This is an attempt to resurrect the rather entertaining (in my humble opinion) Top 1024 Signs You're Addicted to Your TI Calculator topic with a more general theme, which will hopefully lead to more quality and more quantity of entertaining signs. Please keep it something general (not an obvious reference to something that makes you a technology addict), and could refer to at least one or two other people.

1. You have more email addresses than you can count, but they all forward to the same place.
2. You feel uncomfortably cramped if you're currently using fewer than two (three, four, ....) monitors.
3. The death of a hard drive is an earth-shattering tragedy to you...
4. ...but you have enough copies of your vital data backed up that it's only a minor inconvenience.
5. You have had or currently have some kind of technology cave containing computers, calculators, and/or general gadgetry, preferably lending you notoriety among your friends
6. You vociferously argue either for or against [F]OSS
7. You understand the distinction between free (as in beer) and free (as in speech) software.
8. You know more than two or three programming languages
9. You actually enjoy programming on your own free time
10. You consider a device with limited functionality (like a calculator) a challenge rather than a hindrance.
11. You regularly participate in IRC discussions
12. People confusing markup languages, scripting languages, and programming languages make you annoyed
13. You consider it a point of honor to try to one-up any technology achievement
14. A good surround sound system (or pro pair of headphones) blasting techno or power/symphonic rock is vital to your programming efficiency
15. You setup a home server just so you can always be connected to the previously stated IRC channels.
16. You have an overclocked CPU
17. You have an overclocked GPU
18. You have a video card that can drive 5760x1200 with AA
19. You know the pros and cons of TN, PVA, and IPS panels
20. You run multiple monitors
21. You run multiple IPS monitors
22. You have a UPS
23. You can monitor in real time how much power your system is using
24. You're home network is running QoS
25. You know why you want an SSD with TRIM
26. You have an SSD
27. You have RAID
28. You have more used hard drive space than most people have period.

Consequently, here is my new setup Smile That is Dirt 2 (DX11) running at 5760x1200 with 2xAA, everything on Ultra except Post Processing is on medium. The monitors are Dell U2410 and are being driven by a single ATI 5870. This setup sucks down 400w when *idle*
http://kllrnohj.com/images/comp/Eyefinity/dirt2_cell.jpg

(Apologies for crappy cell phone pic - I don't feel like digging out my real camera)
29. You're one of the relatively few consumers who needs the bandwidth of a 64-bit processor for memory size rather than processing power reasons.
30. You've ever participated in a vehement argument defending smoe combination of OS X, Windows, and Linux.
31. Better yet, you believe one or more Linux distros to be the essence of good programming, design, and stability, and all the others dumbed down for the Wintards.
32. You administer at least one server for yourself or others
33. You know what a troll is or have participated in the sport yourself
34. You enjoy reading webcomics such as XKCD, Ctrl-Alt-Delete, Questionable Content, or Penny Arcade
35. You sagely opine that at least one of the above "used to be much better" or "isn't funny anymore"
36. You understand the different power headers that graphics cards have
37. Having a CUDA-capable graphics card is important to you
38. You are fluent in at least one type of machine or assembly language
39. You have taken internet tests to determine your geek or nerd level...
40. ...and are disappointed if you achieve a low score.
41. You have modified a gadget or piece of electronics by soldering to PCB traces or IC legs
42. You understand the need for a Torx-6 screwdriver (I'm limiting myself to calc modders here)
43. You're familiar with the ballpoint pen + lighter trick for creating an ad-hoc screwdriver
44. You have invented and/or frequently use either a self-designed language or code
45. Non-rechargeable batteries ceased to be cost-effective for you many years ago.
46. Your girlfriend hops on Skype to ask you for help playing the video game you're developing.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Consequently, here is my new setup Smile That is Dirt 2 (DX11) running at 5760x1200 with 2xAA, everything on Ultra except Post Processing is on medium. The monitors are Dell U2410 and are being driven by a single ATI 5870. This setup sucks down 400w when *idle*
http://kllrnohj.com/images/comp/Eyefinity/dirt2_cell.jpg

(Apologies for crappy cell phone pic - I don't feel like digging out my real camera)

Nice setup, but in dire need of some cable management Razz

Also, why do you have 5 speakers in front of you?
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Nice setup, but in dire need of some cable management Razz

Also, why do you have 5 speakers in front of you?

Because my bed is behind me. I don't have the room for true surround sound. BUT I've got it configured to mirror the setup I do have, so it works more or less. I tend to lean forward anyway, causing the outermost speakers to be more side than front.

As for the cables, well, that's why I don't turn the lights on Razz
47. The addition of storage capacity to your machines is a happy event for you (2TB for me this evening, but I know everyone gets euphoria from lots of storage space)
48. You know both the 'A' and the 'B' method of wiring ethernet jacks
49. You know the difference between RJ45 and RJ11
50. You know the dirty and clean versions of the mnemonic to memorize the telecommunications 10-color code
51. Dikes and strippers are that you use frequently in your work or play (protip: diagonal cutters and wire strippers)
52. You can explain the difference between Cat-5, Cat-5e, and Cat-6 cabling, and why each needs to be constructed the way it is
53. People who tie a cable's shield to ground or leave it disconnected in wiring, a modification, or a tutorial physically pain you
54. You regularly argue with your computer aloud
55. People no longer bother commenting on the fact that you always have at least one piece of computing hardware with you at all times
Quote:
42. You understand the need for a Torx-6 screwdriver (I'm limiting myself to calc modders here)
My dad has a whole set of Torx wrenches Smile
56. You have outsmarted your company's/school's/university's network admin by breaking through every single layer of security
57. Windows disgusts you because it's too user-friendly and therefore doesn't let you control your whole PC.
58. You carry around rescue CD's all the time.
Mapar007 wrote:
57. Windows disgusts you because it's too user-friendly and therefore doesn't let you control your whole PC.

59. You understand that user-friendliness and control have nothing to do with each other?
60. You don't feel comfortable unless you have a command prompt or terminal to drop to for fast and efficient management and workflow
61. You understand the difference between the -O1, -O2, and -O3 flags.
62. You mock people who use a package manager inferior to (yum, aptitude, pacman, ....) such as (yum, aptitude, pacman, ....)
63. Coffee is your daily substitute for a healthy amount of sleep
64. You are the go-to guy for broken technology for your entire family, extended family, circle of friends, or town
65. You are intimately familiar with LaTeX, and no longer bother trying to type equations in Word
66. You are proud that you wear glasses
67. You hate it when people round 2/3 to .67
foamy3 wrote:
Mapar007 wrote:

59. You understand that user-friendliness and control have nothing to do with each other?

Sorry, I wrote that during a boring class, and I felt that "windows disgusts you" wasn't enough, so I quickly added that stupid sentence. Never mind.
Quote:
<nikky> all this hot asm turns me on
<nikky> talk z80 to me, BrandonW
<BrandonW> Output to my port, nikky.
<BrandonW> Fast as you can.
69. You have a sex bot because nothing breathing will let you fornicate with them.
70. You always wear a usb flashdrive bracelet loaded with DSL Very Happy
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
69. You have a sex bot because nothing breathing will let you fornicate with them.

I find your numbering somehow symbolic.
KermMartian wrote:

71. You bought a set of security bits (tri-wing, torx-with-pin, ...) to disassemble your electronic devices.
72. You disregard the "DO NOT DISASSEMBLE" labels on these devices because they only apply to amateurs.
73. The "no user-serviceable parts inside" warning label only serves to remind you that you are no ordinary user.
74. You believe EE to be vastly superior to CS, or vice versa.
75. You consider it a universal truth that projects, coding, and hacking come before sleep, social interaction, and all other activities; you are mystified if anyone around you seems to have a different set of priorities. The only possible exception might be food or caffeine.
76. Your budget reflects the same set of priorities
77. You no longer trust any hard drive manufacturer because over the course of your involvement with technology, you've had a drive from (more or less) every one of them fail.
78. You enjoy math, both in class and on your own
79. You've been known by a nickname intended to be derogatory like Calc Boy (yup, that was me), Loser, Nerd, or the like.
80. You decided that the former was a mark of pride rather than shame
81. Binary (hex, octal) jokes amuse you. For example, 10 computer programmers walk into a bar. The first one orders a beer, and the second of the pair says to the bartender, "why so confused? were you expecting more of us?"
82. You facepalm at such humor.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours