Those observant souls may have noticed the PayPal Donate button I have added to the sidebar on the left. With the rising cost of maintaining this website, I find it necessary to solicite voluntary donations. If you feel in the mood to donate some money towards the domain and hosting for this site, please give the button a click. At the moment I'm aiming for $28.82 for a hosting package at http://hosting.roboticalworld.com . Thanks very much to all!
What does that one give that the $14 one doesn't, besides more space and bandwidth.
hosting doesn't look too bad cost wise, but i've never heard of that company....

i'm getting the OC5 plan from www.surpasshosting.com - $59 for 5gb, 500gb bandwidth. uses C-Panel admin (very nice) and Fantastico (3 clicks to install things, variety to choose from like PHP-Nuke and PHPBB). great service. I had a few probs, solved within 3-4 hours (back and forth about 4 times too)

just make sure you google the company and see other ppls experience first, could save alot of headaches Laughing
Alex has hosting there, so we shall see how well he does.
i love it already...

Kerm is going for the plan with a gig, i only get half a gig, but i pay half as much...

i just wish i could get my email to work...
the email on the hosting is not working?
I have my own server with 8.7 GB of space, unlimited bandwidth and uptime determined by me Very Happy
yeah, I want to build my own server, but my parents won't let me. I believe I have all the hardware I ned, an unused computer (Pentium II) and an ethernet card to connect to the router, now to convert from Win 98 to Linux Server.

Tell me if I am wrong on this.
That sounds very similar to my setup...

Yeah, that should be all you need; do you need a crash course on Linux? Smile

Quote:
yeah, I want to build my own server, but my parents won't let me.

I overcame that problem; I didn't tell them Very Happy
yeah, but they would notice in my place, no place to hide it and connect it to the router, plus they would notice it missing

Yeah could use a crash course in Linux, server style, and main comp OS, dual boot, with wireless
dual boots easy (assuming you don't need to save any data) - just delete the partition on there, and split it up, 1 partition for windows, 2 for linux (since win98 is FAT32, linux will be able to have full read/write to the windows partition if you want to transfer from one OS to the other)

for linux, one of the partitions is for swap, and should be roughly 2x the amount of RAM you have

if you have to save the data, you need to resize the windows partition, but this CAN be dangerous, and is recommended you backup your data anyway

Oh, and debian has an option to set it up with server packages (you'll see it when you get there). Make sure you get at least the first 2 CDs or no GUI for you!
Better to use a net installer CD Smile

Quote:
yeah, but they would notice in my place, no place to hide it and connect it to the router, plus they would notice it missing

Yeah could use a crash course in Linux, server style, and main comp OS, dual boot, with wireless

If you're using wireless, then why would you have to move your comp? Confused
Kll: 1: I use Win XP, not 98
2: I really don't want Linux to be able to access my Win partition
3: I will have FAT32 Pratition just for Data storage, for both OSes

Ult Dev: for the server, it would have to be moved close to the router, I want it wired (security, relibilty, nework speed), and I would have to buy a new wireless card for the srver, no spending that kind of money.
Wow, this has gotten way off-topic...Smile
Yeah, I'm happy with the hosting I've chosen to use.
This hasn't gone off-topic; we're talking about hosting solutions for websites Smile

@rivereye: Chances are your internet connection never goes above 3Mbps, so preety much any wireless setup will be sufficient, even an 802.11b setup.
Now now, let's keep this discussion legit. Smile
It is...Confused
I mean re: the "wait till your parents leave so you can install cat5" stuff.
rivereye wrote:
Kll: 1: I use Win XP, not 98
2: I really don't want Linux to be able to access my Win partition
3: I will have FAT32 Pratition just for Data storage, for both OSe

sorry, i figured you were using Win98 cause of this: "now to convert from Win 98 to Linux Server."

WinXP uses NTFS by default, linux would only be able to read from it, not write (or you could just have linux completely ignore it by not even mounting it - which is not done for you anyway, lol)
Sad No donations. Wahhh.. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours