DShiznit wrote:
So the PS3 version of Battlefield Bad Company that has 64 player lag-free multiplayer is worse than the 'awesome' 32-player 360 version.

The lag I keep experiencing on this paid service is on the network of the game as a whole(as some servers will run fine, and others will lag like a, and it'll change depending on whose playing). It cannot be on my end, I'm paying $50+ a month for 8mbps internet, which should be more than fast enough for multiplayer gaming. PS3 has fast, free, large-scale online gaming. End of story. Critics like Game Informer and X-Play(who aren't biased by only being able to afford one console or the other and needing to justify that purchase) agree: The PS3 is superior to the Xbox 360 in multiplayer gaming. I bought into the Microsoft cool-aid just like all of you. I got an xbox like everyone else. I was wrong.
I agree about the PS3; one should never have to pay to play with others. (Infact, I just finished playing Resistance 2 online) It's like paying to play on a public playground. You'd think the XB260 games could be 40$ (just saying) if M$ shared the profits from Live with developers and publishers. That alone would make the service invaluable.

Honestly, what can you do on Live that you can't do on PSN?

But just because your connection is 8mbps doesn't eliminate you as a factor. If other members of your family are streaming radio, tv, etc or downloading a large file then that also takes from your connection because all that 8mbps has to be spread between every connected internet device. Unless you specifically are paying 50+ a month for a dedicated connection to your XB360, then you are more than likely fine.
Noone else in my family is computer savvy enough to know how to stream anything. My brother is an autistic 11-year-old, and my parents are half a century old. However, I suppose there could be some lag on my end, but I never notice it when playing multiplayer on my pc...
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
I agree about the PS3; one should never have to pay to play with others. (Infact, I just finished playing Resistance 2 online) It's like paying to play on a public playground.

No, its not. Public playgrounds aren't free, first of all, they are tax-supported (so you are paying for them). Second, bandwidth and servers are very, very expensive. The only reason PSN is free is because Sony had to play catch-up big time in that area. I promise you they did not make it free out of the goodness of their hearts, and I highly doubt it will stay free. I'm guessing it'll go to a paying service for the PS4.

Quote:
You'd think the XB260 games could be 40$ (just saying) if M$ shared the profits from Live with developers and publishers. That alone would make the service invaluable.

Except you don't understand the pricing structure. First off, Microsoft and Sony take a significant loss on every console sold (hence why they are so "cheap"). They make up that loss on games (~$10 per game) and accessories. You are assuming (incorrectly) that Live itself is massively profitable. The money spent on live does actually go to pay for the very expensive servers and bandwidth used.

Quote:
Honestly, what can you do on Live that you can't do on PSN?

Play with your friends, since only like 2 people own a PS3 Razz

Quote:
So the PS3 version of Battlefield Bad Company that has 64 player lag-free multiplayer is worse than the 'awesome' 32-player 360 version.

The lag I keep experiencing on this paid service is on the network of the game as a whole(as some servers will run fine, and others will lag like a, and it'll change depending on whose playing). It cannot be on my end, I'm paying $50+ a month for 8mbps internet, which should be more than fast enough for multiplayer gaming. PS3 has fast, free, large-scale online gaming. End of story. Critics like Game Informer and X-Play(who aren't biased by only being able to afford one console or the other and needing to justify that purchase) agree: The PS3 is superior to the Xbox 360 in multiplayer gaming. I bought into the Microsoft cool-aid just like all of you. I got an xbox like everyone else. I was wrong.

Yeah, and? The speed of your internet connection is completely irrelevant. Games are very, very low bandwidth (somewhere around 5-15 kb/sec). Physical distance from the server and the number of hops to the server are what matter, including your own router and modem.

For what its worth, I don't get any lag on Live (at least not for the month I had it).
...Anybody else have Xbox LIVE? I'm bored out of my mind right now :/
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Yup, I do. Hit me up on XBL whenever I am online. I'm always ready for a game.

EDIT: Oh, and PSN sucks compared to XBL. As far as actual network capabilities, they may be very close, but XBL is far more connected to community news, events, videos, etc...
Once I get a better internet again ill be on xbox live more often!
I just signed up for xbox live a couple of days ago, and am free to play. Just know that with the type of internet I have(satellite), the game can't have a bunch of overhead.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Yup, I do. Hit me up on XBL whenever I am online. I'm always ready for a game.

EDIT: Oh, and PSN sucks compared to XBL. As far as actual network capabilities, they may be very close, but XBL is far more connected to community news, events, videos, etc...

It's all those extra flashy and ultimately useless services that(from what I understand) cause the lag you retard... although I suppose it could be that I just prefer simplicity in my multiplayer. Now that I've played Mass Effect though I no longer regret buying an Xbox, so it's not a total loss.
DShiznit wrote:
It's all those extra flashy and ultimately useless services that(from what I understand) cause the lag you retard... although I suppose it could be that I just prefer simplicity in my multiplayer. Now that I've played Mass Effect though I no longer regret buying an Xbox, so it's not a total loss.

You might want to make sure you have your facts straight before you call someone a retard, because none of the stuff on the home screen affects lag in game you retard. The 360 suspends all background downloading when you start multiplayer.
Wow, i post and everyone becomes a retard Smile. And I didn't post it but my gamertag is lafferjm.
Kllrnohj wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

You might want to make sure you have your facts straight before you call someone a retard, because none of the stuff on the home screen affects lag in game you retard. The 360 suspends all background downloading when you start multiplayer.

I wasn't referring to downloads or the main menu, I was referring to the extra services that are run with games, like the party system, which seems to be very poorly managed in my experience, since I've never had any trouble joining or playing games in Steam.
Back to the original topic... mine is Sir Compwn (Sir Cmpwn was taken, wtf?)
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Im in this boat now, anyone available to play?
lafferjm wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Im in this boat now, anyone available to play?

I'm available, but we don't have any games in common (except for Gears of War, which I no longer have).
Wow, I don't have any games in common with anybody here. On a side note, castle crashers on xbox live arcade is excellent as well as n+.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours