KermMartian wrote:
Rthprog is definitely right; the colleges that are worth going to don't apply blanket numerical criteria without adjusting for the background of a person. They'll look for what you've done in the context of your opportunities rather than simply what you've done. And Rthprog's idea regarding taking local college classes is a corker (and Qazz42 should consider the same).

Plus, your high school is not alone in lacking CS classes - literally 25% of freshmen in the school of computer science here at cmu are starting out in the intro-to-programming class, which is meant for people with zero programming experience.

And hey, you'll have plenty of opportunity to take lots of CS classes in college. I feel like _which_ college you end up going to will matter less than what you do when you get there.
True, but that doesn't mean that even if there's no other opportunities available for you to learn programming or do coding type things, you shouldn't teach yourself to code a couple of computer languages on your own.
Hm, I thought the word "California" was in CCOC, though it stands for "Central County Occupational Center."
comicIDIOT wrote:
Hm, I thought the word "California" was in CCOC, though it stands for "Central County Occupational Center."
Ohhhh, then I was able to find what you were talking about. Laughing Looks like a good program to me.
i wish you good luck :/
i am personally really scared if university lol
WhiteValkery wrote:
i am personally really scared if university 0x5
You'll be fine; you've done well through high school in math and science, right? What do you have planned for your major etc?
KermMartian wrote:
WhiteValkery wrote:
i am personally really scared if university 0x5
You'll be fine; you've done well through high school in math and science, right? What do you have planned for your major etc?

CMPT 126
MACM 101
MATH 151
PHIL 100W
are what i am taking...
i am taking PHIL 100W because i need a writing course...
Be sure to major in something worthless like EE.
allynfolksjr wrote:

as in electrical engineering?

you could actually graduate with a bachelor in electrical engineering and still go in to software design with absolutely no problems at all...

aka people from EE can take CE jobs with no toruble.

so how is it useless?
WhiteValkery wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:

you could actually graduate with a bachelor in electrical engineering and still go in to software design with absolutely no problems at all...

so how is it useless?
He's just trollin' ya because I'm an EE. Wink In case you didn't see my self-introduction in the Introduce Yourself! topic, I graduated with my Bachelors and Masters in EE in five years, and I'm starting my PhD now in Computer Science, and I like both hardware tinkering and coding, so I definitely agree.
KermMartian wrote:
WhiteValkery wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:

so how is it useless?
He's just trollin' ya because I'm an EE. Wink In case you didn't see my self-introduction in the Introduce Yourself! topic, I graduated with my Bachelors and Masters in EE in five years, and I'm starting my PhD now in Computer Science, and I like both hardware tinkering and coding, so I definitely agree.

i see haha

man.. you truly are awesome... i heard that EE is pretty much 10 times harder then CE... and i am sure that i wont be able to do well with the electrical physics stuff... my brother came from EE and is not working at microsoft as a software engineer... and i saw some of the stuff he worked on... (MAN ITS HARD!) while he said that the stuff he saw the CE students studying are like a walk in the park compared to his work and that he kinda regrets choosing EE instead of CE since he only has interests in software stuff.

and considering that you did it all in 5 years and is now going in to PhD, you must be amazing at this stuff!
WhiteValkery wrote:
man.. you truly are awesome... i heard that EE is pretty much 10 times harder then CE... and i am sure that i wont be able to do well with the electrical physics stuff... my brother came from EE and is not working at microsoft as a software engineer... and i saw some of the stuff he worked on... (MAN ITS HARD!) while he said that the stuff he saw the CE students studying are like a walk in the park compared to his work and that he kinda regrets choosing EE instead of CE since he only has interests in software stuff.

and considering that you did it all in 5 years and is now going in to PhD, you must be amazing at this stuff!
Thanks, I'm flattered. Smile I did indeed have several long undergraduate years, including junior year in which I probably averaged about 4 hours of sleep a night, but I'd say it was worth it in the end. I've always had a strong interest in hardware and software alike, and I figure I spend so much of my own time on hardware, it made sense to pursue my passion for electronics and hardware and get a more rigorous theoretical background for it. My concern about a PhD is it seems like, at least to start, it's going to be very very abstract mathy and proofy, and that's not my area of expertise at all. :/
Indeed, I made the mistake of going to a university that didn't have an electronic engineering course. I ended up reading computer science for a year, and as I have virtually zero interest in maths (I take a more practical, hands-on approach to hardware and software) ended up dropping out.
benryves wrote:
Indeed, I made the mistake of going to a university that didn't have an electronic engineering course. I ended up reading computer science for a year, and as I have virtually zero interest in maths (I take a more practical, hands-on approach to hardware and software) ended up dropping out.
That's fair, and look where you are now! I don't think it'll be the end of the world though; other than a first-semester mathy course that I have to pass a challenging exam in in order to pass the PhD degree, and the breadth/depth exam, I think the PhD thesis itself and associated research and defense are going to be the biggest challenge.
HIGH SCHOOL IS STARTING!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, either ^ that, or I can go in there dignified with the fact that I am much smarter and have a vast knowledge of computers....
qazz42 wrote:
HIGH SCHOOL IS STARTING!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, either ^ that, or I can go in there dignified with the fact that I am much smarter and have a vast knowledge of computers....
I vote for the latter possibility. Smile Have you gotten to talk with the guidance counselor or some other similar figure of authority about afterschool programs and clubs yet?
eh, not yet
qazz42 wrote:
eh, not yet
Well, be sure to do it as soon as possible, before everyone gets distracted with classes and schoolwork and you don't have the time or motivation to pursue the extracurriculars anymore.
AES is my savior in high school! They can break the rules for you. Being part of the SPED department, we aren't normal kids. If you have an AES facilitator, I recommend talking to one, they save you all kinds of frustration.
adept wrote:
AES is my savior in high school! They can break the rules for you. Being part of the SPED department, we aren't normal kids. If you have an AES facilitator, I recommend talking to one, they save you all kinds of frustration.
What are AES and SPED? Oh, I guess SPED is Special Education, but I only know AES as an encryption algorithm. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours