Updated the map to use the new characters, right now working those aspects into the engine (still only have the 'going right' programmed in, it needed changing) And hopefully by tonight we will see if I am as smart with BASIC as I hope I am. XD

If nothing else, maybe I will get some sweet errors or something XD

Edit:

I have confirmed that both Left and Right for NPCs work flawlessly.

I will probably see if I can't integrate these into the engine, and see how things work with it bouncing between those two directions.
Well, I screwed up XD

I deliver newspapers in the morning to stores, and sometimes am forced to wait for a bit for certain stores to open. So I program.

Well.. I wanted to update the map for Pallet town.. However.. I decided to be lazy and just use the one I had already edited for the sake of testing. Sadly, I forgot that that one had the spaces already in it because I stole it from running the game engine and pasting to another program. ><

I have a backup of the file on my laptop, will throw that on the calc here after bit and try again at editing and seeing what happens. XD

Edit

Qa'pla! =D

NPCs now move back and forth on the screen all by themselves. They don't do anything while you are walking, so that should help keep lag down. Right now they only walk onto empty spots, and can walk over top of you since they don't recognize you as an object not to be walked on, and same for you. I shall add that support once I make up and down work for NPCs. I will endeavor to get a screenshot of at least this much up here after while. ^_^
Proof that I am not complete fail:

They only move left and right, and only move if you are sitting still.
tifreak8x wrote:
Proof that I am not complete fail:

They only move left and right, and only move if you are sitting still.
Very nicely done, Dan, and I'm glad you didn't accidentally wipe out your progress. You lost me a bit in you previous post, did you overwrite parts of the program or something?
Ah, alright, well I will try to explain.

The way my scrolling system works for up and down requires there to be 'padding' of spaces, 3 or 4 rows for both the top and bottom. Since this is required on all of the map segments, I am sure you could imagine the space wasted per map segment having those hard coded in. So myself and someone else, I don't remember exactly who, devised a way to have the calc pad the map segments as needed, thus saving tons of memory for storage.

It calls up the map segment, then pads it, then you play, which is why there is the slight delay when maps are loading.

When I copied the test map to the other program to begin testing the NPC movements, I forgot that it was padded. Hence I copied the padded map segment over the unpadded, and tried to run it, and when I did, it padded it again, so the NPCs were showing up all over the screen.

Once I was able to reupload the map program back and make the edits, the NPCs worked great. Very Happy

You understand this explanation? =o

4-way movement for NPCs are now implemented!

To do:

-Make NPCs recognize character as non-walkable
-Make NPCs not clear a trail in grassy areas
-Make it so you can talk to NPCs again ._.
- NPCs now no longer walk over the player
- Player now no longer walks over the NPCs

Working on making it so you can talk to them once again. Means I will have to update the maps for the buildings and such as well.
Not neglecting things, just been mulling over the proper way of going about this. I have all the texts for Pallet Town and the interiors on a line by line set by their numbers.

With that thought tho, there are some that change what they say based on an event that happens. So I combined the strings and have a 'splitter' using the '[' character. I can very easily pull the data up from the program/future appvar, I just have to devise something that looks to another program if the NPC being talked to is a certain number. Shouldn't be overly difficult I hope. Just what I have been working on in my head before I go coding anything.
Spent sometime this morning while waiting for a store to open writing up code to recall NPC data and display what they are supposed to say. I realized that I spaced adding in code that would 'scan' the list the NPC data resides in and gets the correct NPC# yet, so that needs to be done, along with yet another program that will have to determine what to do with the special NPCs that change what they say when certain objectives/events have been completed.
Glad to hear that you're using your downtime efficiently for some coding, and I'm happy that NPCs are progressing nicely. I think you definitely have the edge on the competition we were discussing yesterday Smile
While writing out the code to make the NPCs talk, I realized I made a mistake and had to start over. XD So the list for NPC talking is as follows:

1 - determine which NPC list element to use -COMPLETE
2 - determine if NPC is trainer, if so go to NPC Battle program -COMPLETE, but battle programs do not exist yet.
3 - get NPC text
4 - determine if NPC is tied to event, go to appropriate program
5 - recall sprite data
6 - display border and text

so that is what the layout of the program I am devising will look like. *gets back to work*
Awesome, that seems like a well-organized and manageable roadmap you've laid out for yourself. Regarding this whole "no battle program" thing - you mean your pokemon can't fight other people's pokemon yet? Or is this some other type of battle with which I am unfamiliar?
You have several types of NPCs

1. Objects - these are like the maps, trashcans, signs, etc
2. Trainers - These initiate battles with you
3. Boring NPCs - These say the same thing over and over XD
4. Event NPCs - These say different things based on certain events.

As to the battle, the battle engine itself hasn't even been started. I just have the screen set up and layed out on how it should show up.

I have no choice to start on the battle program once I get it to where you can get your starter pokemon. Hopefully once I get all this working with NPCs I can see if the event system still works.
tifreak8x wrote:
While writing out the code to make the NPCs talk, I realized I made a mistake and had to start over. XD So the list for NPC talking is as follows:

1 - determine which NPC list element to use -COMPLETE
2 - determine if NPC is trainer, if so go to NPC Battle program -COMPLETE, but battle programs do not exist yet.
3 - get NPC text
4 - determine if NPC is tied to event, go to appropriate program
5 - recall sprite data
6 - display border and text

so that is what the layout of the program I am devising will look like. *gets back to work*

All of the code to (hopefully) make all this work is written out on paper, I will hopefully have some time later today to get it on calc and see what happens.

I also need to see if Pokemon works at all on the nspire 84+ keypad. o.o
Event NPCs sound particularly challenging (and memory intensive) to implement; do you have that part figured out yet?
Sadly, that will all have to be split into sub programs and hard coded, as there is no real good way to deal with such things. Granted, they will be split into other things, since some events happens while they talk, so the talking engine has to handle those.. XD

This game is a freaking mess x.x

Page 9 of 9
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours