rthprog wrote:
yeah, because the vast majority of games run on macs natively...

Also, the "vast majority" of games are total crap, but a Mac user with a Windows license can run any game that a Dell or Toshiba user with a Windows license can run. In fact the set of software that a Mac user can run is a strict superset of the set of software that can be run by the users of computers made by any other PC manufacturer.
elfprince13 wrote:
rthprog wrote:
yeah, because the vast majority of games run on macs natively...

Also, the "vast majority" of games are total crap, but a Mac user with a Windows license can run any game that a Dell or Toshiba user with a Windows license can run. In fact the set of software that a Mac user can run is a strict superset of the set of software that can be run by the users of computers made by any other PC manufacturer.

Yes, and my skateboard is a much better form of transportation than a car. A car can't go on a halfpipe, but when I'm on my skateboard I can buy a car and drive down the road.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Wow. You're clever.

Thanks Smile

Quote:
Taking note from my quoted post below, one would think reading comprehension was easy. But apparently you like to draft your responses as you read rather than after. Are you implying the Mac doesn't, or simply can't, run games?

Really, the only reason to buy a Mac is to run OS X. If you want to play games, you really have to install Windows (wine and VMs are poor substitutes). If you are installing Windows, then not only are you paying out the butt for OS X, you still have to turn around and buy Windows. In which case, a Mac is clearly not a good choice.

And for the record, I read the entire post before responding. I also proofread my replies several times.

Quote:
So, why reply?

Why ask?

Quote:
Ever hear of figurative speech?

Yes, but further annoying Elf is more fun.

Quote:
Are you stereotyping?

Of course I am.

Quote:
I choose a Mac because it was a practical and rational decision for what I do - games and photography along with photo & video editing - without the bulk.

If you use your laptop for gaming, then a Mac isn't a practical or rational choice. Likewise, if you do serious photography work you are probably using Photoshop. If you are still using CS2, then Macs are a *terrible* choice:

Even video really isn't faster on a Mac (the notion that Macs are faster at photo and video work is completely false)

Here, check out OS X losing to Vista in After Effects CS 3 on a Mac:
http://animationartist.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=167680

Quote:
Not to mention Mac is a very standard brand. You buy one Mac Laptop and you know it has the same features as another. Bluetooth, Web Cam, magnetic "lock" & charge cord "lock." As with Windows you have to shop around to find Bluetooth or maybe you have to pay extra for it. The bluetooth in my computer allows me to use a mouse & keyboard without sacrificing any USB ports which are usually limited on a Laptop.

Its also a stupidly expensive brand that locks you in to a feature set that you may or may not want.

Quote:
I'm not assuming. And what do you mean, "here you go assuming I support Windows?" You don't give any information otherwise, what else I am to do but to draw a conclusion?

Given how often I provide Linux support here (granted, not that many questions about it lately), I honestly would have thought that you would have assumed that I supported Linux over OS X.

You could always ask which OS I support, but I'll save you the time. Its "anything that isn't OS X" (and I don't consider "OSx86" to be "OS X")

Quote:
When did debating come into play? I never said anything about debating. You're the one who basically turned the thread about "Launchy" into a debate (about Windows v. Mac) and thus I can't deny that this is not a debate.

Really I just wanted to give Elf a hard time since its fun.

Quote:
No. You haven't sold them to me. You make your points but you don't always back them up with sources (articles, product descriptions, etc) - not all of this can really be coming from your knowledge, especially if you seem to have never used the Mac derivative or version.

Of course I haven't sold them to you, you use a Mac. Clearly you are already brainwashed. After all, very few people would be willing to admit that the pissed away a ton of money on a Mac when a much cheaper Dell would do that same thing.

Sure, the above image is ridiculously biased, but it still gets the cost issue across...

kllrnohj: changed to larger image

*EDIT*
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsexperience/archive/2009/04/09/avoid-the-apple-tax-cash-in-on-the-value-of-windows.aspx
source
it's also too small to read Wink
elfprince13 wrote:
it's also too small to read Wink
Yeah, I was going to poke fun at that too, but I figured an edit was pending. It would seem I figured incorrectly.
Kllrnohj wrote:
In which case, a Mac is clearly not a good choice.
If one is an avid gamer, in this case. Which I'm satisfied playing SPORE in all its simple glory.

Quote:
If you are still using CS2, then Macs are a *terrible* choice
CS3 & Lightroom 2 - I'll be patiently waiting for a 64x CS4 for Mac or the next Creative Suite. I may have to upgrade to CS4 - class requirements - by July, though.

Quote:
Of course I haven't sold them to you, you use a Mac. Clearly you are already brainwashed.
Untrue. Underneath my Mac fan boy attitude & appearance I still support Windows, but just. I still won't recommend Windows - and I tell people that I am biased before I give my formal opinion. And I still see advantages in Windows but why bother deciding which OS to purchase when I can boot camp/dual boot Windows and get some of the more appealing advantages?
comicIDIOT wrote:
Untrue. Underneath my Mac fan boy attitude & appearance I still support Windows, but just. I still won't recommend Windows - and I tell people that I am biased before I give my formal opinion. And I still see advantages in Windows but why bother deciding which OS to purchase when I can boot camp/dual boot Windows and get some of the more appealing advantages?

Except you keep trying to turn this into a Mac vs. Windows argument, which it is *NOT*. The point is that Macs are extremely overpriced. You *can* install Windows on them, but that simply makes them EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE.

Unless you like having your wallet rapped by Jobs, in which case be my guest. I'll be busy spending hundreds less on something that is faster and has more features Rolling Eyes

In the last price comparison brought on by that Lauren MS commerical, a 17" MBP was *twice the cost* of an identically spec'd Dell. ($2800 vs. $1400).
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
{Image]

Lol my mom has that exact computer. The XPS 410 that is, and it is great aside from the propritary mobo ports. Then again at least it can be upgraded unlike that Mac there. I've doubled her Ram, added a second HDD and upgraded the Graphics card, three things that are much harder to do on mac's.
Speaking of quite impressive XPSes at very decent prices, some of the newest ones offer water cooling!
KermMartian wrote:
Speaking of quite impressive XPSes at very decent prices, some of the newest ones offer water cooling!

No they don't, and that would be a terrible idea if they did (shipping a water cooling system? horrible, horrible idea). They offer *liquid* cooling, which is more commonly known as "heat pipes" Wink
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

No they don't, and that would be a terrible idea if they did (shipping a water cooling system? horrible, horrible idea). They offer *liquid* cooling, which is more commonly known as "heat pipes" Wink
I stand corrected, liquid cooling it is. I was always under the impression that a heat pipe was simply a high-conductivity copper conduit though, not necessarily a liquid-filled one.
KermMartian wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I stand corrected, liquid cooling it is. I was always under the impression that a heat pipe was simply a high-conductivity copper conduit though, not necessarily a liquid-filled one.

I thought so too, but apparently in the modding world it refers to both Smile
Tsk, tsk, tsk. I am so disappointed in you two.

Evaporation is the heat transfer mechanism, not thermal conductivity.

Heat pipes without water cooling (which is what I have; very tight fit in my case).
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Heat pipes without water cooling (which is what I have; very tight fit in my case).

Heat pipes very rarely have water in them, hence why Dell calls it liquid (and not water) cooling. There is a coolant inside of each of those heat pipes - that is how they work. They aren't just a copper tube, for that wouldn't do much (in fact, it would suck)

EDIT: And I have one of these:

(that is a 120mm fan btw Wink )
I cut off the ends of the copper tubes for the heatsink I posted (the clips broke when I tried to reseat it due to horrible temps and I bought another heatsink) and there was no liquid in the tubes (probably would explain why it sucked so much).
I just take the case off and keep my computers in a cold, moist basement! It works great! Sometimes, I'll put a computer directly under a leaky pipe to cool it down if it seems to be getting too hot.
Kllrnohj wrote:
It is exceedingly obvious that Apple's only "security" is obscurity. That, and a steaming pile of bullshit Rolling Eyes

I know this argument suddenly trailed off to talking about how liquid cooling works, but Kllrnohj, this is extremely well said. Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours