I was hanging out in the #na'vi channel on irc.learnnavi.org and someone posted this link http://www.flickr.com/groups/legoavatar/pool/ just looking through there I see a ton of models that would make awesome vehicles for use if FreeBuild, what do you guy's think? Also what are the chances of custom minifigs so we can have some of different heights?
The Avatar characters look to be based around the same proportions as a Technic person. we don't have a skeleton for those yet, but It probably wouldn't be horribly difficult to make one for Technic scale Lego characters, and then model some LDraw pieces for the Avatar characters. The vehicles look really cool too Smile
elfprince13 wrote:
The Avatar characters look to be based around the same proportions as a Technic person. we don't have a skeleton for those yet, but It probably wouldn't be horribly difficult to make one for Technic scale Lego characters, and then model some LDraw pieces for the Avatar characters. The vehicles look really cool too Smile

Good point about the Technic person scaling, adding support for that would give us one more thing to have over the Retail peeps.
TheStorm wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

Good point about the Technic person scaling, adding support for that would give us one more thing to have over the Retail peeps.

Despite the fact that they can get hundreds of thousands of bricks.
Yes, but as we've stated before(and has been largely ignored) we're trying to do things differently from blockland. We're giving up obscene brick limits for greater freedom in the use of those bricks. We won't be able to render 100,000 bricks, but we won't need to. We'll be able to scale and rotate our bricks, so even if the most we can render is 5-10,000, we can do more with those fewer bricks, and potentially build bigger. In fact, we can already build bigger, due to a lack of limitations on brick scale and orientation:

That interior below is the whole Ikea House...

Try doing that in Retail Blockland. I dare you.
Who says we won't be able to render 100,000 bricks? We have some a good ideas for lag reduction. Eventually the main limitation will probably the player's graphics card.
lets wait and see how it goes guys Smile I'm still working on getting lex's buffer states to place nicely with the Torque file manager.
DShiznit wrote:
Yes, but as we've stated before(and has been largely ignored) we're trying to do things differently from blockland. We're giving up obscene brick limits for greater freedom in the use of those bricks. We won't be able to render 100,000 bricks, but we won't need to. We'll be able to scale and rotate our bricks, so even if the most we can render is 5-10,000, we can do more with those fewer bricks, and potentially build bigger. In fact, we can already build bigger, due to a lack of limitations on brick scale and orientation:

That interior below is the whole Ikea House...

Try doing that in Retail Blockland. I dare you.

They made a city with 400,000 bricks.
Its a whole different level.
A star destroyer would be child's play to [NWB] or similar.
except nothing you can build in retail can compare to the sheer sizes possible even in just TBM. That Star Destroyer is twice the size of an entire goddamn apartment. I've seen Retails cities, they aren't even close...
DShiznit wrote:
except nothing you can build in retail can compare to the sheer sizes possible even in just TBM. That Star Destroyer is twice the size of an entire a apartment. I've seen Retails cities, they aren't even close...

Wrong wrong wrong.
If you saw the prepacked San Fransisco bridge, you'd feel different.
If they wanted to be able to build on the maximum detail, at the scales you discuss, they can, as Retail is unfazed by ridiculous brick limits.

TBM dies at 10000, so I don't know what you mean.

Its all very well to say that it never gets bigger than this, but, should they choose, they can have miles and miles of buildings of such scale.
but detail is horrible, if retail could do brick scaling and rotating with its 500k+ bricks, you could make builds so detailed they would rival next gen 3d games.
I've seen the screenshots. They're impressive, but the fact is you can't build forever under Retail's constraints(technically you can't build forever under Freebuild's either, but the addition of scaling and floating makes expands that limit a lot). There is a limit, and I think you're confusing a handful of developer's high-end performance limits with average gameplay.
DShiznit wrote:
I've seen the screenshots. They're impressive, but the fact is you can't build forever under Retail's constraints(technically you can't build forever under Freebuild's either, but the addition of scaling and floating makes expands that limit a lot). There is a limit, and I think you're confusing a handful of developer's high-end performance limits with average gameplay.

I should mention I'm not entirely sure how scaling will work out with the LDraw bricks, since I'd like to maintain interoperability with the standard editors, but it takes literally 20 seconds to make any sized brick you want ^_^

I guess I could probably figure a way to tie that capability in on the fly with mpd submodels.
I think this might be a good time(probably not a good place) to bring up an idea since I started working on TBG with Destiny: a world editor-type brick editor. It would draw outlines on the bricks which you could drag around to resize. Perhaps you could have different camera views, or be able to manipulate the camera in 3D. Either way, that's my idea, and I think it follows your idea of creating new bricks rather closely.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours