Well, Kerm has informed me that I haven't posted a topic about this on Cemetech. So yay, I get to use the newly dubbed "Your Projects" forum!

I'm making a Super Mario clone (inspired mostly by Super Mario World) for the TI-8x series of calcs. A (probably incomplete) list of current features follows:

• Animated tilemap that scrolls in all directions, with scrolling grayscale background.
  • 3-level grayscale sprites.
  • 4-channel background music (proof-of-concept, 15MHz models only).
  • Neat physics engine, which supports sloped tiles and left/right acceleration among other things.
  • Graphics and physics engines support water, which is automatically overlaid on the tilemap.
  • Lots of visual effects, like bouncing blocks, breaking bricks, flipping blocks, bouncing flowers, etc.
  • Mario has a variety of moves, like running, jumping, climbing, swimming, wallsliding, walljumping, ducking, throwing fireballs, and holding/throwing koopa shells.
  • Items include Super Mushroom (makes Mario big), Fire Flower (lets Mario throw fireballs), Starman (makes Mario invincible and flashy), 1UP Mushroom (gives Mario an extra life), and...
  • Yoshi! No eating enemies yet, but Mario can ride on him while in any form (small, big, or fire), and can also dismount. If Mario is hurt while on Yoshi, he falls off instead.
  • Enemies currently programmed are Goomba, Paragoomba, Koopa, Parakoopa, Boo, and Thwomp.
  • Enemies have the ability to walk back and forth on platforms if needed. Most enemies can be killed by jumping, throwing fireballs, hitting blocks underneath, or using a starman.
  • Enemies are loaded when they are reached in the map, and if they go too far offscreen they will respawn. Dead enemies will not respawn.
  • There is a score system, and hitting combos of enemies will give more and more points until you get a 1UP. The point values are displayed onscreen, but the total score is not displayed yet.

And here is the latest screenshot, which I know you've all been waiting for (certainly doesn't show all features):

Keep in mind, though, that there is still a LOT of stuff for me to do. That is, I frown upon "when's the release?" comments. Razz
calc84maniac wrote:
Keep in mind, though, that there is still a LOT of stuff for me to do. That is, I frown upon "when's the release?" comments. Razz

but i wants to play it!!1!1!

srsly, take as long as you need; this is WELL worth the wait. im just glad that you didnt lose any of the data.
Ti-Boy SE, and now this!?!

The screen shot has comparable graphics to the 89's Super Mario Bros, and this one has WAY more features than that!
HOLY CRAP!!!
I AM LOOKING AT A HAPPY YEAR!
hopefully we get F-zero protal and this ALL IN ONE YEAR! WOOO!!!

oh... almost for got... AND FUEL!!!

thank you soooo much!!!

p.s. hows f-zero?
Thanks guys! ^^

Also, DJ Omnimaga requested another screenshot with higher FPS, so you can find that here: http://otbp.tifreakware.net/images/M20.gif. Warning, 6MB gif!
calc84maniac wrote:
Thanks guys! ^^

Also, DJ Omnimaga requested another screenshot with higher FPS, so you can find that here: http://otbp.tifreakware.net/images/M20.gif. Warning, 6MB gif!

oh... i almost forgot to ask... is it too early to delete mario 1.2 off my calc? Razz

and i can't even begin to believe the features it has!
plus...

GREYSCALE FTW!!!
That looks amazing, calc84, and I'm sure it will be well-worth. I'm particularly impressed that you got slope physics working well; I might have to pick your brain about that at some point for M Game, if I ever pick it up again (no, people, not another Mario game, but instead an N Games sorta-clone).
KermMartian wrote:
That looks amazing, calc84, and I'm sure it will be well-worth. I'm particularly impressed that you got slope physics working well; I might have to pick your brain about that at some point for M Game, if I ever pick it up again (no, people, not another Mario game, but instead an N Games sorta-clone).

OH COOL!
your going to/making an N game clone!?

nice nice... can;t wait for that either Very Happy
a.... soooo much good stuff this year for some reason!
this is probably going to be the richest calculator year yet!
WhiteValkery wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

OH COOL!
your going to/making an N game clone!?

nice nice... can;t wait for that either Very Happy
a.... soooo much good stuff this year for some reason!
this is probably going to be the richest calculator year yet!
Here ya go:

http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3102

Don't let me hijack calc84maniac's topic though; please post in that topic if you think I should pick that project back up.
Yoshi madness!
I like how he bounces when you're not on him. Will you be making it so that he spits out shells when you eat them? Will different kinds of shells give him different powers, or anything like that?
merthsoft wrote:
I like how he bounces when you're not on him. Will you be making it so that he spits out shells when you eat them? Will different kinds of shells give him different powers, or anything like that?

Yeah, I'm planning to allow shell-spitting. Though due to lack of color, I'll probably have at most two types of koopa shells (maybe one could let Yoshi spit fire)
I like the wall-jumping like on megaman.
Dontar wrote:
And N-Game / M-Game, for that matter. Calc84, that screenshot is quite impressive.
KermMartian wrote:
Dontar wrote:
And N-Game / M-Game, for that matter. Calc84, that screenshot is quite impressive.

And New Super Mario Bros Wink
Perhaps I should give the original game a try at some point. I was also confused about that hovering circle thing that kept trying to hurt Mario.
KermMartian wrote:
Perhaps I should give the original game a try at some point. I was also confused about that hovering circle thing that kept trying to hurt Mario.
That was Boo you dolt. Razz Also Calc, have you put any thought into under water levels as of yet?
TheStorm wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
That was Boo you dolt. Razz
Again, never played the original games. Razz
TheStorm wrote:
Also Calc, have you put any thought into under water levels as of yet?
That would be nice.
KermMartian wrote:
TheStorm wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
TheStorm wrote:
That would be nice.

That detail must have gotten lost in the lengthy first post Razz

Here is one of the old gifs showing water support (you can tell it's old because Mario sprite isn't grayscale Razz)
calc84maniac wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
TheStorm wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
TheStorm wrote:
That would be nice.

That detail must have gotten lost in the lengthy first post Razz

Here is one of the old gifs showing water support (you can tell it's old because Mario sprite isn't grayscale Razz)

OMG! even the water looks sooo nice lol

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours