comicIDIOT wrote:
Aye. Not much, maybe ten or so pixels.
I added eight pixels; how does that look to you?
That looks great!
comicIDIOT wrote:
That looks great!
Excellent, thanks for your help! It's much appreciated. Smile Now, some other ideas and thinks to do:

:: Light vertical gray lines on the forum index between the columns like on the New Posts page and View Topic page? Thoughts? What about horizontal lines?
:: What other subforum mergers, deletions, or creations, what about the moving of subfora between categories?
:: Would you have an interest in helping me with the Cemetech6mobile theme?
I have no issue with the vertical lines, just the horizontal ones. I wouldn't mind helping you with C6mobile.
comicIDIOT wrote:
I have no issue with the vertical lines, just the horizontal ones. I wouldn't mind helping you with C6mobile.
No, you misunderstand me. I'm asking if you (and everyone else) thinks that the forum index needs some subtle horizontal and/or vertical lines to break up the rows and columns.
I think you provided too little information after the whole "are these horizontal lines suppose to be here" topic and exchange. Razz I think the current space is fine.

As for CM6, I've started a mock of that as well Very Happy

With a few days off I should get it done! I <s>'d out the menu options that shouldn't be included.

Since we all seem to want different colours, I plan to make the theme/style completly relient on the background color for everything. Need a lighter colour for a font? Just use a light gray and lower the opacity. That'll allow easy change of the background colour to just about any hex value the users desire. But there will be some style-side affects. I believe, i.e. not very vivid font/text.

Not sure how well it'll work in practice but in theory it sounds great! I haven't added that part of the idea to the CSS & HTML, so don't go looking for it!

If anybody wants to start a mock of their own Good Idea
For some reasons I feel the way the forum theme looks like is pretty fine. Also I'M glad there is a projects forum now and that some others were merged. To be honest, the first time I arrived here, I was confused about where people would post certain calculator topics and there was no section specific to projects.

Also I really like what you did with the Members Features, with the last post info for every sub-forum showing up in the parent board description on the board index. You managed to have it not take too much space as well.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Also I really like what you did with the Members Features, with the last post info for every sub-forum showing up in the parent board description on the board index. You managed to have it not take too much space as well.
Yay, glad you like my handiwork! Very Happy
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
For some reasons I feel the way the forum theme looks like is pretty fine. Also I'M glad there is a projects forum now and that some others were merged. To be honest, the first time I arrived here, I was confused about where people would post certain calculator topics and there was no section specific to projects.
Yeah, it seemed that a lot of people didn't find "Community News" to be an intuitive place tto post about their projects.

DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Cheers!

@comicIDIOT: Whoa, that template is ... interesting. I have something I'm mocking up that I'll take a few screenshots of in an hour or two. Smile
Haha, I'm trying to keep it simple. No images. Making it easy to code, and helps update the web version better for immediate cross device testing.

But it's no where near an attractive look. I'll admit. On a small screen, it's all about separating the sections with colour since you don't have a lot of space to work with. Later on, I'll be trying to force the page to load within the confines of the window. So devices like the iPhone don't load a page one has to zoom into. It'll be easy to read on a smaller LCD as it is to read on a 3" display.

I hope. I've never worked with forcing screen sizes or anything.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Haha, I'm trying to keep it simple. No images. Making it easy to code, and helps update the web version better for immediate cross device testing.

But it's no where near an attractive look. I'll admit. On a small screen, it's all about separating the sections with colour since you don't have a lot of space to work with. Later on, I'll be trying to force the page to load within the confines of the window. So devices like the iPhone don't load a page one has to zoom into. It'll be easy to read on a smaller LCD as it is to read on a 3" display.

I hope. I've never worked with forcing screen sizes or anything.
I don't think there's any need to force to the screen size as long as we write everything in terms of percent width. I have my featurephone and browser to do testing on, so we can see how it will look on a very small screen. Smile
Suggestion for subforums like the member features. It would be better to get rid of the date stuff and have what topic was posted in, me thinks.

Or you could leave it and just add that anyways, seems to be plenty of room. :p
tifreak8x wrote:
Suggestion for subforums like the member features. It would be better to get rid of the date stuff and have what topic was posted in, me thinks.

Or you could leave it and just add that anyways, seems to be plenty of room. :p
Yeah, that was something that I was debating on too; I eventually was thinking that the name of the subforum was descriptive enough to cover both the subforum and the topic. With you and Swivel in particular that's not really the case. :/
Yeah, sorry about that. It's easier than flooding the other subforums with my posts though :p
tifreak8x wrote:
Yeah, sorry about that. It's easier than flooding the other subforums with my posts though :p
Indeed, understandable. I'm just not sure what the best way to handle it would be. It wouldn't be terrible to make the subsubforum rows start to overflow into some of those other columns, I guess...
Oooh, hadn't realized that was like that. hmm.. Not really sure how you would pull that off them. :/
tifreak8x wrote:
Oooh, hadn't realized that was like that. hmm.. Not really sure how you would pull that off them. :/
What if I changed it to something like "Last post in BLAH by USER 1 day ago" ? The exact time/date stamp on the subsubforums' parents gives an upper bound on the possible post dates, so I think N days ago wouldn't be a bad compromise for space.
KermMartian wrote:
.... I think N days ago wouldn't be a bad compromise for space.
Not a bad compromise indeed.

As for the overflow. It wouldn't be terrible, but it would be a horrible thing to work on. You'd have to trick phpBB into creating another row, then placing in colspan="3" or something and putting the sub-sub-forum table inside of that. I don't know how it's done on the backend but I know it'll be pretty tricky.
Exactly, that's why after I first mentioned the idea I sort of backed off from it a bit. I realized the hackiness that I would need to come up with. Smile So shall I give "Last post in Thread by Author Days days ago" a try?
Yeah, give it a shot! Can't hurt.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours