will be slopes, slope physics, and slope collisions, which is going to be horrendously annoying.

yay!!! looks awesome!
Thanks. The next step will be to add physics and collisions for slopes, which is going to be a major, major pain in the neck.
Absorption. Note that I turned off collisions with slopes pending proper slope collisions. This had some annoying bugs to work out.

looks good. Very Happy

You know... using something like this, you could almost make a 1337 starwars game... utilizing force jumps and stuff.
this should actually be modified slightly to be the P-Game and be the bastard child of Portal and N-Game for calculators Very Happy

once you have physics working I can't imagine it would be that hard to add the code to rotate momentum.
elfprince13 wrote:
this should actually be modified slightly to be the P-Game and be the bastard child of Portal and N-Game for calculators Very Happy

once you have physics working I can't imagine it would be that hard to add the code to rotate momentum.

omg ya! do it!
That's a decently cool idea; the problem is implementing aiming of the portal gun.
You could always take the crappy way out and use the number pad for shooting in increments of 45.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
You could always take the crappy way out and use the number pad for shooting in increments of 45.
As you correctly labeled it, that's an amazingly awkward interface to layer on top of something else, particularly if that something else is well thought out.
KermMartian wrote:
That's a decently cool idea; the problem is implementing aiming of the portal gun.

what is the current control set/planned control set? we want a way to move the gun independently of the player.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

what is the current control set/planned control set? we want a way to move the gun independently of the player.
Left and right arrows to move, 2nd to jump, and clear to quit.
For 22.5 degree increments you could also implement pressing more than one number key at a time.

Example: 3+6==Shoots portal 22.5 degrees below horizontal (towards the right)
or maybe just add portals as a new m-game object.
Lemme work on getting the M-Game aspects of it working properly for now, then we can discuss possible expansions. I definitely like the idea of adding a portal component of some sort, but I think that's a discussion for after slope physics, enemies, doors, and jumpers.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours