Actually, some people would have you believe that automobile manufacturers are suppressing battery technology - have you see the Death of the Electric Car?
actually, my physics teacher has been told by a couple naval officers that DARPA et. al is suppressing super capacitor technology.
elfprince13 wrote:
actually, my physics teacher has been told by a couple naval officers that DARPA et. al is suppressing super capacitor technology.
For what purpose?
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
For what purpose?

things like this
swivelgames wrote:
I was talking to some people from the Army and they were saying that they were making a Nano suit that was about 700lbs and felt like 20lbs when worn (from what I can remember). They said that when worn it is completely flexible almost like wearing regular clothing but where ever its hit hardens like bullet-proof steel.

you can do that w/ a maple syrup based polymer/non-newtonian fluid iirc. i think they were applying it to body suits for extreme sports enthusiasts.
KermMartian wrote:
Actually, some people would have you believe that automobile manufacturers are suppressing battery technology - have you see the Death of the Electric Car?

Those people are also known as "crackpots". I try to ignore them.

No, I haven't seen "Death of the Electric Car", nor do I plan to since there isn't a conspiracy there, no matter how much people try to make one Razz

Quote:

If anything the military is dedicated to IMPROVING super capacitor technology - they want that them for the exact reason you linked. Not sure why you would think they are suppressing it when you post a link showing that they are actively trying to improve it...
Explain suppressing super capacitor technology. That means trying to keep it secret or trying to divert attention from it? Confused
as in, they have it, and they're not giving it to other people.
I see... that was my second guess Laughing
Kllrnohj wrote:
If anything the military is dedicated to IMPROVING super capacitor technology - they want that them for the exact reason you linked. Not sure why you would think they are suppressing it when you post a link showing that they are actively trying to improve it...
I'm not saying anything definite, but considering automobile manufacturers contribute a decent amount to political candidates, and the manufacturers would benefit in the short run if they don't have to abandon all of their gasoline-powered cars and start over with electric car R&D, I'd say there might be some persuasion involved here...
Kllrnohj wrote:
Not sure why you would think they are suppressing it when you post a link showing that they are actively trying to improve it...

Improving while suppressing is very possible Kllrnohj. I could definitely see someone actively, but secretly, improving this type of technology so they could use it for themselves.

That is true though that if they were in fact suppressing it then they would have to be doing a shitty job if something like that got leaked. Although there will always be those people who are looking for things like this and eventually find it. Wink
swivelgames wrote:
Improving while suppressing is very possible Kllrnohj. I could definitely see someone actively, but secretly, improving this type of technology so they could use it for themselves.

That is true though that if they were in fact suppressing it then they would have to be doing a <font color=red>censored</font> job if something like that got leaked. Although there will always be those people who are looking for things like this and eventually find it. Wink

Actually, its not possible. Blame Elfprince for using "suppress" incorrectly. If they suppressed the technology, it wouldn't be developed anymore as per the definition of suppress. I suggest you and elf look up what the word means.

Quote:
I'm not saying anything definite, but considering automobile manufacturers contribute a decent amount to political candidates, and the manufacturers would benefit in the short run if they don't have to abandon all of their gasoline-powered cars and start over with electric car R&D, I'd say there might be some persuasion involved here...

Automobile manufacturers would have the *MOST* to gain from an electric car. Demand for SUVs and trucks has dropped off significantly, and most auto manufacturer's sales have plummeted. So much so that foreign cars have outsold domestic cars recently for the first time ever. *PRACTICAL* electric cars would drive vehicle demands through the roof - an auto manufacturers dream. Auto companies already have significant R&D into electric and alternative fuel cars. Hell, Chevy is coming out with the all-electric Volt in the next couple of years (and a foreign company, don't remember who, is going to try and beat them to market), and Toyota will be offering plug-in hybrids in 2010.

Hence, such theories are created by crackpots and/or those with zero understanding of basic economics.
swivelgames wrote:
That is true though that if they were in fact suppressing it then they would have to be doing a <font color=red>censored</font> job if something like that got leaked.

not really, they have pretty superior technology in a lot of areas that we know about, that would be useful to the general public, that they don't lease out. nightvision for instance.

Kllrnohj:
Quote:
2. to keep from appearing or being known, published, etc. to suppress a news story, a book, etc.
3. to keep back; restrain; check to suppress a laugh, a cough, etc.

either of those definitions is acceptable in this case. I suggest you take a writing course.
[quote="elfprince13"]not really, they have pretty superior technology in a lot of areas that we know about, that would be useful to the general public, that they don't lease out. nightvision for instance./quote]

Nightvision is available to civilians from a variety of manufacturers...

@Swivel: A lot of military tech eventually goes civilian. Hell, microwaves were developed in "secret" military experiments.
Kllrnohj wrote:
@Swivel: A lot of military tech eventually goes civilian. Hell, microwaves were developed in "secret" military experiments.

Heck there is even a show about this exact thing, "Tactical to Practical", on the history channel. They covered things like night vision to no-lethal weaponry.
Kllrnohj wrote:
I suggest you and elf look up what the word means.

No need. I just wasn't sure what Elfprince was trying to say when he used Suppress.
Elf, nightvision is easily available, goggles are just generally expensive so they are not seen that much (although a quick search turned up a $280 dollar one).

I really do not agree with conspiracy theorists though. They really would not want to supress a better battery, what can the army lose if they supress it? Same for the car makers.
I agree completely... what could the army gain by suppressing it?

Improving the battery is something that I don't see a point in suppressing.
swivelgames wrote:
I agree completely... what could the army gain by suppressing it?

Improving the battery is something that I don't see a point in suppressing.
It wouldn't help the military, but it sure would help Big Oil, and we all know how much pull oil lobbyists have in Congress.
[dejavu]0.o[/dejavu]

Good point indeed.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours