builderboy2005 wrote:
I also added a new tile, Im not quite sure what to call it, but its a small hole that goes through a wall and you can shoot portals through it but you cant move through it. Its very handy dandy Smile
It's a hole in the. SKY. Through which you can't. FLY.

Looks awesome, very happy to hear that this project continues to progress. Smile
Yeah progress has been going slowly but surely Smile I am actually taking a quick detour to try and fabricate an awesome transition between rooms. Its a bit tricky to try to manipulate 96x64 sized sprites though Wink

Ill post more where i have more info
builderboy2005 wrote:
Yeah progress has been going slowly but surely Smile I am actually taking a quick detour to try and fabricate an awesome transition between rooms. Its a bit tricky to try to manipulate 96x64 sized sprites though Wink

Ill post more where i have more info
Sounds like a fun challenge. Smile Do you want to reveal what transition you're going for so we can make any suggestions, or are you keeping it under wraps for now?
I'm most likely not going to post anything for now, just because I don't have all the details finished. Usualy the way things go is I work on it and make changes depending on what looks cool, not what I planned. Once I actualy get the transition working I will post a screenie tho Smile
builderboy2005 wrote:
I'm most likely not going to post anything for now, just because I don't have all the details finished. Usualy the way things go is I work on it and make changes depending on what looks cool, not what I planned. Once I actualy get the transition working I will post a screenie tho Smile
Excellent. That's probably a smart way to do things, so that people won't get up in arms if you do something different than what you had originally planned. How close would you say that you are to a final release? Is the main to-do item making lots of levels now, are there still more gameplay mechanics aspects to add, or is it almost done?
Final release inst as close as you might think, while i almost have all gameplay mechanics working, there are also storyline elements that will impact the game greatly. I want a lot of it to remain a surprise, so i wont be giving out much of any information on the storyline. That and i need to write a handy level editor, work on the main menu, tie everything together, punch out all the bugs.
builderboy2005 wrote:
Final release inst as close as you might think, while i almost have all gameplay mechanics working, there are also storyline elements that will impact the game greatly. I want a lot of it to remain a surprise, so i wont be giving out much of any information on the storyline. That and i need to write a handy level editor, work on the main menu, tie everything together, punch out all the bugs.
That's great! Is the level editor going to be oncalc or computer-side? And it's going to have a storyline; that's great! Good luck.
Oncalc, possibly even included into the game itself if i have enough room left in the App.
builderboy2005 wrote:
Oncalc, possibly even included into the game itself if i have enough room left in the App.
Very nice! Ah, I also didn't realize this was an App, it should be interesting to see how that works. Does that mean Axe's app creation is stable enough for general use now?
Yeah its got to be an app, there is too much code to be able to fit into a program as it is already.
builderboy2005 wrote:
Yeah its got to be an app, there is too much code to be able to fit into a program as it is already.
Makes sense. How much code and data do you have so far?
Currently the program compiles to around 9100 bytes, but enough of that is data where i can still run the program in MirageOS. Since compiling to App takes a while and kinda wears down the flash chip (even if its only a little bit) im trying to keep all of the bits of the program under 8800 bytes so i can test them in MirageOS before assembling them into an App
builderboy2005 wrote:
Currently the program compiles to around 9100 bytes, but enough of that is data where i can still run the program in MirageOS. Since compiling to App takes a while and kinda wears down the flash chip (even if its only a little bit) im trying to keep all of the bits of the program under 8800 bytes so i can test them in MirageOS before assembling them into an App
So why not keep it as a program indefinitely? Desolate pushed 22K or so, why not Portal X too? Smile
The thing is, that Desolate may have had 22K, but most of that was Data (unless im missing something). Assembly programs cant have any more actual executable code than 8800 bytes, and the engine itself is almost at that limit.
builderboy2005 wrote:
The thing is, that Desolate may have had 22K, but most of that was Data (unless im missing something). Assembly programs cant have any more actual executable code than 8800 bytes, and the engine itself is almost at that limit.
That's exactly correct. Ah, I didn't realize it was in danger of exceeding that limit, that's a perfect reason to switch to an app. Razz Of course, you can do some swapping tricks to make it work, but it's still not recommended.
I actually was trying to get some swapping tricks to work for me early on before App writing was implemented, and it might have worked, but it would have been a lot more difficult o.O Self Modifying code in Axe is not a happy thing XD
builderboy2005 wrote:
I actually was trying to get some swapping tricks to work for me early on before App writing was implemented, and it might have worked, but it would have been a lot more difficult o.O Self Modifying code in Axe is not a happy thing XD
Aww, you should nag Quigibo to do something about it, since that's such a powerful part of ASM programming. Sad Couldn't you write inline ASM to do it? Then again, there are probably a whole bunch of static pointers that would get all switched about and broken, and I doubt Axe supports the relocation that would be necessary so that chunks of code you swapped from about the 8.8KB limit would have the proper address offsets from $9d95.
Yeah i didn't realize that Goto's and Calls used static pointers, so i ended up with this really weird stuff happening when i tried to swap parts of code that used subroutines. Modifying the code isn't that bad, but swapping chunks all over the place is x.x
builderboy2005 wrote:
Yeah i didn't realize that Goto's and Calls used static pointers, so i ended up with this really weird stuff happening when i tried to swap parts of code that used subroutines. Modifying the code isn't that bad, but swapping chunks all over the place is x.x
If you were using simple ASM on a computer, you could use a single .org $9d95 statement at the beginning of the chunk of code you'd want to swap; perhaps you could convince Quigibo to implement something along those lines?
Hmmmm its possible but its a pretty mute point now that we have App compiling. And Quigibo even says we might have multi-page compiling if the pages after the second are only data.

On a separate note, i have a beta version of a transition between rooms! You can also see what the holes in the walls look like.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 9
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours