calc84maniac wrote:
Killing babies with "defects detected" is like killing off handicapped people. I mean, seriously? >_<

Yes, it would be. However, we were talking about aborting fetuses, not killing babies. And if the woman carrying the egg doesn't feel like she could handle raising a child, she should have the right to abort it. Though this seems discriminatory to do it based on disabilities, that is certainly a factor in whether or not the woman would be able to care for it properly.
foamy3 wrote:
However, we were talking about aborting fetuses, not killing babies.
HAHAHA
Quote:
And if the woman carrying the egg doesn't feel like she could handle raising a child, she should have the right to abort it.
Mhmm, what are these rights. People think they have rights to everything they want these days. It has really dumbed down the meaning of the word.
I didn't say she had the right; I had said she SHOULD have the right.
ITT: Religion getting in the way of logic.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Religion has nothing to do with it; if you want to play that card, "God" kills babies all the time.

Quote:
we were talking about aborting fetuses, not killing babies.

I already covered this in my last post, but you missed the point completely. We cannot clearly define at what point that fetus becomes a baby, and becomes a human life, which is why I think we should really air more on the side of caution, in that we don't just wantonly kill them. It's not that abortion shouldn't be an option, it just needs to be taken a lot more seriously than it is now, because you are ending the life of something that, when left to it's own devices, will become a human being. Sometimes that's okay, there are plenty of reasons why it may be infeasible for a given mother to bring a child full term, but as with any procedure, all options must be considered first.
DShiznit wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Religion has nothing to do with it; if you want to play that card, "God" kills babies all the time.

O rly? Where do you get your sense of "morality" from?
DShiznit wrote:
Quote:
we were talking about aborting fetuses, not killing babies.

I already covered this in my last post, but you missed the point completely. We cannot clearly define at what point that fetus becomes a baby, and becomes a human life, which is why I think we should really air more on the side of caution

I already covered this in one of my last posts but you missed the point completely. I disagree with you. I'm not just going to accept you calling a fetus a baby because I'm tired of you nagging about it. Either use more neutral wording, or get used to it.
Looky here...

Definitions of baby wrote:
an unborn child; a human fetus; "I felt healthy and very feminine carrying the baby"; "it was great to feel my baby moving about inside"
calc84maniac wrote:
Looky here...

an unborn child; a human fetus; "I felt healthy and very feminine carrying the baby"; "it was great to feel my baby moving about inside"

Oh, well if an un-cited source posted by a forum member with an opposing viewpoint posted it, I guess I have to believe it! Rolling Eyes
I'm talking about word definitions, yo. Calling a fetus a baby is by no means a mistake.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Not the Bible, if that's what you're getting at. I may be a Roman Catholic, but I don't let that dictate to me what I feel in my heart is right or wrong.

foamy3 wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:
Looky here...

Oh, well if an un-cited source posted by a forum member with an opposing viewpoint posted it, I guess I have to believe it! Rolling Eyes

HE DID cite a source...
DShiznit wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Not the Bible, if that's what you're getting at. I may be a Roman Catholic, but I don't let that dictate to me what I feel in my heart is right or wrong.

How does your heart feel what is right and what is not?

DShiznit wrote:
foamy3 wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:
Looky here...

HE DID cite a source...

The definition is unsourced.
DShiznit wrote:

foamy3 wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:
Looky here...

HE DID cite a source...

Where? I just looked over it again. I still don't see one.

calc84maniac wrote:
I'm talking about word definitions, yo. Calling a fetus a baby is by no means a mistake.

Hold on, I think you're confusing me with you. I never said what you said was wrong. I am telling you that it is an opinion that I do not agree with.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

You know damn well what that metaphor refers to.

And, even though you guys are way too old to need this:

Could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure Princeton U is a pretty reputable source for word definitions, which are statements of fact, not opinion.
DShiznit wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Actually, no, which is why I asked the question.

DShiznit wrote:

Could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure Princeton U is a pretty reputable source for word definitions, which are statements of fact, not opinion.

OMFG AMBIGUOUS SAUCE!!!!!!!1!1!!!!!!!
It was not made apparent that the Princeton sauce was for all the preceding definitions, not just for the definition in which the link is found.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Actually, no, which is why I asked the question.

If you really don't get what the metaphor of "I know it in my heart" means, you're a complete idiot(which I doubt).

Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

OMFG AMBIGUOUS SAUCE!!!!!!!1!1!!!!!!!
It was not made apparent that the Princeton sauce was for all the preceding definitions, not just for the definition in which the link is found.

What's not apparent? There's a list of definitions, followed by a link to a reputable source. That seems pretty apparent to me. Especially when you click the damn link:
Ah, I didn't see that the 'looky here' was a link. I assumed it was just telling us to look at the quote you posted after it. It would have been much clearer if it was a URL.

And seriously? That's the 4th definition down. Did you happen to just skip over the first one? It specifically says birth to 1 year.
foamy3 wrote:
And seriously? That's the 4<sup>th</sup> definition down. Did you happen to just skip over the first one? It specifically says birth to 1 year.

Yes, and the list of definitions is related by inclusive or. It is a child birth to one year, or the youngest in a group, or a childish person, or an unborn child, etc.
calc84maniac wrote:
foamy3 wrote:
And seriously? That's the 4<sup>th</sup> definition down. Did you happen to just skip over the first one? It specifically says birth to 1 year.

Yes, and the list of definitions is related by inclusive or. It is a child birth to one year, or the youngest in a group, or a childish person, or an unborn child, etc.

..which is another good reason to specify the difference when you said we were talking about killing babies. I doubt you can find a definition for 'unborn fetus' that implies they are between birth and 1 year old. But if you feel that using ambiguity to trick people into feeling guilt is your best angle, more power to you. Rolling Eyes
foamy3 wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:
foamy3 wrote:

..which is another good reason to specify the difference when you said we were talking about killing babies. I doubt you can find a definition for 'unborn fetus' that implies they are between birth and 1 year old. But if you feel that using ambiguity to trick people into feeling guilt is your best angle, more power to you. Rolling Eyes

Just because you don't want to put fetuses under the category of babies (or humans... wut?) doesn't mean that I don't. No trickery involved here, just telling it how I see it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours