some bot elelelel posted.. very disturbing pics all over the place, I think I got them all. well, except 1, as it would not let me delete it because it said I didn't have permission. ><

And I failed to save the link or am able to find it now, have to go to work, will look later
rthprog found it for you. And it's not a bot, it's a person pretending to be a bot and using a Russian proxy. Thanks for the cleanup, tifreak, did you ban him?

Edit: user bannedx.
Sorry for not banning, the cleanup caused me to be late starting my paper routes, I figured he/she/it would not be back to post more before I got back to ban, so yeah, thanks for taking care of that for me. ^^

And thanks rthprog for finding that other and taking care of it, I can't believe I didn't save the link to post it.

Why in the world did I not have permission to delete it? I should have permission to delete posts in all topics on here except the news section, shouldn't I? o.O
No, you should have permission to delete anything anywhere. I'll have to look into it. Thank you for caring enough about Cemetech to sacrifice your time to help out, it's much appreciated. Smile
sometimes we get actual humans who are payed to spam forums. And sometimes we get idiots who are trolling the forum. <_< Not much we can do except delete it when it shows up. Thanks for taking care of it though.
elfprince13 wrote:
sometimes we get actual humans who are payed to spam forums. And sometimes we get idiots who are trolling the forum. <_< Not much we can do except delete it when it shows up. Thanks for taking care of it though.
In this case it's an idiot, unfortunately. Sad Yup, thanks again. Smile
What in the world are you talking about? What do you mean by bot? A Robot? What's a bot? Question Question
steelersfan1693 wrote:
What in the world are you talking about? What do you mean by bot? A Robot? What's a bot? Question Question

A bot is a computer that is on Cemetech but not actually showing it. For example, if part of my Hotmail homepage were to chech Cemetech for me, that would be considered a bot.
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
steelersfan1693 wrote:

A bot is a computer that is on Cemetech but not actually showing it. For example, if part of my Hotmail homepage were to chech Cemetech for me, that would be considered a bot.
No, that's completely incorrect. That would be considered an RSS reader or aggregator, something that we encourage.

A bot is a user that signs up for the purposes of spamming or advertising. Bots are almost always completely automated in nature, taking advantage of the fact that most phpBB boards are set up the same as other phpBB boards, that Invision boards are like other Invision boards, etc. A very small minority use actual humans for the signup process to pass any Captcha methods, then automate the spamming process once signup is complete. Cemetech attempts to defeat bots using a custom Captcha process designed by Elfprince13, and to date it has been 100% effective in preventing bot signup.
KermMartian wrote:
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
steelersfan1693 wrote:

No, that's completely incorrect. That would be considered an RSS reader or aggregator, something that we encourage.

A bot is a user that signs up for the purposes of spamming or advertising. Bots are almost always completely automated in nature, taking advantage of the fact that most phpBB boards are set up the same as other phpBB boards, that Invision boards are like other Invision boards, etc. A very small minority use actual humans for the signup process to pass any Captcha methods, then automate the spamming process once signup is complete. Cemetech attempts to defeat bots using a custom Captcha process designed by Elfprince13, and to date it has been 100% effective in preventing bot signup.

Kerm, I do believe you left a whole class of bots out of your description, crawler bots. You know those bots that are almost always showing up in the Bots online area on the left hand side of the page. I am surprised that you forgot that whole class of bot Kerm. On a somewhat related note, given the almost constant presence of Googlebot I assume Google crawls pages from this site fairly often and keep re-crawling them often at least until they fade in to oblivion?
Actually, I don't really consider that a bot under the definition I was talking about. This topic was specifically about malicious bots that try to log into the forum and post advertising or spammy material. Like RSS aggregators, search engine spiders merely read the information already available on the site.
KermMartian wrote:
Actually, I don't really consider that a bot under the definition I was talking about. This topic was specifically about malicious bots that try to log into the forum and post advertising or spammy material. Like RSS aggregators, search engine spiders merely read the information already available on the site.

I can see that point but when explaining someone who would potentially get the wrong idea (a bot is always bad) I myself would try my hardest to prevent that whenever possible though that is just my way of doing things and I know there are other valid good working methodology's.
Would a troll whatever that is be considered a bot thing ????
Confused because im still a little confused
steelersfan1693 wrote:
Would a troll whatever that is be considered a bot thing ????
Confused because im still a little confused
No, a troll is a person who purposely posts provocative material in order to get people angry, annoyed, or otherwise riled up. He or she does it merely "for the lulz" rather than believing or supporting whatever he or she posts.
A bot is necessarily an automated program that attempts to spam as many sites as possible for some more directly malicious goal, such as (1) advertising, or (2) malware distribution or penetration.
So a bot is not a real person its a program who spams or advertises on websites???
steelersfan1693 wrote:
So a bot is not a real person its a program who spams or advertises on websites???

A malicious bot yes.
steelersfan1693 wrote:
You've basically got it.
I think ive got it now

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours