So, I was wondering, what's the most optimized version of the pythagorean theorem program in basic, where you can input 'x' for one of the variables? Like, say, you didn't know what A was, so you type in X instead.
Swoll_Monkey wrote:
So, I was wondering, what's the most optimized version of the pythagorean theorem program in basic, where you can input 'x' for one of the variables? Like, say, you didn't know what A was, so you type in X instead.
How about something like this?

Code:
:Disp "A²+B²=C²
:Disp "ENTER 0 FOR UNSURE
:Prompt A,B,C
:If not(A+B)*not(B+C)*not(C+A
:Then:Disp "TOO MANY UNKNOWNS
:Else:If not(A
:Disp("A=",sqrt(C²-B²
:If not(B
:Disp("B=",sqrt(C²-A²
:If not(C
:Disp("C=",sqrt(A²+B²
:End
Sweet! It works, thanks! I couldn't think of how to do it. Probably because I'm not really familiar with the commands.
Smaller

Code:

rand→X
Prompt A,B,C
If A=X
C²-B²
If B=X
C²-A²
If C=X
A²+B²
Disp √(Ans

Tiniest I could make.
noahbaby94 wrote:
Smaller

Code:

rand→X
Prompt A,B,C
If A=X
C²-B²
If B=X
C²-A²
If C=X
A²+B²
Disp √(Ans

Tiniest I could make.

Cool, this works too! But I have a question on what the Rand function does?
generates a random number between 0 and 1
Rand generates a random fraction between 0 and 1, such as 0.394832456 or 0.932958454. He uses it there to make it extremely unlikely the user would inadvertently enter the "flag" value (the rand or X value).
of course, 0->X would be better, since 0 is an impossible value to solve for (or at lease a pointless one!) and it would take much less processor time and power than calculating a rand.
jbr wrote:
of course, 0->X would be better, since 0 is an impossible value to solve for (or at lease a pointless one!) and it would take much less processor time and power than calculating a rand.
And hence Delvar X would be even better. Smile Here, this is my best attempt.

Code:
:Disp √(not(A)(C²-B²)+not(B)(C²-A²)+not(C)(A²+B²
KermMartian wrote:
Here, this is my best attempt.

Code:
:Disp √(not(A)(C²-B²)+not(B)(C²-A²)+not(C)(A²+B²

optimization never ends =D

Code:

:C²-B²-A²
:Disp √(Ans(1-(notC

And yes, I used Ans because placing "C²-B²-A²" in the Disp would require two parenthesis, as opposed to one "Ans"...
Here, save one more byte:

Code:
:Disp √(Ans-Ansnot(C

Your method is genius though, nicely done.
One last optimization....

Code:

:√(Ans-2Ansnot(C

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours