After at least a year of downtime, the SaxJax IRC-SAX linker bot is back online. Originally written in Python for the old text-based SAX, I upgraded it to work with the new SQL-based SAX and put it on a semipermanent server. I was prompted by two recent topics, one Glenn's discussion about a possible switch from #cemetech on irc.efnet.net to an XMPP-based chat, the other comicIDIOT's SAX suggestions topic. I look forward to more discussion in SAX (and fewer continuous pages of joins and parts), and further future interconnection within Cemetech and in the community as a whole.
In the meantime, I'm still seeing
Quote:
(C) IRC:
on the side, instead of
Quote:
(I)

It's nice to have #cemetech relinked though.

also, I see no particular need to link multiple channels in via IRC. Maybe multiple servers if we had a presence on irc.unitedti.org, but that's about it....
Nice to have IRC connected again but I think it should just stay limited to EFNet #Cemetech. The channel tends to make SAX busy enough and adding more channels to the mix will only make it more so and much harder to follow along with conversation.
Elfprince, I'll see what I can do with changing it to (I). I also see that I need to strip color codes in the IRC->SAX direction, and figure out why SaxJax eventually stops reading SAX->IRC messages, which I think I know. Finally, I believe there is some HTML stripping for me to do based on reports.
KermMartian wrote:
Elfprince, I'll see what I can do with changing it to (I).
May I suggest using (#) instead? I have no issues with (I) just that I believe the pound sign will be a faster visual differentiation than 'I.'
comicIDIOT wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
May I suggest using (#) instead? I have no issues with (I) just that I believe the pound sign will be a faster visual differentiation than 'I.'
Oooh, I like it, definitely seconded.
comicIDIOT wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I third that suggestion! Smile
KeithJohansen wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I third that suggestion! Smile

I fifth it.
I had two accounts in the room today and when I quit one of them I noticed SAXJAX didn't announce it had left, though it had announced it's arrival.

Kerm, you plan to implement more activity reporting?
Yeah I noticed the same thing, also I like the (#) instead of IRC: <username>: it looks really nice Smile
also...I was wondering, is there a way you could add something that would tell you the list of online irc users?
Eeems wrote:
I was wondering, is there a way you could add something that would tell you the list of online irc users?
Perhaps not in the inline widget put maybe in the pop-out... I like that idea!
Yeah, that's what I was thinking...and if he could improve the popout sax to support mobile devices like an iPhone better, that would be nice as well...
comicIDIOT wrote:
I had two accounts in the room today and when I quit one of them I noticed SAXJAX didn't announce it had left, though it had announced it's arrival.

Kerm, you plan to implement more activity reporting?
Implemented. I also implemented announcement of nick changes.

Edit: Added ability to parse forum links, turn them into tinyURLs before posting in #cemetech, and even append the in-page links (the #12345 things) so it still works properly. Sax itself doesn't parse urls posted in it quite properly, I noticed; I'll have to deal with that tomorrow.
Kerm, Spotted this today:
Hmm, that's an interesting fail. Thanks for grabbing it, I'll have to look into it. Smile
Use a real client and that would not have happened.
Mobile support would be nice but with the existence of mobile IRC clients that's kinda a moot point. The one thing I would like to see is Links posted on the irc side of things being links in sax or maybe even tinyurl'ed.
they already are tiny-url'd
Eeems wrote:
Posts from SAX are tiny-url'd in IRC, unsure if it's the other way around.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Eeems wrote:
Posts from SAX are tiny-url'd in IRC, unsure if it's the other way around.

yeah I meant the links posted on IRC be tinyurled for SAX so long links don't break it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours