Hello,
The KOS team is now accepting applications for programmer positions! As soon as I finish what's left of the kernel, I will be opening it up to the world and asking for help on the actual OS. This should be some time within the next 1-3 weeks. During that time, you may PM me a request to join the KOS team, and help finish the OS. Possible needs are a file explorer program, a notepad-like program, and more. As an added bonus, you get an early copy of KnightOS!
Please PM me if you are interested.
I can do testing and such
I can do testing, and maybe some programming but not much.
*ahem*
SirCmpwn wrote:
Please PM me if you are interested.

I will not be accepting applications for testers at this time.

Here's welcoming Tanner Hobson, graphmastur, and Raylin to the team!
Yeah, I got nothing, good luck to everyone else though
SirCmpwn wrote:

w00t!
*Tanner goes to try to work on something for KOS >:)
I recommend that you do not start working yet, _player1537. You should probably get the SDK first.
And me! Dont forget me!

I will try to make some stuff for kos, not big things though
True. I'll wait a bit Very Happy
Am I still a beta tester? Smile

I remember applying, adding a condition that I can test if I fix my other calc.
alberthrocks, sure. Fix your calc and let me know.
As for people applying, remember that this is not small program development. This is geared towards working on the *OS* and programs like the grapher, notepad, and home screen. This is not a small task you are applying for, you are applying to be on the OS dev team.
Oh, ok then. I still want to be an early beta tester though, like testing other peoples applications
_player1537 wrote:
SirCmpwn wrote:

w00t!
*Tanner goes to try to work on something for KOS >Smile
Wait, they all have extensive z80 ASM experience? O_O I thought that _player just started ASM, and I didn't think the other two had done ASM before.

Either way, good luck, guys! I hope it works out well. I'll continue to try to help proofread code that you guys have troubles with, but I'm sorry that I can't join full-time due to infinite time commitments here and in my real life.
Hehe, I thought the kernel was harder than OS. Wink
But yes, it's pretty tricky to design the OS from scratch.
You guys might want to work on a GUI toolkit first, and then build up from there. Wink Of course, for certain apps (like the calc), it would be full screen with a cursor, like the TI OS (if that's what you are planning)

And yes, I will be fixing it soon. I just need a heavy hammer to smash it open. Razz
They don't need to. They can learn more on the job, and I'm always here to optimize. I also hope that a more experienced developer applies as well. (Like one who just finished a shell and needs a project Wink)
alberthrocks, they are both extremely hard.
Sir my email is my username at gmail.com
SirCmpwn wrote:
They don't need to. They can learn more on the job, and I'm always here to optimize. I also hope that a more experienced developer applies as well. (Like one who just finished a shell and needs a project Wink)
They are indeed both hard. And, ahem:

KermMartian wrote:
I'll continue to try to help proofread code that you guys have troubles with, but I'm sorry that I can't join full-time due to infinite time commitments here and in my real life.
Especially if I am going to fill my slivers of free time with CALCnet, M-Game, and/or CivSim II.
*N-Game Razz
SirCmpwn wrote:

Hehe, KermM? He's a busy person (going to school this year for his PhD Surprised ), but you're definitely lucky if you get him on Wink

Kernel, IMO, is way harder - it's not something you can just say, "Oh, I'm going to code things along the way" - it needs planning on how it should be organized and implemented. GUI also needs some planning (and is tricky), but certainly isn't as hard. You would need to set up event handling, a system wide key handling, GUI drawing, etc.

It usually depends where you build the GUI from. On Linux, the X server is an abomination, and very few are able to design a GUI toolkit on it. On Windows, you could just use the direct drawing interface and hook stuff up easily. For your OS.... I don't know the answer to that. You might, though. Wink

A random suggestion - allow GUI toolkit use in the programming interfaces? Very Happy (Basic, ASM)
Actually, I feel like a GUI is harder to code than a kernel. A kernel needs to do several specific things, like keep track of tasks and deal with them intelligently. A GUI, on the other hand, has to both interact with the OS in terms of storing the GUI data, rendering it, and interacting with the keyboard and other input devices, plus accepting sane input from the user and rejecting nonsense. It also, depending on the type of GUI, needs to work with third-party programs, accept and use callbacks into those programs, and have a way to accept and provide data from/to those third-party programs. Case in point: the 10-16KB monstrosity (I'm not sure exactly) that is the DCS GUI system.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours