Aeromax wrote:
What might be interesting is to have a "post vote" system where, upon reading a topic, you can vote for "this topic belongs here" or "this topic belongs in the other forum", if the net vote was over 5 to move it would be moved to the other forum.

I don't know why, but I don't like this idea of voting...
Aeromax wrote:
But yeah, having passwords and such and openly being divisive would ruin the forum.

I suggested to have 2 different boards, but where anyone could post anywhere he likes, as long as it corresponds to the topic. The only difference would that one of the boards would be for helping beginners learn.
ZagorNBK wrote:
Aeromax wrote:
What might be interesting is to have a "post vote" system where, upon reading a topic, you can vote for "this topic belongs here" or "this topic belongs in the other forum", if the net vote was over 5 to move it would be moved to the other forum.

It's quite common. YouTube has a rating feature, it won't help comments get re/moved but it helps one read relavent comments. If Kerm could implement a rating system on Cemetech where users can rate other posts based on relativity, rather than anything else - like we typically flame for odd reasons.

Pehaps we adopt an open & anonymous rating system, where we rate posts instead of flame; this would increase the welcoming appeal of the site and encourage people to start/continue programming. There's already a system in place where you can set you may set your own user title after 1000 posts I believe. Maybe we have forums you can post in & see if your rating is over X%?
Well, the way I see it, every time a forum gets divided into "good section" and "noob section" everyone gets all elitist and whatnot. I think what should be kept in mind is that no person is any more valuable than any other.
Aeromax wrote:
Well, the way I see it, every time a forum gets divided into "good section" and "noob section" everyone gets all elitist and whatnot. I think what should be kept in mind is that no person is any more valuable than any other.

Except the reality is that some people are more valuable than others, *especially* on a forum.
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
ZagorNBK wrote:
Aeromax wrote:

It's quite common. YouTube has a rating feature, it won't help comments get re/moved but it helps one read relavent comments. If Kerm could implement a rating system on Cemetech where users can rate other posts based on relativity, rather than anything else - like we typically flame for odd reasons.

Pehaps we adopt an open & anonymous rating system, where we rate posts instead of flame; this would increase the welcoming appeal of the site and encourage people to start/continue programming. There's already a system in place where you can set you may set your own user title after 1000 posts I believe. Maybe we have forums you can post in & see if your rating is over X%?
Now this is a rather interesting idea, I'd like to hear some more exploration along these lines. What about listing the person's rating underneath their rank, and punish them in some way if their posts fall below a certain threshold.
KermMartian wrote:
Now this is a rather interesting idea, I'd like to hear some more exploration along these lines. What about listing the person's rating underneath their rank, and punish them in some way if their posts fall below a certain threshold.
Sounds good - on a side not Kerm, if you need an Idea Moderator, I'm open Wink. I'd say the punishment should be a post limit. I'm referring to AIM. When you get warned, you can't send as many messages as you use to, though this is more affective because you're constantly posting messages, maybe we span the time to days or weeks instead of minutes and hours.

It's not the best & most practical idea, but it's better than a temp. ban. If we go with a temp ban, perhaps the user's rating will increase by 001% each day until it reaches, or is over, 060%. So if I had a rating of 56%, I'd be temp-banned for four to five days.

I'll give this more thought and post again, or edit, in a few hours Smile
How about the punishment be "Getting Trained" like Luqado had on Blockworld, where the user basically was temp banned, but with all his information edited in ridicule(including a banner that says "Choo Choo - I'm riding on the train, I have the IQ of toast" hence the term "trained")?
DShiznit wrote:
How about the punishment be "Getting Trained" like Luqado had on Blockworld, where the user basically was temp banned, but with all his information edited in ridicule(including a banner that says "Choo Choo - I'm riding on the train, I have the IQ of toast" hence the term "trained")?
Don't give such terrible idea's!

Okay, I was at the library, when I figured we could combine my two idea's. Limit posting & a temp. ban. Basically, the user can still log in, but can't post until the counter hits zero - where the counter is the percentage points until above or at 60.

This probably isn't the best, since not everyone signs in everyday. I just thought of limiting the number of words within a post, but not everyone writes a whole lot and I just thought of a way to get around it.

I'll keep thinking...

OH! How about not being able to rate anyone else? That would sorta prevent/limit 'rating wars.'

Edit - Continued Thinking: Or maybe, you can't rate the same person within a week, and you can't rate someone back within the same time period? Which would totally eliminate the rating war possibility. Unless we rate 'anonymously,' we won't really know but we'll have suspicion of who ever flames the rated post. haha. It's not completely fool-proof.
I think "rating wars" would be too common and would destroy that system, unfortunately. It needs to be really well tuned to avoid that.

Just my two cents.
jbr wrote:
I think "rating wars" would be too common and would destroy that system, unfortunately. It needs to be really well tuned to avoid that.

Just my two cents.

Hence:
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
... you can't rate the same person within a week, and you can't rate someone back within the same time period ...
An idea like this would have to be debated and thought out numerous times as if it were a product one would sell to the public. You can't craft something to your needs and 'sell' it. Sure people do and there are buyers, but you're limiting your audience if you don't do market studies and whatnot.

I've been in a market study: they're long, boring and usually [actually] fun. The last one I was in, I sat in a room for eight hours and got paid 200$ to deliberate something I can't disclose to you (privacy contract).

Once we get some idea's that people like, perhaps a sub-forum will be created with threads relating to each idea where we hammer out the fine(r) details as a forum/community. Once there's a decision to roll forward, that thread will be locked and the feature will be set for implementation.

I'll roll through this thread - and the TI-Calc.org thread - and look for idea's and I'll create a new discussion or something Smile
I think some18's definitely on to something here, I look forward to the summary.
Stupid idea.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Aeromax wrote:

Except the reality is that some people are more valuable than others, *especially* on a forum.

Well, of course. There are people who post good things and people who post bad things. The problem is when someone is given less opportunity to post things. I don't think anyone should be restricted from any part of the site.
how about having people rate programs to determine the author's skill level? Make one board which shows the skill-level of the author for each thread; better programmers can selectively ignore questions posed by n00bs...

This way, people are encourage to post up their programs, incoming experts can be quickly identified as experts, and n00bs can stick to their own threads
allynfolksjr wrote:
Stupid idea.

Do you have anything constructive to say or are you just going to call us all idiots?
noahbaby94 wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
Stupid idea.

Do you have anything constructive to say or are you just going to call us all idiots?
Keep not feeding the troll. Smile

rthprog wrote:
how about having people rate programs to determine the author's skill level? Make one board which shows the skill-level of the author for each thread; better programmers can selectively ignore questions posed by n00bs...

This way, people are encourage to post up their programs, incoming experts can be quickly identified as experts, and n00bs can stick to their own threads
Now that brings up quite an interesting point, and one that appeals to me as far as integration between the archives and forum goes. Thoughts from you guys on this?
KermMartian wrote:
Now that brings up quite an interesting point, and one that appeals to me as far as integration between the archives and forum goes. Thoughts from you guys on this?

I like it too; I've also added it to the list I've compiled. I just see a problem with getting people to rate programs...
noahbaby94 wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
Stupid idea.

Idiot
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I like it too; I've also added it to the list I've compiled. I just see a problem with getting people to rate programs...

what about downloads instead? you could also have ratings weighted more heavily =D Of course that would mean that cemetech would need a larger user base/ a hyperactive user base.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours