http://brandonw.net/calcstuff/84Plus_2.42.zip

I'm assuming it is an OS that he modified.

As I tried to load it, but the calc did not accept it.
Anyone know anything about it? (maybe Brandon himself? :O)
I was under the impression that that was an unreleased beta OS that's official from TI; it's a long-known issue that it's particular heinous in the eyes of TI to modify their OSes directly based on the scandal with Michael Vincent a few years ago. I might be wrong about that though, so I'd be happy to have BrandonW interject.
That's an NSpire OS. (for the 84+ emulator) All even OS numbers above 2.41 are NSpire OSs. They're at 2.48 there.
So THAT'S why I couldn't load it on my Ti-84+..

Oops.
It was the first 84+SE OS to be used with the Nspire's emulator. What prevents it from booting on a real calculator are various "invalid instructions" or emulator traps which are used to communicate with the Nspire emulator. I stripped them out of OS 2.42 so that you could transfer it to a real 84+SE and have it (for the most part) work.

Once they started releasing more (2.44, 2.46, 2.48, etc.), I stopped doing that.

As to why that didn't work on your real 84+SE, I don't know. Smile Maybe that's not the one I actually patched, who knows.
is it worth it to update the emulator? Just curious since my nspire hasn't seen an update since I got it XD
Until we understand more about boot2 and the recent Nspire hacking efforts, I really wouldn't. If anything, downgrade to OS 1.1.
IMO, you should update it if you still have the annoying grey border in 84+ mode, cuz' the latest updates have deleted it. It's easier to look at the screen without it.
ZagorNBK wrote:
IMO, you should update it if you still have the annoying grey border in 84+ mode, cuz' the latest updates have deleted it. It's easier to look at the screen without it.

If you have any interest at all in helping with the Nspire hacking effort, I recommend against that.

We have a dump of the latest boot2 update, but we DON'T yet have a dump of the original boot2 image, and if you update your OS to one that includes a boot2 update, you will wipe out the original image.

It's sort of like the PSP community; don't upgrade until you have a very good reason to or understanding of what you're losing/gaining by doing so.

But if you don't care about helping out, then by all means, update. Smile
Do you mean that if you update the boot2, you won't be able to put the old one back, even if you downgrade?
If that's the case, it sucks 'cuz I've already done the upgrade.
Correct.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours