this isn't completely freebuild related but... idk.

I went to the garage games site to look for a list of the game engines and stuff, but i couldn't find any.

does any one know what the system requirements are for the different game engines?
and a price range?

because i was thinking of trying to make a 3rd person game. once i figure out animations and player skeleton's.

EDIT: also whats system requirements and the benefits of TGEA?
TGE and TGEA are no longer available. T3D comes in two varieties, a cheapo one that will let you release games, but not have source access to the engine, and a $1000 one that gives you source access.

TGB has similar options, but is, if I remember correctly, much less expensive.
Or you could do what I'm doing and use the FreeBuild engine, giving credit where credit is due of course.
In that case, just make sure you release your stuff as a mod, and not with a binary that's been stripped of the regular FreeBuild stuff, otherwise you could get in trouble with GG.
so... Which one would give me the same stuff as TGE or TGEA would?
None of them really would. T3D is the successor to TGEA, but unless you're willing to blow $1000, you won't have source access like a TGEA license would give you.
elfprince13 wrote:
In that case, just make sure you release your stuff as a mod, and not with a binary that's been stripped of the regular FreeBuild stuff, otherwise you could get in trouble with GG.

I can't just use the binary you already released under your license, with your permission?
DShiznit wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

I can't just use the binary you already released under your license, with your permission?

I'm pretty sure only he can distribute the binary under the license so yeah you'll have to tell your users to DL FreeBuild First.
The TBM website has a distribution of the original blockland, why can't I redistribute Elf's binary? I'm not including the binary's source, just the binary itself and a new set of scripts to power my game.
w8 w8... what are you talking about... binary and stuff? are you talking about engine acess? like the way it loads up before compiling scripts? or the .dll files?
I'm talking about the compiled engine itself, the little thing you double-click to start the game, along with any base scripts I care to use.
To be honest, the Blockland download on the TBM website probably wasn't entirely legal. I'll read through my licensing agreement from GG a little more carefully and see what I figure out, but this isn't any different from needing to own a Source engine game in order to play Garry's mod.
You have the right to distribute your project using whatever non-commercial channels you see fit, right? So why can't you let your users distribute it with their own scripts for engine demo purposes?
wait a sec. what program are you using to edit the freebuild game engine?
I'm not editing the engine at all, that's my whole point.
oh. what about you elf prince? or cyber prime?
Elfprince is the one with Engine access atm, and he's using a mixture of editors, compilers, etc. according to the OS he's on. Not that that has anything to do with the license.
I'm using a mixture of Komodo Edit, Notepad++, TIDE, XCode, VS 2008 Express, and Codeblocks depending on the machine I'm using at the time and whether I'm working on the engine or the scripts.
So have you looked over the license, and determined if I can re-release the engine you've already published, with my own set of scripts?
The informal info I got from #garagegames tells me that you should be in the clear under two conditions:
a) your "mod" is also freely available
b) If you're redistributing the application binary than you need to take responsibility for ensuring that the people see the GG splash screen that's currently part of FreeBuild as that IS part of the license for releasing a game developed with the indie license.

Beyond that, obviously I would ask that you give credit for the development that I've done on top of stock TGE, and be aware of the issues that come with developing for what is currently a moving target.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours