builderboy2005 wrote:
So i ran some tests and i have decided on staying with 5x5 box and 5x5 sprite. So unless i can figure out a better 5x5 sprite the little dude is staying the same
Do you have a spritesheet of the 5x5 dude's sprites for our perusal? If not, don't worry about it; I was just curious.

Here he is, his animation is all 4 slides, which includes his standing slide, which is slide 1. The head is added after the sprite is displayed, since it is only 1 pixel and i didn't see the point of creating 4 new sprites for that
[I fixed your image link to remove the cachebuster timestamp]

I guess I don't really see much to improve on from that; I just wish there was more to work with in 5x5 pixels. :/
Yeah, you and i both :/ Well for a 5x5 sprite i think i did the best i could, and he really doesn't look too bad i think
Alright update! I have here a screenie of two levels connected with a transition animation, all running from a single program sized 14000 bytes in MirageOS ^^. Now that i have all my virtual page swapping code down, a lot of progress can be made fairly quickly. Adding levels is trivial and easy, so i am probably going to work on the menu next and all its fancy animation stuffs. Whats nice about this way i am working, is that each page has about 10 sub programs, but after you compile the page and finalize it, you don't need any of the subprograms anymore and you can group them or whatever, and keep the compiled page archived and out of the way Makes for a very clean Programing menu ^^

Wow, that transition looks awesome! Are you doing anything different or special in order to pull that off? Also, kudos on an extremely well-taken screenshot; I can't find the seam between the beginning and the end. Smile
Thanks Smile I have worked on that transition for some time and i'm really pleased in the way it turned out ^^ The first half does constant screen shifting to the left and incremental screen shifting down while also redrawing the elevator and lift so it gives the appearance of motion. Then it uses a series of copy statements to copy the buffer of the next level onto the screen at several locations.

You might also notice that the elevator moves up relative to the screen to accommodate the differences in heights across levels Smile

Lol and the transition is at the very beginning of the room with the spikes when all of the objects appear
That looks super cool! I'm excited to play this!
elfprince13 wrote:
That looks super cool! I'm excited to play this!
Same here. Smile Thanks for the explanations, BuilderBoy; you've made some excellent progress. I assume though that school/work/life has been stealing much of your time over the past few months, as it has for the rest of us?
hmm cool!
great to see some updates Smile
WhiteValkery wrote:
hmm cool!
great to see some updates Smile
It definitely is. I hope that over the winter break we're going to see updates from a lot of projects that have stalled due to lack of free time from their coders.
This is really neat. I look forward to its completion. Smile
c.sprinkle wrote:
This is really neat. I look forward to its completion. Smile
You and me both; while we're on the subject, Builderboy, do you have any projected schedule for this, or are you going to forego setting yourself deadlines in case unexpected life/work/school things get in the way?
Yeah school, life, and other projects have been stealing time from PortalX, but i recently decided to work on it some more ^^ As for a release, every time i have ever specified a release date i have way overshot it, so i am going to go with a 'when it's done' approach in this case Razz
builderboy2005 wrote:
Yeah school, life, and other projects have been stealing time from PortalX, but i recently decided to work on it some more ^^ As for a release, every time i have ever specified a release date i have way overshot it, so i am going to go with a 'when it's done' approach in this case Razz
That's probably a smart move; I definitely respect that. Smile May I ask what other projects have been stealing time? The TI-BASIC optimizer? Something else? You should share said project(s) with us, at any rate.
Its actually a browser applet game that i am working on with WeCreateStuff.com Smile I am close to finishing the first area, after which i will definitely post a topic ^^
Alright so progress has actually been chugging along nicely for the past week or so, and I will post an update here telling you guys whats going down! Me and Runer112 have been working together to optimize the code to bring the size down, Axe has lots of quirks and so it can be interesting to optimize. We (read: Runer) were able to find lots of different places to optimize, and the filesize has dropped significantly.

Now, originally, this was going to be one massive program (22K or more) But not only did i realize that I wouldn't be able to fit my entire game into RAM, but all of the extra features were adding significant memory to my program. Thats why I decided to switch to the storypack idea.

The game will exist on your calculator as an App. It will have a menu, 30 built in levels, and a way to load custom levels. Thats it. Then there will be a storypack that you can download to your calc. It is going to be an appvar that hold additional code and data to significantly expand the game from a simple puzzle game to an actual story based game. There will be extra levels added on, characters and dialog, and a lot more!

I'm really exited to get this all finished, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (kinda) and its really exciting Smile

Oh and heres a screenie of the main menu design Very Happy

I can't wait to play this on my calc. It'll make the time in doctor's office waiting rooms that much quicker.
awesome menu! Smile
Great menu! I notice you force the user to scroll through all the AppVars (?) on the calculator, though; are you planning to fix that and make it just AppVars (?) with a specific header?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 7 of 9
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours