If you're like me, you try to use as many keyboard shortcuts as possible to avoid using the mouse. You probably alt-tab, know the Ctrl-Shift-Esc combination, and Win-D all the time. However, it's a pain to have to click all the way over to the Start menu to run programs. Enter Launchy, similar to Spotlight on Macs, a program that you simply press Alt-Space to access or Alt-Space to hide again. The best feature is that you don't have to navigate to programs like you do on the Start Menu. For example, Alt-Space-'Fire'-enter will open Firefox. Alt-Space-'Thu' would probably open Thunderbird. I highly recommend that you download this program.

http://www.launchy.net/
More like Quicksilver actually, of which I'm a huge fan. Kllrnohj claims it's a tedious system and is more time consuming than using a mouse Wink
elfprince13 wrote:
More like Quicksilver actually, of which I'm a huge fan. Kllrnohj claims it's a tedious system and is more time consuming than using a mouse Wink

I said nothing of the sort. I said it was a poor replacement for whatever OS X failure we were discussing at the time.
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

I said nothing of the sort. I said it was a poor replacement for whatever OS X failure we were discussing at the time.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Gnome Do / Quicksilver / Launchy requires *gasp* MORE ACTIONS TO DO THE SAME THING. So please stop trying to force me to work slower. I realize that that is the Mac way (easier to use == slower), but knock it off already, its getting old.
Yup, because lifting my hand off the keyboard, clicking Start, clicking Firefox is faster than six quick keystrokes ('f-i-r' is enough for firefox on my machine).
KermMartian wrote:
Yup, because lifting my hand off the keyboard, clicking Start, clicking Firefox is faster than six quick keystrokes ('f-i-r' is enough for firefox on my machine).

We weren't talking about starting a new program. Elf, rewind that convo a bit so we can get some context.
kllrnohj wrote:
Its more that I need to look something up, change songs, answer an email/IM, or refresh the page to see if I like the changes I made (when I use GIMP its almost always for web work) when I'm working.

elfprince13 wrote:
use Gnome Do (the linux equivalent for Quicksilver) for all of those (assuming it supports the same range of actions as quicksilver) except the refresh, which should be 2 keypresses.

kllrnohj wrote:
Uh, no. Gnome Do / Quicksilver / Launchy requires *gasp* MORE ACTIONS TO DO THE SAME THING. So please stop trying to force me to work slower. I realize that that is the Mac way (easier to use == slower), but knock it off already, its getting old.
I still don't remember the way I was saying that was faster.

Where is that thread?
its the PNG thread where we had the big discussion about GIMP + document centric/applicaton centric models of window management.
Oh, thats right. We were talking about windows/apps that are *ALREADY OPEN*, in which case gnomedo/launchy/etc won't do jack.
oh, I didn't realize it sucked that much. Quicksilver will.
elfprince13 wrote:

No it doesn't. Rolling Eyes
Kllrnohj wrote:
Oh, thats right. We were talking about windows/apps that are *ALREADY OPEN*, in which case gnomedo/launchy/etc won't do jack.
Ah, then do you concur that Launchy is useful for the situation I am describing?
KermMartian wrote:
Ah, then do you concur that Launchy is useful for the situation I am describing?

Yup. I have used Launchy, and it is useful, but I find its pointless in Windows 7 with the new taskbar.
Winfags.
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

yes it does, stop trying to sound informed about the feature set of software that you don't use, and can't even run on your computer.

http://lifehacker.com/software/lifehacker-top-10/top-10-quicksilver-plug+ins-322363.php
elfprince13 wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

yes it does, stop trying to sound informed about the feature set of software that you don't use, and can't even run on your computer.

http://lifehacker.com/software/lifehacker-top-10/top-10-quicksilver-plug+ins-322363.php

Is that a hint of irritation?
He's irritated that other people can't see that he's superior because he overpaid for an operating system that he can only run on Apple-branded hardware which is just as overpriced.
allynfolksjr wrote:
He's irritated that other people can't see that he's superior because he overpaid for an operating system that he can only run on Apple-branded hardware which is just as overpriced.
nVidia and IBM are not Apple Branded and none of it is overpriced.
Ugh. I'm so tired of this type of argument. Basically, you're all right, if we're honest with ourselves. Every operating system has both good and bad aspects. Yes, even the ones that suck.

What I wonder is why we feel the need to proselytize with regard to whichever one we use. It's not like elf is going to benefit from it if more people use Mac, and Kll isn't going to get an award for making him give it up. (Actually, I can think of one instance where it could go the other way, which is if you use an open source OS and want to attract more developers to your platform of choice.) Even if there are some minor exceptions, it can't possibly be a big enough deal to get all upset over...

EDIT: Macs are overpriced, though. You should definitely all switch to MY platform: OS/2! (jk)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours