So I've been thinking of adding SAX to my site and I've downloaded the SAX file from the archives... But now I'm stuck on what I'm suppose to do. I can't find the files I'm suppose to copy to, and I can't find all the things in the code I am suppose to find...

Quote:

15:29:48 (C): Eeems: I have to go now, but I think I'll try and do it later
15:27:33 (C): Eeems: I noticed
15:27:14 (U): Keith: open it in Wordpad for best results. Strangely, Notepad buchers it and Windows thinks its a movie file
15:26:48 (U): Keith: the SAX zip file has a SAX.mod that tells you how to install it
15:26:32 (U): Keith: installing the SAX mod requires access to your phpbb files so you can edit them
15:25:32 (C): Eeems: how do you install it exactly?
15:24:20 (C): Eeems: sounds good
15:23:49 (U): Keith: if Kerm agrees, it's pretty much "let kerm access your files and he'll do the work whenever/if ever he gets the free time"
15:23:25 (C): Eeems: I think I'll do it
15:22:55 (U): Keith: after you get the SAX mod, you'd need Kerm's permission for tiSAX connection
15:22:37 (U): Keith: I'm not finished
15:22:30 (C): calc84maniac: wait... I think the SAX mod won't be for tiSAX
15:21:54 (U): Keith: then you can find the SAX mod download in the Cemetech archives and install it
15:21:08 (C): Eeems: actuallyI can have either
15:20:57 (C): Eeems: got it
15:20:37 (U): Keith: you'd need a phpBB2 or 3 forum that you can directly modify the code of
After browsing Forumotion.ca for a bit I came across a thread in Forumotion's own forum detailing what you can and cannot do with forumotion forums:

The Alex at Forumotion.ca wrote:
Here are things which cannot be done on Forumotions:

- control the messages before they are shown on the forum.
- remove, move or modify the default avatars in your galleries. You can only disable them.
- get a sql backup of the forum database to export it. You can't import a non-forumotion board either.
- attach files to the emails sent via your forum.
- install a skin directly.
- install a MOD directly.

You're using a free forum site. These sites will let you host a forum with them but they won't allow you total access to every single phpbb file so you can't add the SAX mod. Pretty much the only way to have a SAX-moddable forum is to get free or paid hosting and upload and install phpbb yourself (or in the case with some hosts use a built in feature installer to have it done for you). Then, it's simply a matter of finding and editing the files required.

I don't know of many good free hosts, but maybe Alex10819 would be willing to lend a hand? Does he even log on here often enough anymore though?
when I signed up it had said that there was complete customization, but I guess it was only about the templates, and no I haven't seen Alex10819 log on recently. If I knew what other Admins on my site were allowed to do and if they could then I'd let you take a look by making an admin account for you.
but I am able to play around with most of the files on it... maybe I'll let you take a look, just make an account and I'll make you an admin.
The Administrator Control Panel is designed for editing the settings of phpBB but not the literal code itself (excluding CSS). Most of the settings you edit from ACP affect the SQL database the forum runs off of, not the forum code itself.
but I can edit the code.. I think, here is a screeny, correct me if I am wrong about it, but I think it will allow me to completely change it

and this os only one of the templates I can change
Well that's certainly a unique ACP. I must commend that site for such a different take on free forum management Smile

However, from what I can see and extrapolate from seeing, I still don't think you can install SAX. You can edit some of the files, but not all of them and (I'm assuming) it prohibits the uploading of your own files (there are 3 SAX files you need to upload).
well here is a screeny of the general ones that I can edit and stuff

but yeah, for the files that I need to upload, I probably couldn't unless I could copy the code to something on it... or somehow use it from another site or something...
You can edit the TEMPLATE files, but not the core PHP files that phpbb runs off of. In the case of SAX, you'd have to be able to edit login.php, sessions.php, common.php, functions.php, and posting.php (I think).

Sorry Eeems, but the way I see it is that you probably aren't going to be able to get SAX running on that forum regardless Sad
rats...maybe if i was to ask the forumotion staff to add it or something, but they probably wont work cause they already have a chatbox mod, but it doesn't do everything SAX does. well, I guess I'll just have to live with the fact that it wont work. If anybody knows a site that will let me add it let me know, but I don't think that I want to switch sites again... by the way anybody know of comicIDIOT? just had him sign up on my site.

oh yeah the only reason that the admin panel has the set up it has is because I chose the advanced setting when setting up my site, so it gave me a lot more options
Hassle that it may be, it's far better to switch now than later since there is far less code and database entries to worry about. I'll see what I can do if you want.

If I recall correctly, comicIDIOT is some18kanal0n3 here on Cemetech.
You're right, but of course I still don't know what site to use and I thought I had finally found a good one... Nice avatar by the way
You could still try to request that they add SAX if it's superior to the chat module they're running currently. Smile *hint hint*
the chat box that they have is faster... but not able to do everything that SAX can. maybe I'll ask them.
Eeems wrote:
the chat box that they have is faster... but not able to do everything that SAX can. maybe I'll ask them.
You can make SAX faster by changing the refresh rate; I just have it slower to save myself some server bandwidth and your browser some lag.
didn't you used to have variable rate sax?
elfprince13 wrote:
didn't you used to have variable rate sax?
It's still variable-rate, but it has a maximum refresh rate setting to avoid accidentally request-flooding the host server to death.
so I was looking at the suggestions topic in the main forum and came across this thread...so it looks like they haven't done anything about it and its been a few years. also since they made all the mods themselves I don't think they want a different party taking over the their chat room.
Eeems wrote:
so I was looking at the suggestions topic in the main forum and came across this thread...so it looks like they haven't done anything about it and its been a few years. also since they made all the mods themselves I don't think they want a different party taking over the their chat room.
Fair enough, so go to a hosting solution that gives you more control over your own forum. Razz
that's the problem...this is the best one I can find, unless you know of a better one
You're looking strictly at free forum sites, sites where you register and they give you your own forum which you can customize through ACP. These types of sites, as far as I know, will NEVER give you access to the php files you need to edit to mod the actual functionality of the forum. If you want a forum that you can mod to death with SAX and whatever else you like, you're going to have to get php-enabled web hosting and install phpbb on it yourself.

Simply, you can get the cake and you can decorate the cake however you please but you sure as heck can't change what kind of cake it is. If they give you white and you want chocolate you'll have to bake your own. Get it?

And yes, cake is the perfect metaphor for forums Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours