Well a few days ago I was being stupid and set all of my 8xp files to open up with windows explorers...

Now I want it to open with TILP but I cannot aka it wont let me change what it opens up with on the properties page and when I go to set defaults the 8XP file extension does not appear.

help...
qazz42 wrote:
Well a few days ago I was being stupid and set all of my 8xp files to open up with windows explorers...

Now I want it to open with TILP but I cannot aka it wont let me change what it opens up with on the properties page and when I go to set defaults the 8XP file extension does not appear.

help...

I'm guessing your running Windows XP or higher, so right click on a file, click properties, then open with (may say something different based on your version).
Then click browse and go to where you installed TiLP and double click that.

Edit: But then again, you don't want to open it with TiLP, you just want it to appear in the right panel. To do this, you need to use the navigation arrows on the right panel (the backwards green arrow) to find where your files are and then you can move them to your calc, or whatever.
Yes but I would like TILP as the default but no matter what I do it will not let me
qazz42 wrote:
Yes but I would like TILP as the default but no matter what I do it will not let me

"Open with" "Select (or choose) Program" and then check "always open with"
Can't it is greyed out all because I chose for it to open with windows explorer and nothing i do will reverse it.
You can delete the file type from your registry and start over, but I'm not familiar with that process, so I can't give you directions, and you shouldn't do it without the assistance of someone who does know what they are doing.
I'm pretty sure I know how to fix this.

Just open up an explorer window, go Tools, Folder options. Then click the far right tab "file types" and wait a sec for it to load all the file types. Scroll on down to 8XP, and delete it, then make a new one. My one concern would be if the icon would remain.

I would try this first with a random file type, like an swf file, to make sure it works.
how do i get to tools?
Tools is the menu to the right of File, Edit, etc in the Explorer menubar. If you're using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you of course have to press [Alt] to make the menubar appear.
K I opened the folder options but all I get are some checklists what do I click from there?
Which version of Windows are you using? In old versions of Windows you'll go via Folder Options, but since Vista you'd need to click Default Programs on the right hand side of the start menu (if not listed then type "default" into the search box and wait for "Default Programs" to appear) then click "Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program".
Problem is is that the 8xp files do not appear there
If TiLP set up the initial file associations, reinstalling TiLP should restore them and fix the problem. I'd try that first.

If that doesn't help, then the next thing to do may be to just get rid of the old file association entirely, then use the standard "Open With" to reassign the extension to TiLP.

Run the registry editor (type "regedit" into the run dialog or start menu search box) and delete the .8xp key under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Be extremely careful that you only delete that one key (the .8xp one). Windows should then prompt you to choose a program when you double-click on a .8xp. Being unable to open TiLP by double-clicking .8xp files is a rather minor inconvenience compared to some of the things you can break by editing the registry! You may wish to back up the registry first (File, Export).
Nope not doing anything it still says it opens with windows explorer!!

When I double click it causes the d=fan of my laptop to go haywire got to restart now!!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours