Quote:
So you want the girl to go through the process of pregnancy for a child that she's just going to give up for adoption?
Yes, so the child won't go through the process of death. Nine months of (at the most) discomfort for the mother, in exchange for decades of somebody else's life? Yes please.
foamy3 wrote:
Yes.

cool. Make sure you tell you all the kids you know who were born prematurely that you would have been happy to kill them for another 2 months if a medical fluke hadn't cause them to pop out early. See how that goes.

Quote:

So you want the girl to go through the process of pregnancy for a child that she's just going to give up for adoption? She'll most likely be out of school for an extended period of time, out of work for an extended period of time, spending (whether directly or not) more on regular hospital visits and pregnancy supplements, and will suffer through the social consequences of being a teen mother.

Yes. Dealing with consequences instead of shuffling them off onto someone else is how people learn.

Quote:
Responsible teen sex, in my opinion, entails use of at least one form of contraception (be it the pill or a type of barrier protection). My original point is that even when following these practices, it is still entirely possible to become pregnant. Until there is a widely available form of reliable/affordable/easy-to-use birthcontrol, I don't see banning abortion as an option.

So what you're saying here is that unlike most abortion advocates, your argument isn't based around some belief that women have a right to kill anything growing in their womb, but rather you feel that they should have a reasonable way to avoid the social stigma of teen motherhood, and that should some other method become available, you would be ok with banning abortion?
elfprince13 wrote:
So what you're saying here is that unlike most abortion advocates, your argument isn't based around some belief that women have a right to kill anything growing in their womb, but rather you feel that they should have a reasonable way to avoid the social stigma of teen motherhood, and that should some other method become available, you would be ok with banning abortion?

No, not at all. Do to the nature of your posts, I was under the impression that we were discussing abortion as a form of birth control. Talking about the civil liberty aspect of it is an entirely different issue. What I said was that given the current birth control options, it's unreasonable to consider banning abortion. The constitutionality of abortion shouldn't even be addressed until we find an answer to our birth control problem.

And by the way, maybe people referring to women's liberties as "some belief" is the reason no girls hang out here in the first place. :p
foamy3 wrote:
No, not at all. Do to the nature of your posts, I was under the impression that we were discussing abortion as a form of birth control. Talking about the civil liberty aspect of it is an entirely different issue. What I said was that given the current birth control options, it's unreasonable to consider banning abortion. The constitutionality of abortion shouldn't even be addressed until we find an answer to our birth control problem.

The constitutionality of a child's right to life is of first importance, regardless of what other troubles it may engender. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of property (yes, I know the famous version says happiness) are ideals our country was founded on. At least 2 of those I agree with, and those are the 2 most obviously at stake here.

foamy3 wrote:
And by the way, maybe people referring to women's liberties as "some belief" is the reason no girls hang out here in the first place. :p

If "women's liberties" is the euphemism you choose to refer to a woman's choice to kill her unborn infant because she doesn't want it, then can we also use "father's liberties" to mean a father's choice to kill some other kid's father because he doesn't like how the hockey game went?

No, but really. I full believe that women should have all the same rights as men. This just doesn't include a right to infanticide.
Okay, so throughout this thread, I'm the only one who answered this. Where do you see life as starting?
foamy3 wrote:
Okay, so throughout this thread, I'm the only one who answered this. Where do you see life as starting?
Conception.
calc84maniac wrote:
foamy3 wrote:
Conception.

Okay, so you don't see a difference between Plan B and IDX?
calc84maniac wrote:
foamy3 wrote:
Conception.

I know I said I was avoiding this topic, but this is one point that I'm interested in. If life starts at conception, when does death occur? Because your body is still quite alive when we consider the person dead (even for several days if not weeks after they're buried). Thus, if the cells of the body does not equate to the life of the person when discussing death, then logically life is also decoupled from the cells of the body when discussing the creation of a life. Thus, a person would *not* be alive at conception.
I'm not a fan of any "emergency" contraception such as Plan B, but I also have to say that Kllrnohj is probably right about whether or not conception is the *actual* point at which human life begins, as pointed to by the existence of mosaicism and monozygotic twins in humans. Assuming that humans are, in fact, spiritual beings, it seems absurd to me to suggest that a human spirit somehow "twins" itself or mosaicizes itself with another spirit.

That being said, I typically choose to side with the "life-begins-at-conception" crowd anyway, to avoid the risk of giving *my* approval for taking the life of one of God's image-bearers because we just don't have a set mark at which we can say "this is alive"
Plan B doesn't terminate an existing pregnancy, rather it prevents pregnancy from forming in the first place. That being said, if we can't be sure exactly when life begins, should we not air on the side of caution? At the very least, can we not agree that human life is present when there are brain waves and a heartbeat?
DShiznit wrote:
Plan B doesn't terminate an existing pregnancy, rather it prevents pregnancy from forming in the first place. That being said, if we can't be sure exactly when life begins, should we not air on the side of caution? At the very least, can we not agree that human life is present when there are brain waves and a heartbeat?

Emergency contraception can be used to prevent post-fertilization implantation.

And no. Until it is born, I see it as a part of the mother's body.
foamy3 wrote:
And yet, it has its own unique DNA.
calc84maniac wrote:
foamy3 wrote:

Useless info.
calc84maniac wrote:
foamy3 wrote:

And yet, it is still inside of and physically attached to the mother.
If I shove my fist up your a, am I not inside and physically attached to you?
Inside, partially. Attached, no.
what if I grab the inside of your large intestine and go bowling with your a?
I think that's not quite the meaning of attached that foamy had in mind Wink
DShiznit wrote:
That being said, if we can't be sure exactly when life begins, should we not air on the side of caution? At the very least, can we not agree that human life is present when there are brain waves and a heartbeat?

I would say to err on the side of caution by saying that life begins when there is brain activity. A heartbeat isn't important.

calc84maniac wrote:

So do tapeworms.
DShiznit wrote:
what if I grab the inside of your large intestine and go bowling with your a?

Did not need that mental image Neutral

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours