Good idea?
Yes
 83%  [ 10 ]
Stupid
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

1.) We (Cemetech) vote on three frameworks (Star Trek/Wars, Shadowrun, Pokemon, Xanth, DND, others).
2.) We then determine significant stats (Strength, willpower, midichlorian count if SW, magic talent if Xanth, etc.) and a basis for building characters.
3.)
Those with an interest program something like this. But no picture of the teacher, instead the chatroom at the bottom of the column is larger. And instead of a whiteboard, it would be a grid of locations like in normal tabletop RPGs, along with your stats (a seperate subwindow below the grid)
4.) Your characters' stats - you'd be allowed three characters per framework - are stored in your user, not your cookies.
Interesting design/layout, but what about the game itself?

What would you do with the grid?
Why would you be limited to three? Or... why so many?
What is the game, specifically? I get it's an RPG, but there's gotta be a starting point, objective, etc... to base everything around (including basing the 'framework's around.). There's just gotta be a basic concept of the game already established.
swivelgames wrote:
Interesting design/layout, but what about the game itself?

What would you do with the grid?

to show where the characters are, like in most tabletop RPGs.

Quote:
Why would you be limited to three? Or... why so many?

three characters? So if one character "dies", you don't lose progress. But if you let users have too many, Kerm would complain about memory on his server.

three frameworks? So we gather more audience than one.

Quote:
What is the game, specifically? I get it's an RPG, but there's gotta be a starting point, objective, etc... to base everything around (including basing the 'framework's around.). There's just gotta be a basic concept of the game already established.

the objective would be determined by the framework. For example, in Star Trek it would be to survive the missions the admiraltry gives you. Pokemon would get the obvious objective: catch 'em all and beat the Elite Eight. You see?
(deleted for personal reasons, read Epicfail's post below, it says it better)
NormalKid wrote:

I might be overboard with this. This might be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am, after all, NormalKid.

NormalKid has somewhat of a point. Not everybody is on here 24/7 or even once a week, this idea is good on it's own separate website with the cemetech domain (RPG.cemetech.net maybe?) If this idea follows through, it shouldn't be what governs the site, after all, it is a calculator site. I am iffy on this idea thus far. It looks like it could be fun though...
So who would be the admiralty, then, me? Smile Would some players play the enemy alien race, and some the crew of the Enterprise?
This is actually a clever idea, though developing something like this from scratch might take more time than anyone on staff has. I wonder how hard it would be to adapt a MUD to have a sci-fi'ish theme and an AJAX-y web interface?
Sci-fi theme would be easy, web interface would be extremely hard.
KermMartian wrote:
So who would be the admiralty, then, me? Smile Would some players play the enemy alien race, and some the crew of the Enterprise?

The admiraltry would be the gamemaster of the current game, who would be the highest-ranking (by Cemetech rank, not RPG rank) user playing.

The non-GM players would play the crew of the ship/fleet (it doesn't have to be the Enterprise, but if it is, I say the NCC-1701-C, B, or post-Destiny E, because then we aren't limited to predetermined characters) and the GM plays all enemies.

Or we could do it your way...

(please tell me some Star Trek fan on Cemetech read the Star Trek Destiny trilogy so they know what I mean.)
*BUMP*

So did we informally vote and Trek is one of the frameworks, or are we just using it as an example
Please use Star Trek.
Agreed.
Thanks for answering those questions. This is a pretty nifty idea Smile

Now, is the idea for a game itself? Or for a tabletop-styled game Framework that you could use as a barebone to implement different games (rules, laws, storylines, objectives, proprietary stuff)?

Both would be great. And hell, I wouldn't mind helping out with the coding one bit Smile
swivelgames wrote:
Now, is the idea for a game itself? Or for a tabletop-styled game Framework that you could use as a barebone to implement different games (rules, laws, storylines, objectives, proprietary stuff)?

The second one, but in order to be able to save your character(s), we need to make a game so we know what stats there are.

Quote:
Both would be great. And hell, I wouldn't mind helping out with the coding one bit Smile

Yes! Very Happy
*BUMP* I have another framework plan.

I call it "the Gosarch Wielder: Galactic Greatness".

Earth has been destroyed by what appears to have been giant silver pencil tips and is now surrounded by them. Before this happened, Humans and Gosarchers (previously self-called fairies, but humans decided that that word has wierd connotations) had created a fleet of starships that found a series of sentient-lifeless Earth-like planets. after settling down, the Earthers form an Empire/Democracy. The Gosarchers have used their soul-collection process to contain the soul of their oracular savior from one millenium ago and have released it into a planet-sized computer. This savior, known as the Gosarch Wielder (after his instrument of connection to the fairies), chooses three Emprezor-candidates about five years before the projected death of the current Emprezor. The Earthers then vote among those three.

But what most people don't know is that the Gosarch Wielder has a hidden agenda, that doesn't effect his choices of the candidates. He wants a body; the virtual world he lives in is not enough, he wants to interact with people. The only way to effect this, however, is to destroy the planet-sized computer - which also serves as the Emprezor's home - so the Gosarchers can reclaim his soul.
Gosarchians would sound better than Gosarchers.
elfprince13 wrote:
Gosarchians would sound better than Gosarchers.

it's a hard ch. Go-SAHRK-ee-ihns

They are more vampirelike than fairies in appearance. Semi-Transperant bat wings extending from the shoulders with a wingspan twice their height (six inches).

We could either play as a secret agency that is helping the Gosarch Wielder find a way without bloing up the Plalace (yes there's an extra l. Combo of Planet and Palace) or someones completely against his designs. There's more plot to come if he succeeds, but I don't want to tell yet. Very Happy
*BUMP* I have a history of the Earth as seen by the Gosarch Wielder and his posse (of which Kerm is the only nonfic-based character [although in the series he's Christopher Michael] - and yes the series has refrences to Cemetech and DCS10). You guys want it?
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
*BUMP* I have a history of the Earth as seen by the Gosarch Wielder and his posse (of which Kerm is the only nonfic-based character [although in the series he's Christopher Michael] - and yes the series has refrences to Cemetech and DCS10). You guys want it?

Woah DCS10? Does this take place 70 years in the future? Razz
calc84maniac wrote:
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:

Woah DCS10? Does this take place 70 years in the future? Razz
Awww, what a hater. Rolling Eyes

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours