What is your primary mode of transportation?
Own car
 36%  [ 4 ]
Someone else's car
 36%  [ 4 ]
Bus
 9%  [ 1 ]
Train
 9%  [ 1 ]
Bike
 0%  [ 0 ]
Walking
 9%  [ 1 ]
Boat
 0%  [ 0 ]
Horseback
 0%  [ 0 ]
I NEVER go anywhere.
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

There should only be about three or four really high quality magazines. The low-quality ones will just fizzle out because they can't stand up to the competition and no one will read them.
But wouldn't that get rid of news variety?
Depends on how diverse the three or four are.
I hope you mean three of four in a topic, because I subscibe to 3 fishing magazines, plus I get a magazine orianted to scouting, that is four, plus there are other great magazines out there
Quote:
Beleive me, there are already too many. You clearly have never seen the archives at Northwestern...

Not archives though...in circulation magazines that I can subscribe to.
Eh, let's just leave the media the way it is Smile
yeah, let them fight it out
Question Let who fight what out? Media conglomerates comepete?
It's the Ultimate Truth-Bending and Lying Competition. Major media corporations get together and see who can come up with the most believable lie that also earns the most money. Laughing
exactly, that is what they are fighting for/about
You can watch it every day on your local 24-hour news channel.
Don't even get me started about Fox News...
Sure, bash the only moderately-conservative national news station in the nation...I'm not saying it's great, but it is a very rare thing.
I've always been annoyed by the "If it Bleeds, it Leads" mentality of the media. I just don't understand why people watch that stuff and how they do not get sick of it. It's irrelevant to their lives, and to most everyone else's for that matter. It's as if people watch the news in the same way they watch a sitcom: entertainment. (Well, I suppose that's why they coined the term 'Infotainment.') That's all fine and dandy if that's what people want to do, but when the media turns around and slathers itself with praise for high "journalistic standards" or "integrity" or whatever bullshit they come up with, it becomes sickening.

The media has become so obsessed with maximizing profits that they've sold their souls for money. They've created a situation which bypasses the checks of capitalism by effectively eliminating demand for relevant news through weepy sensationalism and celebrity worship. Isn't anybody tired of hearing about who divorced who this week or the complete story of some minor incident that happened in 1983 that changed 1 person's life, or has human interest just consumed us to the point where we'll buy anything the media puts in front of us?
Indeediddlydee. I was just thinking this morning how everything on the news is about some tragedy or something unfortunate; no one ever mentions good stuff on the news.
I think it's called the Collective Mind Mentality. Anything that is even minorly relevant to one person becomes irrationally relevant to each other person. Kinda like cellular automata.
Interesting CA reference, but I don't think it applies here. Laughing
Well, the principle of the state of one item affecting the state of others around it does in a sense.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours