SAX
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerm was expressing interest in getting SAX re-intergrated into the #cemetech IRC channel. I came up with an interesting method of getting SAX to work some-what through IRC.

Each SAX widget will have it's own user name - Cemetech, Rivereye, UnSS, etc - that would appear in the channel. Lastly, there would be another bot that is SAX. The SAX widgets will get their information through the SAX Bot.

A new admin panel for phpBB Sax (if one exists) will allow the admins to specify if IRC Chat is posted to & from SAX out of & into the IRC channel. Perhaps a list of users that will able to [private] message SAX and be able to post to - and see chatter on - phpBB SAX.

If the admin(s) allow for SAX to post IRC chatter, then it'd show up as normal SAX chat as opposed to before:
New

Code:
TI:M:E (#) User: Words

Old

Code:
TI:M:E IRC: User: Words

Where (#) Would signify coming from an IRC channel with an <acronym> tag detailing the respective IRC channel (if more than one channel, mayhaps?)

It's a rough idea that will need some hammering and tweaking.
I can't believe that I never noticed this topic before. Sad Too bad we already dealt with this with the (#) deal.

Anyway, I'm bumping this because it's an aptly-named thread to publicize that SAX now does highlighting. Mention at least the first four letters of someone's nick, and the text will appear on a black instead of maroon background in that person's SAX. In addition, if the tab with Cemetech is out of focus, the titlebar will flash until the window regains focus. Feedback? Is it annoying? I'd be happy to remove the flashing if people don't like it, or make it stop after a certain number of flashes.

Also, as a reminder, SAX does suck down a fair bit of bandwidth and MySQL load, so it's always nice to try not to leave 10 Cemetech tabs open on your computer and go away on vacation. Smile Cheers!
how about instead of having it flash "-----" you have it flash something like "NICK poked you"?
KermMartian wrote:

Also, as a reminder, SAX does suck down a fair bit of bandwidth and MySQL load, so it's always nice to try not to leave 10 Cemetech tabs open on your computer and go away on vacation. Smile Cheers!
On Omnimaga, after 4 minutes, OmnomIRC stops refreshing and displays a "Session timed out. Click here to refresh." message instead. I think the online list still updates, but every minute, so it's not too bad.

I think the session timed out thing is buggy, though, because even when chatting, it still displays after 4 minutes anyway. Regardless, it helps if someone left Omni open with 10 tabs and went away for 2 weeks.
Yeah, I was thinking about making about a 30 minute timer or a one hour timer or so. I probably will do so.
DJ, how about you extend the time out to, say, 10 or 20 mins?
qazz42 wrote:
DJ, how about you extend the time out to, say, 10 or 20 mins?
I think it might not be DJ's perogative, but rather Netham's, since he's the one whose bandwidth is getting hosed. Smile
Uh... Kerm... We've got a small problem....

KeithJohansen wrote:
Uh... Kerm... We've got a small problem....

Have you F5'd (or Ctrl-F5 in Chrome, I think) your window recently to grab the latest saxjax.js? If you do so and the problem persists, I'll try to trace it down.
Actually, this just happened once so far and I'm not sure it'll happen again.... Also, I'm pretty sure I've got the latest saxjax.js
KeithJohansen wrote:
Actually, this just happened once so far and I'm not sure it'll happen again.... Also, I'm pretty sure I've got the latest saxjax.js
I'd appreciate if you'd keep your eye on it. Smile If it recurs, could you take a quick glance at your Tools->Error Console (assuming you're in Firefox) and see if there's anything interesting or relevant at the end?
Can't... I accidentally closed the tab without thinking so I've pretty much lost the massive FAIL... if it reoccurs, I'll check the Error Console.
KeithJohansen wrote:
Can't... I accidentally closed the tab without thinking so I've pretty much lost the massive FAIL... if it reoccurs, I'll check the Error Console.
That's what I assumed, thank you, no trouble at all. Smile If anyone else notices that bug, I'd appreciate a shout.
The Highlighting and blinking tab is catchy but how about something more visual if you're scrolled down the page and can't see SAX?

I mentioned a floating SAX so as the user scrolls SAX stays on screen, and Kerm why won't it work again?

Would it be possible to check if the <DIV> tag is on screen and if it isn't on screen, display a pop-up on the screen to alert the user?
comicIDIOT wrote:
The Highlighting and blinking tab is catchy but how about something more visual if you're scrolled down the page and can't see SAX?
I'm all ears.

comicIDIOT wrote:
I mentioned a floating SAX so as the user scrolls SAX stays on screen, and Kerm why won't it work again?
Because SAX is usually longer than your screen. It would only make sense to scroll the bottom of it if that was going to be off the top edge of the screen. I really don't like pages where elements scroll with you, though; I find that super-obnoxious.

comicIDIOT wrote:
Would it be possible to check if the <DIV> tag is on screen and if it isn't on screen, display a pop-up on the screen to alert the user?
Indeed it would; I'd just need a good way to figure out if the div was onscreen.
KermMartian wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
I'm all ears.
I managed to mix my paragraphs, the last one was suppose to follow this. I just forgot to merge them Rolling Eyes

Quote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
Because SAX is usually longer than your screen. It would only make sense to scroll the bottom of it if that was going to be off the top edge of the screen. I really don't like pages where elements scroll with you, though; I find that super-obnoxious.
Find it annoying for "Share" links but if it's a live feed such as chat it could be beneficial.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Find it annoying for "Share" links but if it's a live feed such as chat it could be beneficial.
I could see the benefit of a little 16x16 chat icon that would softly pulse at one corner of the screen if you had a SAX highlight inbound. However, that would be the most intrusive that I'd prefer.
I don't really remember exactly if this has been covered or talked about a little, but how about having an option to hide SAX or turn it off on the user's end? No just the timeout thing. That way if they are connected on IRC they don't have to use up their CPU with SAX running and giving the same stuff.
Eeems wrote:
I don't really remember exactly if this has been covered or talked about a little, but how about having an option to hide SAX or turn it off on the user's end? No just the timeout thing. That way if they are connected on IRC they don't have to use up their CPU with SAX running and giving the same stuff.
Disable it on a per-user basis, or on a per-window basis? I'd assume you mean on a per-user basis; maybe have a little switch on SAX itself that would turn it off for you until you turn it on again? I'd certainly be in favor of that, as would my bandwidth. Razz
Per user Smile My bandwidth would like this too Razz Same with my CPU Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
SAX
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 10
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours