The TI NSpire has the same USB port as the Ti-84 family and I want to buy an adapter for it to be able to plug in standard USB devices in using usb8x. I would like at least one or more confirmations that the product I found, will work with the nspire. Thank you.

Click here for product page.
usb8x probably won't work on the Nspire. The 8x stands for the 80 family (83,84,89,etc) :/
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
usb8x probably won't work on the Nspire. The 8x stands for the 80 family (83,84,89,etc) :/
I'm not going to say definitely one way or the other until Brandon gets in here and settles the issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually works. TI usually fails at emulation, though (cough the official TI emulator cough), so it probably doesn't work.
KermMartian wrote:
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
I'm not going to say definitely one way or the other until Brandon gets in here and settles the issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually works. TI usually fails at emulation, though (cough the official TI emulator cough), so it probably doesn't work.

Well from what I can tell smartview is pretty good and the fact that their emulator is better in some areas than even Wabbit or PTI, though yes in many case it if a whole lot worse.
Smartview is slooooowww as far as I can tell. Wabbit emu is pretty much the most perfect emulator for any platform, ever, on the other hand. Unless there are bugs I don't know about. On usability, though, it gets a 50/10.

I know brandon has at least a couple nspires, but I can't seem to remember if usb8x works on them.

I think there is a different firmware version on the emulated 84 they have, but he hacked that to work on a real 84 as well, so he might have made some usb stuff that works with it.

Also, some18kanal0n3, 8X does NOT mean that. It means specifically 83+, 83+SE, 84+, and 84+SE. USB8X only works on the last two, but "8X" almost always means that. (Just like how PSX never means "PlayStation one, two, three or portable" but rather always just "PlayStation" or "PlayStation Extreme" if you believe the common idea that "Extreme" was the original code name for it.)
jbr wrote:
Also, some18kanal0n3, 8X does NOT mean that. It means specifically 83+, 83+SE, 84+, and 84+SE. USB8X only works on the last two, but "8X" almost always means that. (Just like how PSX never means "PlayStation one, two, three or portable" but rather always just "PlayStation" or "PlayStation Extreme" if you believe the common idea that "Extreme" was the original code name for it.)
Aight, I didn't research the subject first D: I just assumed the X was a place holder as in 'PSX' Wink

Thanks for correcting jbr Smile
usb8x can never and will never work on the Nspire. TI chose not to emulate the USB controller hardware (I doubt they could even figure out how it works again in order TO emulate it, but that's another story).

The Nspire's emulated 84+SE OS interfaces with the USB controller in the Nspire (and any other Nspire hardware) through "traps", or emulator entry points, if you will. They're in the form of invalid instructions (ED ED, ED EE, and ED EF)...when the emulator encounters one of them, it takes some sort of action, like writing to Flash where you want to (except for OS space, which is another restriction they added, preventing anyone from modifying the OS (also breakable, but that's another story, too)), and making the USB port do certain things.

Those USB traps don't provide the kind of control we would need to write any sort of USB host or peripheral driver. And even if they did, it would be completely incompatible with the usb8x model and would require a whole separate application/framework.

And TI's 83+ flash debugger is my emulator of choice. When I want to do serious work about interfacing with the OS, that's the thing to use. Wabbitemu's debugger is garbage and unusable, or at least the version I just downloaded from revsoft.org. An emulator is useless to me unless I can do real debugging with it.

The flash debugger does crash a lot, but I definitely prefer it over any other, hands down.
jbr wrote:

No, some18kanal0n3 is actually correct. 8x does mean anything in the 80 series. It always will and it always has, regardless of frequent misuse of the placeholder. As for PSX, that is not the same as 8x. The 'X' in PSX is part of the abbreviation (just like Firefox is Fx). The 'x' in 8x is a placeholder for a number between 0 and 9.
Yes, but in usage it generally refers only to the z80 calculator line. I wouldn't consider the 85, 86, or 89 an "8x" calculator.
KermMartian wrote:
Yes, but in usage it generally refers only to the z80 calculator line. I wouldn't consider the 85, 86, or 89 an "8x" calculator.

85, and 86 are z80 calculators, they just have the nice LCD (and a worse processor)
But "X" is part of the name, as defined by ti! It's not the general usage I'm talking about, it's an official designation.

Files of type *.8x* won't run on any calculators except the 83+/84+ line, which is referred to as the 8X line by TI, I think, anyway.
I seriously think that the discussion about the exact usage of the two letter phrase "8x" is utterly irrelevant. The TiNspire uses an 84+se keypad anyways, which, is "8x." In any case, thanking brandonw, for letting me know about this and prevent me from make a bad purchased. I am rather dissapointed though, as I was hoping to extend Lunar IDE's abilities for a second version, but oh well. Thank you.
Sorry about getting hung up on that Razz

I hadn't even noticed brandonw had posted, actually.
I will agree with him that as far as compatibility goes, when you need an emulator to behave just like the calculator, the Flash Debugger is the way to go. Back when the best alternative available was VTI, the Flash Debugger looked very nice. I assume, from its name, that brandonw is also right about it having the best debugger Smile

For casual stuff, rather than the kind of serious hacking brandonw does, though, I just can't get enough of wabbitemu. The horrible, ugly interfaces of the TI official stuff like graphlink and the Flash Debugger just get to me after a while.

Whatever, that's why we have so many options. A different emulator for a different purpose, I think.
Agreed, and since I'm usually doing game debugging-type stuff instead of OS hacking, I tend to find the TI Flash Debugger cumbersome and unnecessary. Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
jbr wrote:

No, some18kanal0n3 is actually correct. 8x does mean anything in the 80 series. It always will and it always has, regardless of frequent misuse of the placeholder. As for PSX, that is not the same as 8x. The 'X' in PSX is part of the abbreviation (just like Firefox is Fx). The 'x' in 8x is a placeholder for a number between 0 and 9.

While technically you are correct, that's not the way TI does it, so that's not the way we do it. "8x" refers to the 83+ series.

I had always hoped that the 89Ti version of usb8x would be called usb9x, to upset people like you.
*Quiet-chuckle-out-loud* Fantastic idea! That would sure set the record straight!

I mean, just because something has an "x" in it doesn't mean that it is simply a placeholder for anything. That's what "*" is for, or "?" if you want to be really picky.
brandonw wrote:
While technically you are correct, that's not the way TI does it, so that's not the way we do it. "8x" refers to the 83+ series.

I had always hoped that the 89Ti version of usb8x would be called usb9x, to upset people like you.

Oh, it wouldn't upset me, and I know the community/TI uses 8x to mean 83/84 and am fine with that. I just wanted to point out to jbr that his "correction" was technically wrong. Just because its how I roll.

Quote:
I mean, just because something has an "x" in it doesn't mean that it is simply a placeholder for anything. That's what "*" is for, or "?" if you want to be really picky.

No, 'x' is a very common *variable*, which in this case would be a placeholder. It is much more of a placeholder in English than * or ? is (which I have never seen used as a placeholder and are just dumb. After all, would 1*0 mean 100,110, etc.. or 0, the result of the multiplication? Ditto for using a question mark). Just like 'n' is understood to be the count of something.
jbr wrote:
*Quiet-chuckle-out-loud* Fantastic idea! That would sure set the record straight!

The '*' isn't ever really used as a placeholder. It is used to replace multiple characters, therefore, losing your place. Wink
foamy3 wrote:
jbr wrote:

The '*' isn't ever really used as a placeholder. It is used to replace multiple characters, therefore, losing your place. Wink

Which is why I mentioned the question mark. It only replaces one character, if my memory serves me right.

Also, Kllrnohj, wouldn't 1 x 0 also mean 0? Or else 1 times X times 0? It seems to be just a coincidence, however, though, that both x and * are used in similar ways.
jbr wrote:
Which is why I mentioned the question mark. It only replaces one character, if my memory serves me right.

It doesn't.

Quote:
Also, Kllrnohj, wouldn't 1 x 0 also mean 0? Or else 1 times X times 0? It seems to be just a coincidence, however, though, that both x and * are used in similar ways.

Note the space there. 1*0 and 1 * 0 are both common for multiplication. 1 x 0 is multiplication, while 1x0 is 100, 110, etc... The * is never used as a placeholder for a single number within a range. It is used as a wildcard or as a form of censoring a part of a word (in which case it is a straight substitution). The two are different.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours