Does anyone know of a basic hardware modding tutorial for TI graphing calculators? And a how-to-solder guide?
Raylin wrote:
Does anyone know of a basic hard-modding tutorial for calculators? And a how-to-solder guide?
There's no good calculator hardware modding tutorial, but ask away! I for one have a decade of experience in breaking calculators, and many of the other members including at least Elfprince, BrandonW, Ultimate Dev'r, and rcfreak0 have dabbled. What model, the TI-83+, TI-83+SE, TI-84+, or TI-84+SE? What do you want to do to it?
KermMartian wrote:
Raylin wrote:
Does anyone know of a basic hard-modding tutorial for calculators? And a how-to-solder guide?
There's no good calculator hardware modding tutorial, but ask away! I for one have a decade of experience in breaking calculators, and many of the other members including at least Elfprince, BrandonW, Ultimate Dev'r, and rcfreak0 have dabbled. What model, the TI-83+, TI-83+SE, TI-84+, or TI-84+SE? What do you want to do to it?

Whoo I got mentioned [/random]

But yes, ask away. Ive mainly dabbled with the 83+ cause i dont want to ruin my 84+SE. I can help with modding, although Kerm has more experience and ive learned from his mods and trying stuff my-self. Ill be glad to help If i can.
The TI-83+ line is much much better suited to modding than the TI-84+ line for several reasons, including more room in the back of the case for mods and a ribbon-cable-connected screen to a smaller motherboard that makes reconfiguring or even removing and reattaching or replacing the whole LCD module a lot easier.
KermMartian wrote:
The TI-83+ line is much much better suited to modding than the TI-84+ line for several reasons, including more room in the back of the case for mods and a ribbon-cable-connected screen to a smaller motherboard that makes reconfiguring or even removing and reattaching or replacing the whole LCD module a lot easier.

I agree with that, Ive removed about 4 screens, although they never got re-attached...
Im in the process of modding a 83+ and im glad it has "alot" of room in it
rcfreak0 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I agree with that, Ive removed about 4 screens, although they never got re-attached...
It's pretty easy with some 30-AWG wire-wrapping wire, a very fine-tipped soldering iron, and a ton of patience. Smile Cf. the Ultimate Calculator 3 topic for an example Razz
KermMartian wrote:
rcfreak0 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

It's pretty easy with some 30-AWG wire-wrapping wire, a very fine-tipped soldering iron, and a ton of patience. Smile Cf. the Ultimate Calculator 3 topic for an example Razz

Hahaha ill have to go get some 30-AWG wire then soon. That topic made me lol at the cyborg screen
Feel free to send me some of the poor separated motherboards and LCDs to have a go at myself if you want. Very Happy

We're getting a bit offtopic though, let's see what Raylin had in mind. Were you thinking overclocking, case modding, backlighting, externals and peripherals, what?
A cool mod I was thinking of doing but haven't actually done yet is soldering off the 2.5mm jack and replacing it with a 3.5mm jack. On the TI-84 there is enough room for it. I can never find those mini cables anywhere but the 3.5mm cables are easy to find and I have several of them plus they're way longer. It also allows you to plug in headphones normally without needing a converter. Maybe you could try that mod, its a fairly easy one for beginners.
Well, soldering tutorials should not be *that* hard to find, a Google search brings alot of results
I'm just thinking about backlighting my 84+ SE. But, I want to practice with 83+'s first.
quigibo wrote:
A cool mod I was thinking of doing but haven't actually done yet is soldering off the 2.5mm jack and replacing it with a 3.5mm jack. On the TI-84 there is enough room for it. I can never find those mini cables anywhere but the 3.5mm cables are easy to find and I have several of them plus they're way longer. It also allows you to plug in headphones normally without needing a converter. Maybe you could try that mod, its a fairly easy one for beginners.
That sounds like a fun project, and very easy to do.

Raylin wrote:
I'm just thinking about backlighting my 84+ SE. But, I want to practice with 83+'s first.
Fair enough, backlighting is doable. However, it can be very tricky and fiddly even with a TI-83+, and there's a good chance of irreparably breaking one of the LCD ribbon cables while doing so.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours