Did the above for TOB, am wondering if people want a SIMILAR (w/out filmstrip, etc) menu for TBG?
that's actually really nice, but might I suggest a lava background instead of that green limestone or whatever it is? It would make the menu feel much more evil...
I am happy to be seeing some menu suggestions, but I would like something a little more brickish (and that tiles well).
elfprince13 wrote:
I am happy to be seeing some menu suggestions, but I would like something a little more brickish (and that tiles well).
I like it too as a new direction, although I'm not too font of that very plain and bland font on the buttons.
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
I like it too as a new direction, although I'm not too font of that very plain and bland font on the buttons.

That's pretty bricky. :V

And yes, the button bar wasn't tackled there.
I support a redo of the menu, but this is not the way to do it. This is skinning. We need to clean the menu up, not make it more busy. We need something simple, bricky, and clean.
CyberPrime wrote:
I support a redo of the menu, but this is not the way to do it. This is skinning. We need to clean the menu up, not make it more busy. We need something simple, bricky, and clean.

This. We're not in a pissing contest with RTB like TBM was, where each iteration had to be a study in one-upmanship, and the menus were an extension of that.

Look at the menus from a professional game:

http://www6.incrysis.com/screenshots/weeklyupdate/MainMenu.jpg

http://img.informer.com/screenshots/178/178543_1.jpg

http://forums.vault9.net/galleryimages//1105555588/gallery_1202_15_44812.jpg
First, we aren't competing with RTB, or Retail. Both have horrible menus. There is nothing to compete with on that level, you made that up. Neutral

If you want me to make something professional, I can do so, but I cannot guarantee it would be what you are looking for. It might, but it equally may be off the mark. TBG doesn't quite have a personality, just as TOB doesn't have a personality. Granted, it is more uniform than TOB, as it lacks the ridiculous(ly varied) weapons and the huge mix of themes conflicting and taking up space, granted you are edging towards the Lego feel, but it still retains a vacant slot where the leading idea should be.

Cyber, I wasn't discussing a menu to replace the current one, just an alternative - a mod, seeing as I did some work towards menus already. Don't get all snappy, I'm allowed to offer. People have expressed interest in my work before. People like Gobbles.

Question, could you set up a 3D rendering environment inside the menu with Torque? Confused
elfprince13 wrote:
CyberPrime wrote:

This. We're not in a pissing contest with RTB like TBM was, where each iteration had to be a study in one-upmanship, and the menus were an extension of that.

Look at the menus from a professional game:

http://www6.incrysis.com/screenshots/weeklyupdate/MainMenu.jpg

http://img.informer.com/screenshots/178/178543_1.jpg

http://forums.vault9.net/galleryimages//1105555588/gallery_1202_15_44812.jpg
Hmm, I like the first and the last, but I find the Warcraft screenshot a bit bland and last-generation.
elrunethe2nd wrote:
Question, could you set up a 3D rendering environment inside the menu with Torque? Confused

It's been done in various projects, but it's a bit of a pain in the butt, afaik. I've been trying to cultivate a personality for FB/TBG, but I don't have nearly the amount of time that I need to make a complete them, so it's been a bit on-the-fly. That said, the current inventory/chathud and main menu more nearly approximate what I want (brickish, making use of shadows and depth to convey UI state-information).

Kerm: it's absolutely "last generation" but Blizzard is still one of the top game studios around, and I like the W3 games better than WoW (and if you think *that* is old, Starcraft is positively archaic).
elfprince13 wrote:
elrunethe2nd wrote:

It's been done in various projects, but it's a bit of a pain in the butt, afaik. I've been trying to cultivate a personality for FB/TBG, but I don't have nearly the amount of time that I need to make a complete them, so it's been a bit on-the-fly. That said, the current inventory/chathud and main menu more nearly approximate what I want (brickish, making use of shadows and depth to convey UI state-information).

Kerm: it's absolutely "last generation" but Blizzard is still one of the top game studios around, and I like the W3 games better than WoW (and if you think *that* is old, Starcraft is positively archaic).

What about some system where it loaded up random .saves and centered on them and gently panned around them while you did menu-related things?
elrunethe2nd wrote:
[
What about some system where it loaded up random .saves and centered on them and gently panned around them while you did menu-related things?

That's a sweet idea, but will have to wait until LDraw rendering makes the distinction between a single brick and a full model go away.
I had the same idea a while ago, but I was gonna do it in a very hacky way, loading up a default "menu map" and then placing the menu options on top of it.
elfprince13 wrote:
elrunethe2nd wrote:
[

That's a sweet idea, but will have to wait until LDraw rendering makes the distinction between a single brick and a full model go away.
Speaking of which, how's that going? Are your studies getting the better of free time to make progress? Sad
Personally I think retail has a great menu, and it would be cool to have something like the loading of saves to pan around in the background. It seems a bit resource heavy, though. Maybe just screenshots?
KermMartian wrote:
Speaking of which, how's that going? Are your studies getting the better of free time to make progress? Sad

I think it's very close to being ready, but finishing up research papers for the semester and preparing a buttload of presentations has been getting the better of my progress.

Also, having a girlfriend takes up a lot of time on the weekends, between dates + talking + catching up on Chuck/Big Bang Theory/Doctor Who (and SG-U on my own)
CyberPrime wrote:
Personally I think retail has a great menu, and it would be cool to have something like the loading of saves to pan around in the background. It seems a bit resource heavy, though. Maybe just screenshots?

Personally, I think it is horrible. The corny blue style makes me super bored with it. Also, Impact ftw. Its a horrible font!

Also, screenshots were what was in TOB, and that was boring.
Yeah, loading builds wouldn't be anymore resource heavy than the game itself, as long as you put restrictions on the max size and number of bricks.
DShiznit wrote:
Yeah, loading builds wouldn't be anymore resource heavy than the game itself, as long as you put restrictions on the max size and number of bricks.

Actually, my guess is that it should be significantly less resource intensive, even without a brick limit.
Oh look what I just did just now.

(For the disabled, I made that sexy, sexy menu above.)
(It is pure awesome)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours