comicIDIOT wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:
...though I always thought it was nice for the featured people to show on the index, mainly because of getting more exposure.
A valid point indeed. The member features never got that many views anyways when they aren't active. Whenever the author posted, there would be activity for a while. So the chances of the topic appearing in SAX or in the recent posts on the front page is pretty likely. To spur more views on topic, KermMartian, the recent posts should be changed to "Recent Topics?" As I'm writing this post, "Same Sex Marriage" popped up six times in a row.
Where is recent posts, you mean the one at the top of the forum index? I usually just click on Go to the New Posts, which shows topics.

comicIDIOT wrote:
Quote:
I am not sure how many people bother to look at 'posts since last visit'
I do every time I visit. I've gotten into the habit, though.

Quote:
but I for one mainly just glance over the index page to see what new posts I haven't looked at yet. There are probably a lot of people like that.
Another idea, would be to have small text links underneath the topic, like now, but instead of a run-on list, it'd be a fully <ul><li> list with a recent post thread and time by it. Bold if there was a new post since last visit, non-bold otherwise.
Not a bad idea. The danger is of the list getting super-long if there are a lot of, for example, member features.

comicIDIOT wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
One suggestion I have: have subforums in each programming category for stuff like "Projects in Progress", "Completed Projects", "Help", etc...

It might take a while, but would make each of those categories less broad, good idea?
I think it's definitely an interesting idea! What do others think of this idea?
Hm. Having a broad range for a topic isn't a bad idea. If you nest things inside of sub-forums people aren't going to know where to look and just start mis-categorizing topics. I deal with the similar with a photo group I lead that has ~2,500 members. So it's a real challenge to make the categories intuitive and easy to navigate.

Here, with the Progress, Completed & Help topics, it'd be best to leave the parent topics as they are. No sub-forums. Once a project is compeleted an Admin, Mod or GMod would have to move the topic. And that's petty work I don't think anyone really wants to do. Anyone who reads the last page of a topic should know if it's completed. Or if the OP updates the first post so new readers can follow knowing the project is completed or not (and the current status).

I don't think having those topics would be directly beneficial and the extra work makes that idea less appealing.
On further thought, I'm more in agreement with comicIDIOT on this. Even though it would make things more organized, I feel it would segregate out the topics too much to have that many subfora.
KermMartian wrote:
Where is recent posts, you mean the one at the top of the forum index? I usually just click on Go to the New Posts, which shows topics.
Not on the forum, on the Site Index.

Quote:
Not a bad idea. The danger is of the list getting super-long if there are a lot of, for example, member features.
I believe you mentioned somewhere that only projects that are updated constantly and for users who continually post projects and finish them or something along those words. I don't see "Member Features" expanding too rapidly.
I suppose so, but there's already three, and Merth's Tokens project is going to get featured, since it looks great, will have wide appeal, will have a DCS GUI creator, and will hopefully interface with SourceCoder. That's already four, and I'd love to have another few projects that turn into member features. I'll play it by ear, though; first things first is to put the subsubfora on a separate line and fix the font size issue.
KermMartian wrote:
I suppose so, but there's already three, and Merth's Tokens project is going to get featured, since it looks great, will have wide appeal, will have a DCS GUI creator, and will hopefully interface with SourceCoder. That's already four, and I'd love to have another few projects that turn into member features. I'll play it by ear, though; first things first is to put the subsubfora on a separate line and fix the font size issue.
Mock Up:

Bold topic means new posts since last visit, basically. Since, the little exclamation (!) goes away after viewing one topic I believe.
Huh, I actually quite like the way that that looks. What does everyone else think of that?
I'm a fan.
merthsoft wrote:
I'm a fan.
I'm a little hot, can you turn up the power and oscillate?
merthsoft wrote:
I'm a fan.
It looks to me like there would be room for two out of the three possible info items: thread title, last post author, last post date/time. What do you guys think should be there? Author and date/time, like in comic's mockup, or something different?
I guess if it said "Last post in <thread> by <author>..." that'd be nice. Other than that, I think it's got basically the right amount of info. Even without which thread it was in, it's not a big inconvenience to click through.
I felt that if it the date/time isn't included, people would pass it up. It could even be "Topic" at "Time" apposed "Author" at "Time." But if you include the topic, people may pass it up because they aren't interested in that project, while a project they are interested in under the same feature, has been updated, so Author would draw them in and look around I think.
comicIDIOT wrote:
I felt that if it the date/time isn't included, people would pass it up. It could even be "Topic" at "Time" apposed "Author" at "Time." But if you include the topic, people may pass it up because they aren't interested in that project, while a project they are interested in under the same feature, has been updated, so Author would draw them in and look around I think.
Mmm, and even if I left the topic title out, the title of the project forum is still there, which should give some kind of hint, don't you guys think?
That was my idea in the mock up, more or less Wink
comicIDIOT wrote:
That was my idea in the mock up more or less Wink
Indeed it was. Aight, I'll implement that and see how it works out, after I've gotten Doors CS off the table and have it stop stressing me out. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
That was my idea in the mock up more or less Wink
Indeed it was. Aight, I'll implement that and see how it works out, after I've gotten Doors CS off the table and have it stop stressing me out. Smile
Aight. I ended up using tables to do the mock. Lists required some extra CSS to make it fit so I worked with what was already styled ;P

If you like, I can try and fit in the post counts for each sub-forum in the table? And just hand you the HTML.
Tables are fine; the index is already table-based. If you could try that out, that would be great. Would having the template for the current forum index help you?
I'm not positive. I just CTRL+S the index and worked off that. If you want to send me the template I could even try to add in the {$_VARIABLES} as well!
comicIDIOT wrote:
I'm not positive. I just CTRL+S the index and worked off that. If you want to send me the template I could even try to add in the {$_VARIABLES} as well!
Sent. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Smile
Now that the mock I made is live, what does everyone think?

Kerm, I still think the cell after the sub-forum name needs some padding.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Now that the mock I made is live, what does everyone think?

Kerm, I still think the cell after the sub-forum name needs some padding.
You mean to add more space between the name and the icon/last post text?
Aye. Not much, maybe ten or so pixels.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours