Indeed, I have been making a Game Boy emulator for the TI-83+SE, TI-84+, and TI-84+SE.

It currently supports two zoom levels, and another is planned as well. When zoomed in, you can configure the camera to follow any sprite (most often you will want this to be your character).
It also supports two out of the four Game Boy sound channels, so you can plug in your headphones and enjoy. Very Happy
Only two games are known to work at the moment: Tetris and Link's Awakening. Tetris runs at almost full speed, while Link's Awakening is more at about half speed (but still very playable!)

I uploaded a Youtube video of Link's Awakening for your enjoyment. Beware, the video and sound aren't fully synchronized.

Next on the list for compatibility is the special rendering techniques which are employed by many games.
Holy crap. Is this for real? That's amazing, dude.
I'm skeptical; it would seem to me that this is more a porting of the games than an actual emulator.
It's an emulator. He said something about it being an interpreter, like emu8x sort of.
It could directly run a large portion of the game's code, since the original Gameboy also used a z80 of sorts. However, I'm not really sure how the sprites would be stored, since I think the original Gameboy had special hardware for them.
They are stored exactly like they are on the Game Boy... my rendering code just scans the sprite table and draws them. Smile
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
I'm skeptical; it would seem to me that this is more a porting of the games than an actual emulator.
I was too, but it seems legitimate to me.
KermMartian wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
I was too, but it seems legitimate to me.
Trust me, if these had actually been ported, they would run faster than the Game Boy versions due to the much higher clock speed. However, I'm not going to have much luck with porting closed-source programs. Wink
Any possibilities of downloading this?
ZagorNBK wrote:
Any possibilities of downloading this?
I want to support a wider variety of ROMs before I make a release. Plus, distributing the current build might go into the territory of ROM distribution, which is a bit messy. Razz
Does this mean that you have made a computer program that transforms ROM files into calc files? Confused
ZagorNBK wrote:
Does this mean that you have made a computer program that transforms ROM files into calc files? Confused
Well, I pasted the data from the ROM file into the app, yes...
calc84maniac wrote:
ZagorNBK wrote:
Ah, that makes sense then. That's quite shady, isn't there a way to have it as a multipage Appvar or something (if such a thing exists).
KermMartian wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:
ZagorNBK wrote:
Ah, that makes sense then. That's quite shady, isn't there a way to have it as a multipage Appvar or something (if such a thing exists).
I need it to be page-aligned to work, so no. I'll probably just include a tool which generates an APP from a ROM file like RealSound generates one from a WAV file.
HOLY FLAMING MONKEY CRAP!
You just had to go and overshadow EVERY other ti-8x project, didn't you?
I had no idea such a thing was even in the works! So much for waiting for Spencer's Zelda!
I don't care how slow or incompatible this is, or ever will be. I am really in to emulation, and Links Awakening happens to be one of my favorite games ever.
Seriously, I considered buying a ti89 just to be able to use the gameboy emulator.
Basically, I'm getting all excited like I always do and trying to end this post before I go crazy and declare my undying love for you or something. Oops.
calc84maniac wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:
ZagorNBK wrote:
I need it to be page-aligned to work, so no. I'll probably just include a tool which generates an APP from a ROM file like RealSound generates one from a WAV file.
Ah, very cool, that sounds like a good solution (not to build a huge quote pyramid or anything Razz).

So does this preclude Project-M, or is that still going on?
KermMartian wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:
ZagorNBK wrote:
Ah, very cool, that sounds like a good solution (not to build a huge quote pyramid or anything Razz).

*continues pyramid*
Project M has been on hold for some time now... I believe I am avoiding dealing with hill tiles. Razz
calc84maniac wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:
ZagorNBK wrote:

*continues pyramid*
Project M has been on hold for some time now... I believe I am avoiding dealing with hill tiles. Razz

That's sad... Sad
Well, I got the new zoom level working, and along with it, Metroid II!

Screenshot - Warning: GIF is over 6MB.
wow that looks good! it's a bit pixelated but it's still really quick

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours