does anybody know of a good portable disk mounter for vista?
What do you mean?
Um.. Window's auto-mounter has been pretty win since 98SE.
Do you mean something that lets you mount CD drives? Unfortunately the Microsoft one no longer works, so I'm not sure how you can have a portable one if Microsoft can't even get one to work between two different versions of the same operating systems. Wink
Are you talking about something like DaemonTools that lets you monut a .iso as a virtual optical drive?
DaemonTools is really good, by the way, if that's what you mean. It does everything I need it to perfectly. You can interface with it via the command line or with hotkeys.
yes I meant something like DaemonTools, but it has to be "portable" (no installation necessary) because I don't have the Admin password for my computer.
To my knowledge it's impossible to mount a disk image into Windows Explorer without installling a driver, requiring admin access. However, there are probably programs that can display and extract the contents of a disk image, without mounting it into Windows Explorer...
Eeems wrote:
yes I meant something like DaemonTools, but it has to be "portable" (no installation necessary) because I don't have the Admin password for my computer.
Ah, gotcha. I don't know of anything like that offhand, and I'm very tempted to say it's impossible, because most such programs require installing a device driver for the virtual drive.
I hope somebody has made one, because I want to be able to play Halo from my .iso but I can't without a working disk mounter. unless I was to make my own disk from the .iso ...but then I would need a blank cd, and I'm broke Sad

EDIT: hold on a sec, I was surfing the web when I found this and when I tried to run the first one on my schools computer (the upstairs one which doesn't let you do pretty much anything) let me start the installation wizard, which might mean that my Vista at home might allow it as well...anybody heard of it?

EDIT2: wait, I was reading the supported image formats and .iso isn't in them...drat

EDIT3: wait again...I was looking around some more and I found this, so it must work with .iso...then I thought about the name...magiciso...wow sometimes I can be quite dull Idea Bad Idea

PS: by the way, I was doing some reading on Deamon Tools, and apparently the latest version installs spyware on your computer, just to let you know..
I found it on this page
Eeems wrote:

How can you install Halo and not a virtual cd drive? Those are some funky rights.
I haven't installed it yet, but I could get halo CE which doesn't need installation, just a disk, I think
He can install software but not drivers, I suppose. Try installing software like winrar. It can't mount an ISO, but it can extract it's contents. That might be good enough...
I can't install software, well not all of it, some I can, but most I can't. Hmm, could I extract it with 7-zip?
EDIT: hey! it looks like I can!
magicdanw wrote:
He can install software but not drivers, I suppose. Try installing software like winrar. It can't mount an ISO, but it can extract it's contents. That might be good enough...
Yeah, I thought of that as well. And no, 7-zip can't do iso extraction iirc.
KermMartian wrote:
magicdanw wrote:
Yeah, I thought of that as well. And no, 7-zip can't do iso extraction iirc.

No, I'm pretty sure it can. I believe I just did 2 nights ago with Visual Studio 2008 + netbook in XP + 7zip.
7-Zip can extract ISOs, though how successful it is depends on the file system used on the ISO.
Eeems wrote:

What you want is impossible. The only way to mount an ISO is through a driver. There is no other way.

If you want portable gaming, get a no-cd hack.

As for just burning the ISO, hey look, its a spindle of 50 CDs for $8: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817509002
Eeems wrote:
I hope somebody has made one, because I want to be able to play Halo from my .iso but I can't without a working disk mounter. unless I was to make my own disk from the .iso ...but then I would need a blank cd, and I'm broke Sad

EDIT: hold on a sec, I was surfing the web when I found this and when I tried to run the first one on my schools computer (the upstairs one which doesn't let you do pretty much anything) let me start the installation wizard, which might mean that my Vista at home might allow it as well...anybody heard of it?

EDIT2: wait, I was reading the supported image formats and .iso isn't in them...drat

EDIT3: wait again...I was looking around some more and I found this, so it must work with .iso...then I thought about the name...magiciso...wow sometimes I can be quite dull Idea Bad Idea

PS: by the way, I was doing some reading on Deamon Tools, and apparently the latest version installs spyware on your computer, just to let you know..
I found it on this page

I believe that the software you were linking to installs drivers and therefor you couldn't install it on the computer you were talking about. As for the installer starting, I think that that will almost always start, but the install will probably fail at the point where it try's to install its driver(s). I used to use two of the pieces of software from them, and if you want all of the features on their ISO editing program it will cost you money, one of the limits on the features (as I remember them) is that it will only work on images up 400MB which I think would be an issue for you.
well I just borrowed the cd from my friend, so I'll try getting halo CE working

Kllr: I would buy the CD's but I have no money at all so I can't

EDIT: Glenn: nice ninja Evil or Very Mad
ok, hmm, that does seem to be a problem, but I think I figured out a way to work without having to use the virtual mounter...I'll just 'borrow' one of my dad's cd's and copy the halo cd I borrowed from my friend onto it
EDIT2: ok, I have a problem...for Halo CE I still need to install it, but I have the files, does anybody know how to bypass the installation?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours