Can someone explain this sport to me?
It's not immediately obvious to you that you get chased by large rocks while running with a broom down a stretch of ice?
elfprince13 wrote:
It's not immediately obvious to you that you get chased by large rocks while running with a broom down a stretch of ice?

But......why?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curling
this
It's like shuffleboard with the added thrill of trying to not get run over by a large rock Wink
I've been watching this sport on USA for the past half-hour and the only reason I can see it being in the Olympics is because most of the chicks aren't flat-chested like all the other sports Good Idea
Curling is the result of people having beer, rocks, brooms, and a stretch of ice.
Can you think of a better way to combine them?
Will_W wrote:
Curling is the result of people having beer, rocks, brooms, and a stretch of ice.

Let me rephrase this: Curling is the result of Canadians.
Will_W wrote:

Hockey?
It's kinda like hockey, but with more alcohol.
And all the sticks substituted with brooms, because the increased alcohol consumption makes that seem like a good idea.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Will_W wrote:

Hockey?

See the rock was bigger so it would have broken the brooms if they played hockey. Clearly they wern't too drunk when they made it.
I can't figure out how to "score" in this game; do you just knock the other oversized hockey puck out of the circle or something?
Wikipedia says that the two people with brooms direct the rock without touching it. Am I missing some telekinetic powers that I didn't know humans had?
KermMartian wrote:
Am I missing some telekinetic powers that I didn't know humans had?

Obviously
They use the brooms to smooth the ice controlling how the rock slides. They are trying to get it to the center of a target at the end of the stretch of ice.
KermMartian wrote:
Wikipedia says that the two people with brooms direct the rock without touching it. Am I missing some telekinetic powers that I didn't know humans had?

I believe that's supposed to mean they don't touch it with their bodies. Touching with the broom is okay
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I believe that's supposed to mean they don't touch it with their bodies. Touching with the broom is okay
No the thrower is the only one who can touch it after that is is all momentum and the spin the thrower puts on it.

Wikipedia wrote:
After both teams have delivered eight stones, the team with the stone closest to the button is awarded one point for each of its own stones that is closer than the opponent's closest stone. Stones that are not in the house (further from the centre than the outer edge of the 12-foot (3.7 m) ring) do not score even if no opponent's stone is closer. A stone is considered in the house if any portion of its edge is over any portion of the 12-foot (3.7 m) ring. Since the bottom of the stone is rounded, a stone just barely in the house will not have any actual contact with the ring, which will pass under the rounded edge of the stone, but it still counts. This type of stone is known as a "biter".
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

You can't touch it with the broom.
the broom is used to adjust the ice so the stone slides differently. You can't touch the stone with the broom.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours