Okay, I've taken the liberty to compile all the idea's for the Cemetech Site from both this thread & this thread.

If I've managed to miss any idea's & points, feel free to add them in a post. I - or a Moderator/Admin - will add it to this numbered list where it can be referred back to with ease (via Bullet Number).

I've provided any & all points I could find in those two topics, any supporting arguments/points are added as a second level of bullets for ease of reference and for the fact you don't need to go searching for any posts.

Here it is:
Idea List wrote:
  1. Make a couple different tiers of boards.
    • We have the n00bs, the little guys, the new programmers. They've moved up from "playing games on my graphing calculator" to "ooh, I can make if blocks and display text on the graph screen". And then there are the big guys. The people who dabble in Asm, the people who actually work in IT, the people who know what they're doing.
  2. Basic Elite 2.0
    • I'm hoping this is self-explanatory
  3. Grammar 'Captcha' Filters
    • How about just implementing mail goggles, except with grammar, for every post? It would be like a capcha that filters out both spambots and idiots...
  4. 'Required Reading'
    • Perhaps what is in order is something more along the lines of a bit of 'required reading' for the forum before people are allowed to post. For example, How to Ask Questions the Smart Way is a great way to help the noobs gain respect. If you do a little research and ask your question in an intelligent manner, people will be more willing to help you.
  5. Topic Relevancy Rating/Voting
    • Where, upon reading a topic, you can vote for "this topic belongs here" or "this topic belongs in the other forum", if the net vote was over 5 to move it would be moved to the other forum.
  6. Post Relevancy Rating/Voting
    • We adopt an open & anonymous rating system, where we rate posts instead of flame; this would increase the welcoming appeal of the site and encourage people to start/continue programming. Maybe we have forums you can post in & see if your rating is over X%?
    • you can't rate the same person within a week, and you can't rate someone back within the same time period? Which would totally eliminate the rating war possibility. Unless we rate 'anonymously,' we won't really know but we'll have suspicion of who ever flames the rated post.
  7. Screen shots should be mandatory to a project being submitted. It's nice to see what the program does rather than read some half-assed description.
  8. It'd be nice if your program stayed in a queue once it has been rejected. You make the necessary edits as depicted in an e-mail and/or notice on the page and you click re-submit. Your program will go to another queue - for resubmitted rejects - and if it fails again you have one more try to fix it.
  9. I think what could be a better solution would be to have one file for everything.
    • Like have one quadratic equation solver consensused to be the best. And then don't accept any more. If someone submits a new quadratic solver that has a feature that the "good" one doesn't, then change the "good" one to include said feature, attribute it to the programmer, and still only have one.
  10. Each category have it's own page, but only the top five or ten [programs] have places
    • There would be a link to see the rest of the files. And every month the files that haven't had any downloads, get deleted - which would have to be in the terms of service agreement users sign when they create account.
  11. This is probably illegal, but we (read: Kerm) could modify SourceCoder or a regular emulator to run programs directly from the Internet and parse the code so that it can be interacted with as on a regular calculator
    • it'd need to be exported to a Flash to run smoothly, then there's the trouble of legally obtaining a ROM file for each calculator type. It's possible that we could sign a contract with Texas Instruments that will allows us to use the ROM's in an online emulator. Which would have to be a personal signature unless Cemetech, or which ever site this happens on, turns into a corporation and the Corporation signs off on the contract - which should resolve the going to jail part over the personal signature if the contract is violated.
  12. Users' should be able to submit their programs even if it's on the site
    • But have a limit of "three program rejections due to replication" every year before their upload privileges are revoked for say, six months.
  13. Rate programs to determine the author's skill level
    • This way, people are encourage to post up their programs, incoming experts can be quickly identified as experts, and n00bs can stick to their own threads
Ummm, breaking a contract is a *civil* matter. Which means that you can't go to jail over it.
But violating THAT contract would be theft, so you would go to jail over it. It's like if I make a contract with you not to kill each other, but you kill me anyway. Not only can I (really my family) sue you, you would also go to jail for murder (assuming you don't get away with it).

Anyway, thanks for compiling the ideas, some18kanal0n3. I hope that some of these get used, and that some of them don't, but it's still good to have them all in one place.
jbr wrote:
But violating THAT contract would be theft, so you would go to jail over it. It's like if I make a contract with you not to kill each other, but you kill me anyway. Not only can I (really my family) sue you, you would also go to jail for murder (assuming you don't get away with it).

No, it is not theft (pirating can never be classified as theft, by the way). It isn't illegal at all since TI freely distributes it themselves, aside from, of course, the agreement made between the downloader and TI. Aside from that agreement, no laws are being broken, thus no jail time. The EULA itself is of questionable legality to begin with, so the entire thing may be legal regardless of the EULA.
If ti freely distributes ROMS, then why would this "contract" be neccessary at all?

And even though piracy shouldn't be considered theft, that doesn't mean you can't serve jailtime for it.
When I wrote the idea, I believed that the distribution of ROMs was illegal. I still do. So I proposed a contract so we could obtain each Calculator ROM and use them online. If someone knows a lawyer who wants to clean this up, please ask them.

But lets no get into a Contract/No Contract & Theft/Not Theft war.
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
When I wrote the idea, I believed that the distribution of ROMs was illegal. I still do. So I proposed a contract so we could obtain each Calculator ROM and use them online. If someone knows a lawyer who wants to clean this up, please ask them.

But lets no get into a Contract/No Contract & Theft/Not Theft war.

... of course, its not a feature thats absolutely neccessary; if it cant be implemented legally, then too bad.... people will just have to use current emulators...
jbr wrote:
And even though piracy shouldn't be considered theft, that doesn't mean you can't serve jailtime for it.

No, piracy is NOT THEFT - both by definition and in the view of the law. Software piracy wasn't even illegal until sometime within the last 20-30 years (you could copy a copyrighted work so long as you didn't make a profit - obviously computers changed this quite a bit).

Regardless, it is again, by definition, not theft, nor will it ever be. Software piracy is illegal due to copyright infringement.
Kllrnohj wrote:
jbr wrote:

No, piracy is NOT THEFT - both by definition and in the view of the law. Software piracy wasn't even illegal until sometime within the last 20-30 years (you could copy a copyrighted work so long as you didn't make a profit - obviously computers changed this quite a bit).

Regardless, it is again, by definition, not theft, nor will it ever be. Software piracy is illegal due to copyright infringement.
Fine, wonderful, but we're getting off-topic here. I have no interest in Cemetech or users or myself entering into any contracts, so the whole argument is moot unless you care enough about it for me to split this thread for you to argue about it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours