SAX
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eeems wrote:
Per user Smile My bandwidth would like this too Razz Same with my CPU Razz
Aight, I'm pretty strongly in favor of this; it would require one more column in the users table and a new callback in site somewhere, so not a ton of work for me. Does anyone have additional agreeing or dissenting opinions?
??? Sax uses CPU ???
allynfolksjr wrote:
??? Sax uses CPU ???
Well sure, the Javascript engine has to shift around DOZENS of byte every time there's some new chat text that comes through. Smile
Quote:
??? Sax uses CPU ???

lol, well if you think about it, I have a single core computer, and I have twitter, facebook and Cemetech open as well as IRC, so it all adds up...I'd rather out what I can where I can.
Eeems wrote:
Quote:
??? Sax uses CPU ???

0x5, well if you think about it, I have a single core computer, and I have twitter, facebook and Cemetech open as well as IRC, so it all adds up...I'd rather out what I can where I can.
All of which happily churn away at their AJAX connections, fortunately or unfortunately.
I was wondering, for the notifications on when someone says your name, how about adding an alert on the favicon as well? On Firefox 4 if you have Cemetech in an apptab you can't see the title when it's flashing.
Here is some resources on how to work with favicons with javascript if you want it Smile
http://softwareas.com/dynamic-favicons
Eeems wrote:
I was wondering, for the notifications on when someone says your name, how about adding an alert on the favicon as well? On Firefox 4 if you have Cemetech in an apptab you can't see the title when it's flashing.
Here is some resources on how to work with favicons with javascript if you want it Smile
http://softwareas.com/dynamic-favicons
Nifty! I'll definitely consider that, although I'm concerned about making the page too heavy and non-cross-browser. Smile I still have the SAX disablement on my agenda, as well as an admin command to mute and unmute SAX, which I used to have but lost.
Too bad nobody uses Firefox. Nice idea though.
Really? That's not what these pages say:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers
http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/stat_trends.htm
Correction: nobody in "the know" uses Firefox. Firefox is what you recommend to your grandma because it works. Grandma doesn't need speed, cutting-edge features, or standards compliance, because lord knows Firefox doesn't have any of those features.
How is that "SAX disable" thing coming Wink Also, could the popout SAX be made to have a "say" button like the main one? I can't use it on my iPod without it because iPod doesn't think people use the enter key >.> Also, just out of curiosity, why does SAX not send messages starting with numbers?
Yeah, that's kinda gotten lost in the whole gCn/ Cn2.2/ Chat conglomeration of projects making great strides. I can certainly add a Say button, as long as you don't mind reminding me a few times tonight and/or tomorrow. And there's a good reason for not sending number-only SAX messages, but until I remember why I blocked it (having not added a comment about it) I will be leaving the block in.
*bump* Cemetech's SAX chat widget has been upgraded with a different highlight notification, to show when someone is trying to get your attention on SAX. Now, instead of the window titlebars flashing, a small div appears in the upper-right corner of Cemetech pages, flashes its border, and disappears after six seconds. It also scrolls with pages now, thanks to Merth's suggestion. Any other comments or suggestions? Should it stay until you scroll again so that people won't miss it?
I liked Merths idea of putting it in the bottom left, like Facebook, since most of us have grown to it.

Also, two hour long post ftw.
Sounds good, bottom-left it is. Two questions:
1) If new items arrive while the box is visible, replace or append?
2) One suggestion was to leave the box until the window is scrolled or 6 seconds expires, whichever happens later. Thoughts?
1: Appending new messages will be better, imo.
2: I think it should be 10 seconds, of if the user scrolls the page, whichever happens earlier.
1) I think append would be good.
2) Wait, whichever happens later? So if I scroll and it's only been 3 seconds, it stays? What if it's been 16 seconds but I haven't scrolled? Does it stay up? Maybe have an x on it to close it (like Facebook)?
1) Glad we agree on append
2) So if you scroll, it stays 6 seconds. If you don't, it'll sit there waiting for you until you scroll to make it go away. No good?
1) Append.
2) Why later?
Deep Thought wrote:
1) Append.
2) Why later?
2) So that if you get up from your computer and come back half an hour later, hour highlights will be waiting. Many times people come back, say "my titlebar is flashing, does anyone know what I was highlighted for"? Now they'll know.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
SAX
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 10
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours