Precisely, same here.
KermMartian wrote:
Either way, I agree with your classification of it as more intelligent than the average guns-and-explosions movie.
Oh, but don't dismiss all guns-and-explosions movies as being unintelligent. Smile The obvious film to match against Inception is Total Recall.
benryves wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Either way, I agree with your classification of it as more intelligent than the average guns-and-explosions movie.
Oh, but don't dismiss all guns-and-explosions movies as being unintelligent. Smile The obvious film to match against Inception is Total Recall.
I see your point and raise you Transformers and Transformers 2 (especially the latter).
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
I see your point and raise you Transformers and Transformers 2 (especially the latter).

Matrix

/debate over, I win.
Are you arguing a guns-and-explosions movie with intelligence, or without? Because I think they were going for a complex religious and philosophic undertone
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

The key word in my argument was all. There are plenty of enjoyable brainless action films (and plenty of unenjoyable ones like the Transformer films you mentioned), but that doesn't mean that they're all like that. RoboCop and Starship Troopers are further examples from Paul Verhoeven that demonstrate that an ultra-violent action film can still have some brains underneath all that blood.
KermMartian wrote:
Are you arguing a guns-and-explosions movie with intelligence, or without? Because I think they were going for a complex religious and philosophic undertone

I'm arguing that guns-and-explosions movies with intelligence exist - as proven by the Matrix. Thus '/debate' (kind of sad I had to explain that to you...).

Are you saying complex religious and philosophic undertones aren't intelligent?
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I'm arguing that guns-and-explosions movies with intelligence exist - as proven by the Matrix. Thus '/debate' (kind of sad I had to explain that to you...).

Are you saying complex religious and philosophic undertones aren't intelligent?
I generally think they are, but there are lots of people who claim the Matrix is just pseudo-philosophical and lacks any real substance. I wasn't sure which side you were taking, since you usually take the most dystopic and pessimistic view of everyone and everything around you.
KermMartian wrote:
there are lots of people who claim the Matrix is just pseudo-philosophical and lacks any real substance.

Those people are simply too stupid to understand.
KermMartian wrote:
I wasn't sure which side you were taking, since you usually take the most dystopic and pessimistic view of everyone and everything around you.

Ha. *chuckles*
KermMartian wrote:
I generally think they are, but there are lots of people who claim the Matrix is just pseudo-philosophical and lacks any real substance.

I found Dark City to be a much more interesting take on what is a very similar idea.
benryves wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
I generally think they are, but there are lots of people who claim the Matrix is just pseudo-philosophical and lacks any real substance.

I found Dark City to be a much more interesting take on what is a very similar idea.
That looks fascinating, based on Wikipedia's synopsis of the film. I definitely think I'll check it out!
Awesome review. Awesome movie. I absolutely loved it. Smile

Almost made me think of The Matrix.
swivelgames wrote:
Awesome review. Awesome movie. I absolutely loved it. Smile

Almost made me think of The Matrix.
Very nice, glad to hear that you enjoyed it, Swivelgames. Smile
I saw it, and loved it. It tickled all of my nerdy passions. It was up there on BEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME. Not the best, but worth my 6 bucks!
adept wrote:
I saw it, and loved it. It tickled all of my nerdy passions. It was up there on BEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME. Not the best, but worth my 6 bucks!
Ah nice, someone else knows about the weekend morning price. Smile Aye, it was on the nerdier side of movies, even though the McGuffin was not hugely sci-fi'y.
I've seen it twice. It's a great movie, and definitely worth seeing a second time (if just to understand it more)

So, is he in a dream at the end or not? (I think he's in reality.)
MRide wrote:
I've seen it twice. It's a great movie, and definitely worth seeing a second time (if just to understand it more)

So, is he in a dream at the end or not? (I think he's in reality.)
I'd like to believe it's reality. Smile What new things did you pick up on the second time around?

Sidebar, I'm going to fix your avatar and signature. Razz

Edit: You fixed your avatar, need help with the sig?
Already changed my avatar. Didn't realize it was going to be so big. It shrinks down in omnimaga.
MRide wrote:
Already changed my avatar. Didn't realize it was going to be so big. It shrinks down in omnimaga.
Good deal, thanks for that. Smile So the second time watching the movie? Any new and exciting insights?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours