Many of you have vociferously complained to me about a long-standing bug in SAX, the Simultaneous Asynchronous eXchange, our very own cross-site, Web-to-IRC AJAX chat platform embedded on almost every Cemetech page. Up until a few months ago, users would occasionally get strings of duplicates when sending or receiving messages. I uncovered a few unhandled oddities in the designed flow of control within the Javascript for the system, and tossed in a few debug messages. The "Dupe Aborted" message was intended as a notification that due to unforeseen circumstances, a new XMLHttpRequest call was being made to check for new lines to display before the previous call had completed. Due to schoolwork constraints, most notably the arduous task that has been my Master's thesis, the "bug" (really a notification of a bug rather than a bug in and of itself) remained in SAX. It particularly plagued those users on slow or loaded connections. Today, following the successful completion of my thesis forty-eight hours ago, I managed to trace the remaining SAX bugs and hopefully solve them. Network lag that would have caused towers of Dupe Aborted messages are now gracefully handled with the message shown below, which disappears once congestion clears. Please make sure you clear your browser cache if you're still seeing Dupe Aborted messages, and post in the associated topics if you have any problems.

Wewt wewt.
Still getting dupe aborts over here (but a lot less frequently now).
But.. But..

Those Dupe Warning messages were a vital part of Cemetech! How dare you go and get rid of them. Now we have even less to complain and whine about. XD Laughing

Seriously tho, looks nice. Sadly I get hit with that network lag error a lot, but I guess that can't really be helped.
Ooh, fancy! Smile
Except it's probably totally not fancy from other linked sites' ends Razz
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Hmm, that's odd. Are you sure you have the new saxjax.js? Cleared your cache and all that?

KeithJohansen wrote:
Ooh, fancy! Smile
Hit me up and I'll upgrade yours toos.
KermMartian wrote:
KeithJohansen wrote:
Ooh, fancy! Smile
Hit me up and I'll upgrade yours toos.

I'll PM you your credentials (again?) when I finish the design upgrades 'n stuff. Whenever that gets done.... Must. Not. Get. Distracted. By. LEGO.
I think that I still have them, but let me know a time when you're not busy working on other site pieces so I don't inadvertently overwrite something you're working on. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Hmm, that's odd. Are you sure you have the new saxjax.js? Cleared your cache and all that?

I was on a livecd, so possibly the lag from that could've caused the dupes...
Noticed this, can't say when it popped up but you can get a rough estimate

Oh no! You discovered Kerm's secret plan to brainwash the masses to do his geeky bidding through secret arcane chants posted in SAX! :O
KeithJohansen wrote:
Oh no! You discovered Kerm's secret plan to brainwash the masses to do his geeky bidding through secret arcane chants posted in SAX! :O
Actually, that used to occur when a trailing line return snuck into the SAX response from the server. I was pretty sure it didn't happen anymore for anything.
comicIDIOT wrote:
That looks like the lyrics to many eurobeat song choruses.
Haha, nice. So I've been getting scattered reports of Dupe Aborteds; if you're one of the victims, let me know specific circumstances so I can trace it out.
Geez, the database server goes down for two minutes, and everyone's on my case. Laughing
Hey, not like we knew Razz
comicIDIOT wrote:
Hey, not like we knew Razz
Haha, no, of course not. The difference is between true lag (when the AJAX calls never return, which is what now causes the lag indicator) and false lag, or HTTP requests that return immediately but with invalid or failed data. This was the latter, which the script manifested as Dupe Aborted combined with lag, a more accurate indication of the type of downtime.
KermMartian wrote:
Geez, the database server goes down for two minutes, and everyone's on my case. 0x5
Good thing it doesn't go down for 2 minutes about twice or three times a day, every day or two x.x
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Geez, the database server goes down for two minutes, and everyone's on my case. 0x5
Good thing it doesn't go down for 2 minutes about twice or three times a day, every day or two x.x
I assume you're talking about 1and1's failures on Omnimaga?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours