As far as hunger, negative reinforcement with a bit of randomness should work. The more it sells, the less hungry people should be, so then they will buy less, so then they will be more hungry and buy more, cycle repeats.
What do you mean you gotta help me out Kerm this is my first game i got alot done but im stuck here
basicly he is saying, You start with like 100 in the hunger part and everytime 5 people go to see the movie decrease hunger by one 'till it is 0. Then you would put up another movie and restart the whole cycle.
_player1537 wrote:
basicly he is saying, You start with like 100 in the hunger part and everytime 5 people go to see the movie decrease hunger by one 'till it is 0. Then you would put up another movie and restart the whole cycle.
Not exactly. I'm saying that for one day, the more people buy things, the less likely others are to buy. Actually, you should probably decrease the granularity to showings, two-hour periods, something like that.
Now im confused your telling me two different things.Im just confused sorry...
steelersfan1693 wrote:
Now im confused your telling me two different things.Im just confused sorry...
I'm not sure what Kerm is after here, but he's also saying you should decrease the granularity, or the quality and condition of small grains or particles. In this case granularity would be the boxes of Junior Mints, bars of Snickers, etc. If 2000 people watch movies in the first part of the day, perhaps 1100 of them will by snacks.

If you have a pile of 10,000 concession items for the day, you'd decrease the amount of items you have to sell.
I would base concessions sold on number of viewers, ticket price, and time of day (period). The amount/quality of the product is less important for this kind of simulation. Of course, you could factor that in later, but for now, let's keep the problem somewhat simple.

For N individuals who pay T dollars for a ticket at the Sth showing,
#of people who buy food = N(.75 -.25sin(50S°) -.04T)

How did I arrive at that magical formula?

.72N-.25N(1+sin(50S°)) + .04N(7-T)
=N(.72 - .25 - .25sin(50S°) + .04*7 - .04T)
= N(.75 -.25sin(50S°) -.04T)

Assuming that you have a showing of a movie about once every two hours, and the cost (T) of a ticket is greater than 0, it models sales relatively well.

Things to note:

1) As always, it's important to play with the constants in the formula to make the results feel more realistic. I have no idea as to how much food is sold at movie theaters; I'm just guessing here. For example, if you change ".25" to ".1", the number of people who buy food will swing less drastically.

2) In addition, make sure you add some (psuedo)randomness, perhaps subtracting something like a 0%~5% of N.

2) I chose to use the "°" degree symbol because I wanted to avoid the hassle of having to set/change Radian/Degree settings, which sometimes frustrates the end user.
Granularity refers to the size of a unit, for example, the granularity of "per hour" is 24x smaller than the granularity of "per day". I wasn't really talking about the granularity of the snacks, I was talking about the granularity of the time period that you base the hunger of the audience on. I was thinking that after an hour or two, close to 100% of the audience is fresh (ie, wasn't there in the previous time period) and thus whatever baseline of hunger you have can be reset to its default. Obviously, as people buy things that hunger value goes down making it less likely for people to buy, and then if it's depressed for a while (but less than the time unit size before the audience is completely fresh) they'll be hungry again, sales will increase again, and hunger will decrease again, so hunger will be like a sine wave and sales will be like a sine wave with a phase shift of 90 to 180 degrees.
Istill dont understand what you all these granularity terms mean can you explain more so in the future i will understand better. I dont want people thinking im having you guys code it for me<Glory and LafferJM> do you get my point or at least see my perspective of the situation
steelersfan1693 wrote:
Istill dont understand what you all these granularity terms mean can you explain more so in the future i will understand better. I dont want people thinking im having you guys code it for me<Glory and LafferJM> do you get my point or at least see my perspective of the situation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granularity. Did the formula rthprog gave you make sense to you?
steelersfan1693 wrote:
Istill dont understand what you all these granularity terms mean can you explain more so in the future i will understand better.

In short, the number of people buying food will go up and down in regular intervals... which is why that equation I gave you contains "sin("; to make a sinusoidal (up and down) wave.
KermMartian wrote:
steelersfan1693 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granularity. Did the formula rthprog gave you make sense to you?

I wsh i could say yes but it confused me because i dont know what numbers to use and if i did know I would not know where to put him
just play with the coefficients make either, not both bold numbers larger or smaller to change how many people buy food.

#of people who buy food=N(.75 -.25sin(50S°) -.04T)
CAN YOU LABEL THE DIFFERENT PARTS
rthprog wrote:
N(.75 -.25sin(50S°) -.04T)

steelersfan1693 wrote:
The different parts of the equation? Also, there is no need to type in caps-lock. It doesn't make your post stand out any more than it does already.
steelersfan1693 wrote:

#of people who buy food=N(.75 -.25sin(50S°) -.04T)

just for a second, ignore the -.04T. The function y= N(.75-.25sin(anything)) would swing between N(.75 -.25) and N(.75 + .25) because the range of sin(anything) is [-1,1]. Thus, this function alone would swing between 50% and 100% of the total number of people.

Now, the -.04T is used to correlate the amount of food sold with the cost of a ticket. The higher the value of T, the less food sold... understand?

There really isn't anything to "label", since the different constants don't really stand for anything... what is more important is there relationship with others.

For tweaking, follow these pointers:

1) For N individuals who pay T dollars for a ticket at the Sth showing,
#of people who buy food=N(A -Bsin(CS°) -DT)
2) A + B <= 1
3) A>=B (because A-B >= 0)
4) C is about 50
5) D >= 0
comicIDIOT wrote:
rthprog wrote:
N(.75 -.25sin(50S°) -.04T)

steelersfan1693 wrote:
The different parts of the equation? Also, there is no need to type in caps-lock. It doesn't make your post stand out any more than it does already.
I apologize I was in a hurry and I must have turned it on subconsciously
steelersfan1693 wrote:
I apologize I was in a hurry and I must have turned it on subconsciously

you mean unconsciously Laughing

did that help?
Whatever Laughing Smile
I am sorry but I am really in need of help, because I am very close to giving up on this game.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours