I think TICI is now obselete (for the 84 series) with the arrival of usb8x, which is amazing.
THat may be true, if you can get it to work with a network hub, which I think could be done. But, what if I want to use an 83+
Exactly. And what if you want multiple devices, something possible with TICI 2.0?
usb8x? is that the built-in USB controller or something?
no... usb8x is a flash app that was released that allows you to use various USB devices with an 84+/SE... in fact, almost any PC compatible device should work...
Ya, in fact it can play movies in mpeg format! there's an amazing example posted on ticalcs homepage Smile
i didn't think that was in mpeg format (never mentions that in the news), i thought it was just demonstarting the ability to use USB drives to expand the calc's space... either way, looks cool, i'll try it out soon
KermMartian wrote:
Exactly. And what if you want multiple devices, something possible with TICI 2.0?

Wouldn't it be more feasible to just use a splitter?
@ Jon: No, how would you address it? And what about the 83+/se?
Re: MPEG: No, they just converted it to a mobileTunes-like video format. You can actually do the same thing without usb8x. Smile
O sorry, I thought I read somewhere, somebody was talking about mpeg. Still, its very impressive. I never thought a calculator would have the framerate necessary to play movies Exclamation
it is one third of the frames of the actual movie I heard. (I may be wrong)
That's correct. Never heard of calc vid before?!? mobileTunes?!? Surprised Smile
KermMartian wrote:

Really? I'm certain there's such a thing as a USB hub.
Of course you *could* play a video clip on your calculator without the help of an external memory source, but usb8x allows you to actually view more than a 10 second clip.

Edit: And yes, there are USB hubs, if they didn't exist, I expect that mine shouldn't be here then. With a fair amount of work you can get a USB hub to work, but why would you need that many external devices? This is a calculator, after all.
I realize that the 84 series can use a hub, but the 83+ series cannot, thus necessitating TICI x.0
[quote="allynfolksjr]but why would you need that many external devices? This is a calculator, after all.[/quote]
Two words: keyboard & mouse.

@Kerm: Sorry for sounding so conceited, what I mean is for the 84 series.
Don't worry, no offense taken. Smile
And yes, exactly.
Quote:

Demultiplexers and asynchronous transfers, or a microcontroller...
has anyone released any of the drivers for usb8x yet, or all they still in development? as for the TICI 2.0 I still think it would be a good idea for two reasons, A. for all the 83+ owners, and B. Competition drives development (to a point, taken too far it can kill it too)
I like the idea. competiton can help make things better.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours