Need better unicodes!

カームはだめです。

EDIT: Fixed, thanks ult dev Smile
Plus it caused this to happen in IE8(I was at a friends house)

Sorry but I didn't have any means to thumbnail it when I uploaded otherwise I would have.
oh yeah, take a look at this (FF)
Kllrnohj wrote:
Need better unicodes!

ケルムはむだです

I think I did that right :/

Nope; you mean カームはダメです。カーム is closer to "Kerm" phonetically than ケルム. Also むだ mean "futility" or "uselessness"; to say "useless" would be ダメ.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Nope; you mean カームはダメです。カーム is closer to "Kerm" phonetically than ケルム.

Yeah, I had no idea on that one.

Quote:
Also むだ mean "futility" or "uselessness"; to say "useless" would be ダメ.

Interesting. A classmate told me むだ was "useless" Smile

You have that in katakana, are you sure about that? I see it on about.com as だめ instead.

EDIT: Oh, and if you preview the post the message textarea is filled with unicode escapes Wink
Kllrnohj wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Nope; you mean カームはダメです。カーム is closer to "Kerm" phonetically than ケルム.

Yeah, I had no idea on that one.

Quote:
Also むだ mean "futility" or "uselessness"; to say "useless" would be ダメ.

Interesting. A classmate told me むだ was "useless" Smile

You have that in katakana, are you sure about that? I see it on about.com as だめ instead.

Either way is fine (although most commonly it's written in hiragana)

Kllrnohj wrote:
EDIT: Oh, and if you preview the post the message textarea is filled with unicode escapes Wink

It shows the kana characters just fine for me (although the topic title is in unicode escapes)
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
It shows the kana characters just fine for me (although the topic title is in unicode escapes)

For me the preview itself shows just fine, but all the characters in the input below the preview become unicode escapes.

I like that jisho.org, thanks for that

クームどんです。

What would "ult dev" and "kllr" be in katakana? Or would you just use the meaning translations of the two instead of trying to mimic them phonetically?
Kllrnohj wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

For me the preview itself shows just fine, but all the characters in the input below the preview become unicode escapes.

I like that jisho.org, thanks for that

You're welcome Smile

Kllrnohj wrote:
クームどんです。

You forgot the topic marker は to denote the subject of the sentence Wink

Kllrnohj wrote:
What would "ult dev" and "kllr" be in katakana? Or would you just use the meaning translations of the two instead of trying to mimic them phonetically?

For foreign names you always sound them out phonetically using katakana; for example "ultimate dev'r" would be アルティメット デバル and "kllr" would be キラ.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

*facepalm*

I mean, uh, no I didn't, I was just being really informal Laughing

Quote:
For foreign names you always sound them out phonetically using katakana; for example "ultimate dev'r" would be アルティメット デブル and "kllr" would be キラ.

I know katakana is for foreign words, I was more curious about our nicks since they aren't typical names and were chosen for their meaning.

キラはおそれ多いです。
Kllrnohj wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

*facepalm*

I mean, uh, no I didn't, I was just being really informal 0x5

Quote:
For foreign names you always sound them out phonetically using katakana; for example "ultimate dev'r" would be アルティメット デブル and "kllr" would be キラ.

I know katakana is for foreign words, I was more curious about our nicks since they aren't typical names and were chosen for their meaning.

キラはおそれ多いです。

*facepalm*

*NEVER* refer to yourself in the third person in Japanese (major cultural no-no). Also, are you trying to say you're confused?
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
*NEVER* refer to yourself in the third person in Japanese (major cultural no-no).

That was intentional Wink

Quote:
Also, are you trying to say you're confused?

http://jisho.org/words?jap=%E3%81%8A%E3%81%9D%E3%82%8C%E5%A4%9A%E3%81%84&eng=&dict=edict

I wasn't trying to...
Kllrnohj wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
*NEVER* refer to yourself in the third person in Japanese (major cultural no-no).

That was intentional Wink

Quote:
Also, are you trying to say you're confused?

http://jisho.org/words?jap=%E3%81%8A%E3%81%9D%E3%82%8C%E5%A4%9A%E3%81%84&eng=&dict=edict

I wasn't trying to...

Ah; I read it as おそれたい and thought you were using honorifics and tried to conjugate それる, my bad.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Ah; I read it as おそれたい and thought you were using honorifics and tried to conjugate それる, my bad.

あなたはぼけですよ。 Razz
Kllrnohj wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

あなたはぼけですよ。 Razz

ばか is the word you're looking for (though ぼけ works, ばか is used more commonly (don't pick the first word you see using the online translator Razz) Also don't refer to someone as あなた if you know their name).
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
(don't pick the first word you see using the online translator Razz)

I didn't, actually. I picked ぼけ instead of ばか because ぼけ seemed more like it was idiot in the sense of being out of it (at least, according to jisho.org it is)

And why can't I use あなた?
Kllrnohj wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
(don't pick the first word you see using the online translator Razz)

I didn't, actually. I picked ぼけ instead of ばか because ぼけ seemed more like it was idiot in the sense of being out of it (at least, according to jisho.org it is)

And why can't I use あなた?

In Japanese it's considered rude to call someone "you"; if you know their name use it; otherwise introduce yourself and ask them what their name is (ex: おはよございます。わたしは「Name」です。ナマエはなんですか。)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours