It's an idea I've tossed around for quite a few months, and which various Cemetech members have mentioned on IRC, so I've finally decided to try out a rudimentary Cemetech twitter bot. You can find it at http://www.twitter.com/cemetech; please follow it! I still need to add the capability to have it refollow everyone who follows it. Its current capabilites are threefold: tweeting new topics posted on Cemetech, tweeting news articles on Cemetech, and reporting site, archives, and forum statistics at the end of the day. Can you guys think of anything more (or less, if you disagree with the current functionality) that it should do?
KermMartian wrote:
It's an idea I've tossed around for quite a few months, and which various Cemetech members have mentioned on IRC, so I've finally decided to try out a rudimentary Cemetech twitter bot. You can find it at http://www.twitter.com/cemetech; please follow it! I still need to add the capability to have it refollow everyone who follows it. Its current capabilites are threefold: tweeting new topics posted on Cemetech, tweeting news articles on Cemetech, and reporting site, archives, and forum statistics at the end of the day. Can you guys think of anything more (or less, if you disagree with the current functionality) that it should do?
Statistics. As much as this is love, I find it unimportant at the end of everyday. Perhaps, if it tweeted the differences or once a week.

Search for #cemetech hastags and retweet posts that seem to match our own, internal trending topics. Perhaps spanning a few days to a week.

I can't think of anything else at this time.
Oooh, I like the retweet idea. For the tweets with #cemetech hashtags, are you suggesting posting them in SAX, retweeting them, both, or neither?
Hm, SAX wouldn't be a bad idea. Retweeting wouldn't be bad either, but since we all watch each other retweeting would be kind of moot, perhaps just tweet trending topics/words amongst ourselves?
Is the past tense of 'tweet' 'twat'? Because that would make my day.
foamy3 wrote:
Is the past tense of 'tweet' 'twat'? Because that would make my day.
I would go with 'tweeted', although I think 'twot' (think TW-oh-t) would be entertaining.

@comicIDIOT OK, tweeting trending words and topics it is, basically from reviewing the recent posts and looking for repeated phrases and words? (Heh, I should get Simms to work on this)
I say tweeted.
KermMartian wrote:
@comicIDIOT OK, tweeting trending words and topics it is, basically from reviewing the recent posts and looking for repeated phrases and words?
Correct. I think the same idea could go with the topics here on the forums. Say if a topic gets five posts in a day, it'll be a trending topic.

But would that be too much for one tweet? Both Twitter & Forum trending topics? Hmm. Perhaps the forum topics get their own post (esp. old ones) if they surpass a daily post threshold?
Ah, to clarify, as you saying it should look for both trending topics as in threads and topics as in phrases/words/ideas? Or only one of the two? I agree that topics (threads) should get retweeted after their initial creation if they're popular.
KermMartian wrote:
Ah, to clarify, as you saying it should look for both trending topics as in threads and topics as in phrases/words/ideas? Or only one of the two? I agree that topics (threads) should get retweeted after their initial creation if they're popular.
I was thinking only tweets but I started to think adding in topics (both new and old) would be a good idea, again if they prove popular.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours