I was looking at random esoetric programming languages (http://esolangs.org/wiki/Main_Page) I found some that were 2d, and thought "Hey, I could make this on the calculator". I went to work and got something pretty neat. There are some limitations of course, some being:

the size can only be 8*16
limitation of characters (for now)
and speed.

Otherwise it works fine, I have put a video of it in action with a program that makes you input a number. If it is either 14, 15, or 16, go and display the number in an endless loop (this part could be changed)

The commands are as follows

V makes the "ball" move down
^ makes the "ball" move up
> makes it move to the right
< makes it move to the left
O output number
I input number
: turn the ball around
? checks if number is zero, if it is rotate to the right else rotate to the left
+ add one to the number
- subtract one from the number

Edit: 1-26-10
} move memory pointer to the right
{ move memory pointer to the left
. a space when outputting text
(imaginary) i A letter "I" when outputting text
(little) V Letter used for "V" when outputting text
Degree mark Used for the letter "O"
(little capital) E Outputs text
^-1 deletes one character from the back
^2 deletes one character from the front of the text
= skip over the next command
all other characters are added str3 to output

I will add more as time goes on.

any ideas, comments, or questions feel free to ask
Hey there _player1537, as per your advice, I decided to post LiBe here. Let me give everyone interested in a lo-down.

It's a 1D programming language using symbols among other things to function [ similar really to the 2D language here ] the zip contains the ReadMe & Source [ LiBe.txt ], aswell as Read.8xp [ to read your programs ] Pop.8xp and Push.8xp [ those are called by Read to pop and push to the stack ] and Str0.8xs [ should be a number guessing game, example ]. Ontop of that it includes LiBe.8xg [ the group file for the 4 aforementioned files ] and just ignore the .8xo file [ what is this? ]

http://ijuln.net/file/LiBe.zip
getting ready to add a couple of features:

any character that is not recognized is stored to str3 which is then outputed with a different output command, with special commands to take away part of the string from either the beggining or the end of it except spaces, they will remain recognized and instead a different command will be used. I'm thinking the decimal point. as well as an inverse operation maybe the "^-1" button.

and changing V to ,

and updating it to allow a screen size of 16*8x where x is the number of vertical screens.

any ideas, feedback still apreciated Smile
Hey, that's pretty neat! Smile
I don't think you should change V to , though because V is pretty explicit about what it does Razz
thanks for the input, I'll keep "V" as the down character, but what should I do about making it where if it goes across a letter it doesn't have in the instruction list then it outputs it. With that feature I could make programming abilities to make programs and such. Any ideas for either the letter "V" or the new down arrow?
_player, very nice proof-of-concept; I'm impressed at how your programming skills are developing. I can only hope that your stay here as been a positive factor in that. Smile

CDI, very cool stuff, want to upload that to the archives here?
KermMartian wrote:
_player, very nice proof-of-concept; I'm impressed at how your programming skills are developing. I can only hope that your stay here as been a positive factor in that. Smile

CDI, very cool stuff, want to upload that to the archives here?

Thank you Kerm.

I have attempted to fix the down arrow, and text output (haven't done the multi "page" part yet). I accomplised this by changing the "." to the space when outputing text, and the little "v" to the v in the text output. I also made the imaginary "i" to the I when ouputing text. The one thing I haven't put in yet is changing the "O" to something for output. I have made it attempt to erase text too, not going that well. I might post the source if it confuses me much more. "V" is still the down arrow btw. I will edit my first post with the newest commands.
very interesting!
How does one input the map?
rthprog wrote:
very interesting!
How does one input the map?

At the moment there are two ways to make a map: You can use a map maker I made a while back, or just use the homescreen. I prefer the second one. On the homescreen basicly you just omit the first quotation mark, and right the whole program. Then when you are done you add a quotation mark at the beggining and store to string 2. Thats just the way I make it, and the program that makes them for you only supports the first set of commands, none of the newer text outputting ones.

BTW I updated the list of commands in my first post

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours