So my friend recommended I get Windows XP Ice for my laptop. He put the installer on a disk and gave it to me. However, since it is an earlier version of Windows, if I installed it there would be no boot menu, and it would only go to Windows XP Ice. The solution to this would be to reinstall Windows 7 afterwards, but that is my problem - my laptop had it preinstalled, no disk.

Is it possible to install XP Ice, keep all my data, and not lose Windows 7, or is it a waste of time?
What exactly is Windows XP Ice? If it's some way to downgrade to Windows XP, it sounds like a waste of time to me, since you'll have no way to reinstall Windows 7. However, the solution would be to somehow installed Windows XP Ice on a different partition, then install Linux and the GRUB bootloader on a third partitiion.
KermMartian wrote:
What exactly is Windows XP Ice? If it's some way to downgrade to Windows XP, it sounds like a waste of time to me, since you'll have no way to reinstall Windows 7. However, the solution would be to somehow installed Windows XP Ice on a different partition, then install Linux and the GRUB bootloader on a third partitiion.

From what I know, it's a user made and tweeked Windows XP.
Sounds cool, but I really think it's a waste.
Looks like a waste of hard drive space to me. I wouldn't bother with it.
KermMartian wrote:

Thanks, that was why I didn't want to install it.
I agree. If you don't already have linux, I would recomend that though Wink

For the record: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4HJLhGcH5Y
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Thanks, that was why I didn't want to install it.
Go with that instinct. Razz Have you considered dual-booting a Linux OS like Ubuntu, though? It might not be a bad idea to play around with it, if you haven't before.
Mint is also nice, but I heard that it was bloated. Mint is based on the Ubuntu core I think
_player1537 wrote:
I agree. If you don't already have linux, I would recomend that though Wink

Ahem, quadboot.

1. Windows 7 Premium
2. Ubuntu
3. Arch Linux
4. Jolicloud.

I have a netbook with Windows XP, would ICE be good for it?
I still don't see the point. If it's Windows, it's some kind of inefficiently-skinned, cracked, virus-infested, illegal Windows. If it's Linux, it's not going to run all your Windows programs properly (as you know). I wouldn't try it still.
Ice sounds like just a customized and themed XP which IMO is just a waste. Plus when something breaks, due to all the customizations you will have no clue how to fix it.
Thank you all, next time I'll go with my instincts and not trust 3rd party stuff that isn't well known. If Kerm hasn't heard of it, it probably sucks. lol
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Thank you all, next time I'll go with my instincts and not trust 3<sup>rd</sup> party stuff that isn't well known. If Kerm hasn't heard of it, it probably sucks. 0x5
Haha, I'm flattered. Smile Glad you're taking the path that all-around seems like the most prudent choice.
KermMartian wrote:
I still don't see the point. If it's Windows, it's some kind of inefficiently-skinned, cracked, virus-infested, illegal Windows. If it's Linux, it's not going to run all your Windows programs properly (as you know). I wouldn't try it still.

Just because something is pirated, doesn't mean it's virus-infested. If it were, there would be no functioning userbase to keep the practice going.
DShiznit wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Just because something is pirated, doesn't mean it's virus-infested. If it were, there would be no functioning userbase to keep the practice going.
Not necessarily; some versions might be virus-infested while others might be less-so. Maybe some version would be pre-rootkitted to be part of a botnet; it's not like you'd ever know. Certainly a pirated or modified version of an OS would be more likely to contain pre-installed malware than a legit OEM version.
More likely yes, very likely, not necessarily. Most pirate websites have comment and reporting systems now. If any kind of malware is discovered, it gets reported, and if the website is reputable(e.g. The Pirate Bay) the torrent is usually quickly removed. It is possible to get malware from a pirate website, but not likely if you use older, peer reviewed, more heavily seeded torrents.
I find it vaguely amusing that you can use the word "reputable" to describe a website dedicated to ripping people off.
^ lol
benryves wrote:
I find it vaguely amusing that you can use the word "reputable" to describe a website dedicated to ripping people off.
As do I.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours