How do i get my pieces to move on conways i dont understand

Edit by Kerm: "Conway's Game of Life". Please do not double-post for the nth time!! Use the EDIT button.
Conway's game of like is not so much "moving" the pieces as turning pixels on and off. As far as I remember, cells (pixels) live if they have a certain number of neighbors alive, or die if they have any other numbers of neighbors. Therefore, the most brute-force implementation would Pxl-Test to determine the number of neighbors a cell has, then Pxl-On or Pxl-Off it accordingly. However, for proper functionality you need to calculate all new pixel values from the previous state before substituting any new state values into the old state. Therefore, a matrix or list-based store might be helpful (or repeatedly swapping between two PicN's, but that's uberawkward)
I am not quite sure that I understand the whole concept... Confused
steelersfan1693 wrote:
I am not quite sure that I understand the whole concept... Confused
That's fair, here's a good explanation of how it works:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life
I have already checked that out
steelersfan1693 wrote:
I have already checked that out

I think this would be of interest:
http://www.irregulargames.com/irregulargame-of-life/

Click on "Tutorial".
Conway's game of life does not work in basic unless you can figure some revolutionary way to store the data in a manner than can be easily extracted and calculated. Learn ASM if you really want to make it.
Thanks to bouth of you

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours