The other day I started with REDUE22, Which has a " For(J,1,16" loop, that performed as follows:

On the first pass the problem was displayed but when I inputted the correct answer instead of pausing, REDUE22 , as it should, it jumped to the next problem.

On the second pass the process repeated.

On the third pass of the J loop those little dots on the upper right side of the screen kept running. The only way I could stop the running was to shut off the 84.

The first thing I did was {1}-->OVER1. That was to stop the hanging of the 84.
I then checked J on the home screen and it was 17 not 1.

After some thought I decided to put "STOP" in various places in REDUE22 and see where J went from 1 to some other number. To my amazement I discovered that the comments I was putting in the code were causing J to increase. So I reduced the comments to this example:
While 0:3:End

Then I numbered the "While" statements in sequence. I decided I could answer any questions by making a simple Excel spread sheet and explain what was between two sequential numbers for anyone who wanted to know what certain code did.

That left me with just a J value of 2 instead of 1. If I STOP and check the following code as described above then J=1

For(J,1,dim(⌊JONL4
If 3<⌊JONL4(J)
J→⌊JONL5(1+dim(⌊JONL5
End
If I STOP and check the code as described above after the "End" then J=2

Please help me.
One thing I can think of: are you sure that the third line uses JONL5, not JONL4? If it's JONL4, then your infinite loop would come from JONL4 growing inside the loop.
Yes I am sure. I do not have the infinite loop running now. In summary I have J=2 after the first pass of the loop. Before the code referenced J=1 after running the code J=2 Having J=2 after running this code is the bug.

To summarize the code JONL4 can have any value >0.
If that value in JONL4 is >3
Then JONL5 will contain that J value.

To further clarify. If I set up the program so that J can only be 1,3,5,7 ..
Then 2 is illegal in the first pass. Thus when the program runs, I get an error massage when I try to use J in a statement. I am not sure what the error message was but I think it was invalid dim.

I further believe, that we are collectively are getting to the point where the problems are easily explained. Their solutions are not possible for me. I hope & pray that someone somewhere can find a solution.

So the problem in a nutshell, is to design some code that provides this functionally of the discussed code but does not index J

Since we know that J is one value larger each time it passes of that four lines of code. that is when J=1 before passing over the code and 2 after passing over the code I believe this process will continue. So the next value of J is3 before passing over the code and 4 after passing.

Is this just a brain fart or would
J-1-->J
I tried it on the home screen and it seems to work.
To day 1/14 I put a version of SHOWSTUF imbedded in RESUE22. OVER1 in REDUE22 looks like this{1,0,3,0,5,0,7} so values for J of 2 and 4 are illegal if the skipping is done correctly.
SHOWSTUF is shown below. It's function is to display the values shown on each pass of the J loop

ClrHome
Output(1,1,"L4 "
Output(1,5,⌊JONL4
Output(2,1,"L5 "
Output(2,5,⌊JONL5
Output(3,1,"L1 "
Output(3,5,⌊JONL1
Output(4,1,"TWO "
Output(4,5,⌊OVER1
Output(8,1,"JA "
Output(8,5,J
Pause
ClrHome
On each consecutive pass I recorded the values shown below.

Some short hand L4, L5,L1,J
So there we go.
Pass 1
L4 {3}
L5{}
L1{}
J 1
pass two
L4{3,3
L5{}
Li{2}
J 2
pass three
L4{3,3,3,}
L5{}
L1{2}
J 3

pass four
L4 {3,3,3,3}
L5{}
L1 {2,4}
J 4

pass five
L4 {3,3,3,4}
L5{5}
L1{2,4}
J 5.

Some observations about the data. When the program runs the first flash card runs everything is O.K. On the next pass which should be Illegal I get the reversed message. On the third pass which is in the same problem as pass two I get the correct answer. There is a pattern here.
I have no idea what is happening, perhaps some one does or can suggest ways for me to test or upload it to the site so others can work on it.
I found the bug.

J→O
0→dim(⌊JONL5
For(O,1,dim(⌊JONL4
If 3<⌊JONL4(O)
O→⌊JONL5(1+dim(⌊JONL5
End
As you can see I substituted "O" for "J" Very Happy Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours