My idea is that a user can set up a dedicated server, which opens up a menu (Kind of like the admin menu) which will allow him to do things from the admin menu and put in commands if that seems reasonable. Bassicly, it's Tob's command Dedi but with a GUI.
Lucas W wrote:
My idea is that a user can set up a dedicated server, which opens up a menu (Kind of like the admin menu) which will allow him to do things from the admin menu and put in commands if that seems reasonable. Bassicly, it's Tob's command Dedi but with a GUI.

dedicated servers are designed to be run on headless *nix machines, so adding a GUI to one more or less defeats the purpose.
How about a GUI that generates a .bat and/or whatever linux/OSux use based on the settings you choose?
DShiznit wrote:
How about a GUI that generates a .bat and/or whatever linux/OSux use based on the settings you choose?

Or better yet would be to generate a .cs file Wink
elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Or better yet would be to generate a .cs file Wink

Or just use the normal client to setup a listen server the way you want and copy it over to your server.
I think elf's idea is best, and easiest. In fact, why not just have the dedicated.bat/whatever the others use fetch all the settings from the server prefs.cs.
DShiznit wrote:
I think elf's idea is best, and easiest. In fact, why not just have the dedicated.bat/whatever the others use fetch all the settings from the server prefs.cs.

The dedicated setup already uses server prefs.cs... why would you need to fetch the settings it'll already use?
I have a batch file on my laptop that lets you set the server name and info. Something like that would be cool.
EmperorWiggy wrote:
I have a batch file on my laptop that lets you set the server name and info. Something like that would be cool.

ditto. That part's easy Wink
TheStorm wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

The dedicated setup already uses server prefs.cs... why would you need to fetch the settings it'll already use?

Because it does not fetch the mission from it. If it did, running a dedicated would start your last server's mission. Of course we would also want command-line stuff to redefine all those settings on the fly.
DShiznit wrote:
TheStorm wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Because it does not fetch the mission from it. If it did, running a dedicated would start your last server's mission. Of course we would also want command-line stuff to redefine all those settings on the fly.

Code:

#!/bin/bash
OSALL=`uname -a`
if `echo ${OSALL} | grep "Darwin"  1>/dev/null 2>&1`
FBBIN = "./FreeBuild.app/Contents/MacOS/FreeBuild"
else
FBBIN = "./FreeBuild.bin -nohomedir"
fi

MISFILE =$1
echo "$Pref::server::name = \"${2}\";" >> core/server/prefs.cs
echo "$Pref::server::info = \"${3}\";" >> core/server/prefs.cs

${FBBIN} -dedicated -mission ${MISFILE}

For non-Windows users this would probably do the trick.
Yeah, f*ck windows, they only make up 93% of the market share, who needs 'em?
Msys is pretty ugly actually, but probably better than the standard cmd.exe.

But what about the non tech savvy player (This IS a lego game) they would prefer to use a GUI, and would most likely be using windows anyway, and they might want to change the settings without having to restart the server.
Lucas W wrote:
But what about the non tech savvy player (This IS a lego game) they would prefer to use a GUI, and would most likely be using windows anyway, and they might want to change the settings without having to restart the server.

Honestly, my thought here is that a non tech savvy player shouldn't be trying to run a dedicated, but one of you guys could probably make a script that calls initCanvas() and brings up the start server gui
Yea, it wouldn't be much trouble if it was really called for, but it certainly shouldn't be something that's offered with the basic download.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours