News item from "Routers":
Quote:

Reuters
---
Power-dressing man leaves trail of destruction
Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:31 AM ET
---
SYDNEY (Reuters) - An Australian man built up a 40,000-volt charge of static electricity in his clothes as he walked, leaving a trail of scorched carpet and molten plastic and forcing firefighters to evacuate a building.

Frank Clewer, who was wearing a woolen shirt and a synthetic nylon jacket, was oblivious to the growing electrical current that was building up as his clothes rubbed together.

When he walked into a building in the country town of Warrnambool in the southern state of Victoria Thursday, the electrical charge ignited the carpet.

"It sounded almost like a firecracker," Clewer told Australian radio Friday.

"Within about five minutes, the carpet started to erupt."

Employees, unsure of the cause of the mysterious burning smell, telephoned firefighters who evacuated the building.

"There were several scorch marks in the carpet, and we could hear a cr@cking noise -- a bit like a whip -- both inside and outside the building," said fire official Henry Barton.

Firefighters cut electricity to the building thinking the burns might have been caused by a power surge.

Clewer, who after leaving the building discovered he had scorched a piece of plastic on the floor of his car, returned to seek help from the firefighters.

"We tested his clothes with a static electricity field meter and measured a current of 40,000 volts, which is one step shy of spontaneous combustion, where his clothes would have self-ignited," Barton said.

"I've been firefighting for over 35 years and I've never come across anything like this," he said.

Firefighters took possession of Clewer's jacket and stored it in the courtyard of the fire station, where it continued to give off a strong electrical current.

David Gosden, a senior lecturer in electrical engineering at Sydney University, told Reuters that for a static electricity charge to ignite a carpet, conditions had to be perfect.

"Static electricity is a similar mechanism to lightning, where you have clouds rubbing together and then a spark generated by very dry air above them," said Gosden.

© Reuters 2005. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.
Close This Window

Note: I had to change the a to a @, the word cr@cking is censored.
wow, what was he thinking, oh well.
Quote:
© Reuters 2005. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.
Laughing I'm going to try that...
Dude, that's obviously a joke...
This is from a pretty reputable news service. Its in yahoo and google news.
yeah, they are fairl reputable, not like others out there. I know other sites use them (Comcast I think does)
Hmmm, but they've never been known to post joke news items?
I've never seen them do it. I found this under the "Oddly Enough" section.
Ok, I guess it's legit then... Confused
I believe it...you can have an insane number of volts if you have a limited number of amps.
My dad says people have somewhere around a million volts of electricity in their bodies... So this isn't too hard to believe...
hmm... sounds plausible, though highly unlikely... if this happened in my town people would be rioting for years... (Whatza stateek?)

this sounds oddly familiar though... Dad cant wear any watch that isnt water proof to 3 atmospheres, cuz if the seal is too weak his body's natural energy fries the electronics inside... he actually fried the capacitors in a kinetic watch once Razz
alex10819 wrote:
hmm... sounds plausible, though highly unlikely... if this happened in my town people would be rioting for years... (Whatza stateek?)

this sounds oddly familiar though... Dad cant wear any watch that isnt water proof to 3 atmospheres, cuz if the seal is too weak his body's natural energy fries the electronics inside... he actually fried the capacitors in a kinetic watch once Razz

Laughing Awesome! I wish I had that...no wait, no I don't. Razz
trust me, you dont want it... i think his record with a watch is just over a year and a half... and that was a Swiss Army watch... (the batteries died naturally, and after they were replaced the seal was too weak... it took it all of a week to die...)
What about computers? I wouldn't want him upgrading my CPU... Very Happy
it doesnt have a shortterm effect... if it did, he would be out of a job...

you might be familiar with one of Barcontrols clients... ever heard of the NYC Morgue?
Yeah, you've told me that before. Very Happy
lol, I used to be able to control mine a little bit. I used to concentrate like I was forcing energy to my hands, and then I could walk up to someone at school and shock the s*** out of em. Laughing That used to be so much fun... (and it was tiled flooring, no carpet. Smile)
Claims being made on this thread are becoming increasingly less believable....

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours