Don't forget to add the #cemetech tag!
Raylin wrote:
Phantom Sanctuary will be completed by Saturday.
Hourly updates via Twitter and Facebook.
Four days to go, how is it progressing? And don't forget the #cemetech hashtag in your tweets so that saxjax will repeat it.
Eh.
You know the deal.

Reformatted computer.
No backups.
Time to start over.
Um. Why would you do such a thing? Why would you (1) reformat your computer (2) Reformat your computer without making 100x sure you had backups (3) Not make daily backups of your work? Something doesn't smell right about this.
I agree with Kerm. What's up?
_player1537 wrote:
I agree with Kerm. What's up?
While we're on the subject, let me tell you a story of how I finally learned that weekly, daily, or hourly backups are important. In the summer of 2007, I was at Stevens Institute of Technology in New Jersey doing an REU (and of course working on Doors CS 6!) One day, my hard drive in my laptop failed. As it was failing, I used its last shreds of life to copy my /DCS6Dev/ directory onto an SD card, immediately after which it died for good. Luckily I had made off-site backups about a week previously, so I didn't lose anything major, but from then on I decided that my computer must backup to more than one place at least once a day, and I also started leaving an SD card in my computer permanently; my current tablet backs up to the SD card every hour. Looping this back to the original topic, knowing how the most important thing on my laptop to me was rescuing my project when my hard drive was seconds from a full head crash, I'm confused why you would format your computer days before a deadline with most of a book written without making ten times sure you had multiple backups of said book.
1) Reformat necessary due to inaccessible Ubuntu.
2) I forget to back up stuff on clouds. I back up stuff on USB drives and such.
3) I forget to back up stuff daily.
4) The backups are old _because_ I don't make daily backups.

...also imaybeatadscaredthatmybookwillnotbegoodenough.
Raylin wrote:

That's understandable. This being your first to-be-published book, it's probably a bit nerve-wracking thinking of whether the publisher will say 'very good Good Idea' or 'piece of junk Bad Idea' -- however, I personally think it would be the former.

either way, it looks like it's too late anyways and you have to rewrite it no matter what -- so I wish you best of luck with that, and I hope you back it up more often from now on Wink
Raylin wrote:
1) Reformat necessary due to inaccessible Ubuntu.
What does that mean? What's an inaccessible Ubuntu? If you mean you either broke your install or lost your password, that's what a LiveCD is for fixing, or at least using to rescue your data before your reinstall.
Quote:
2) I forget to back up stuff on clouds. I back up stuff on USB drives and such.
I make backups on local and remote servers. Even USB drives are good enough; cf. my SD card solution.
Quote:
3) I forget to back up stuff daily.
That's what automated backups are for. I have a whole topic on free automated ways to do backups.
Quote:
4) The backups are old _because_ I don't make daily backups.
That still doesn't explain why you wouldn't be so concerned about losing your book that you would make super-positive your had it backed up.

Quote:
That would make more sense. Wink But I wouldn't worry about it, the parts that I read were good, and even if it's bestseller, it's only your first book.
Who feels like spot-checking/editing Phantom Sanctuary as I write?

It would keep me on track and it would keep me motivated.
I'm sure several of us would be happy to do so, including me once I finish my semester in a week. Will you be posting links as you go for us to peruse?
Yep yep. Absolutely.
Needless to say, I will help Smile
SNEAK PEEK!

Here ya go!
That makes me want to read more, great work Raylin!
Thank you, good sir. Very Happy
Raylin wrote:
SNEAK PEEK!

Here ya go!
If I read this, is it going to introduce any spoilers that mean I should wait for other materials? Or should I read it now?
Not really...

More like background information. Razz
Raylin wrote:
Not really...

More like background information. Razz
Excellent, then I shall give it a read, but no guarantees I will be able to get to it before Thursday due to end of semester schoolwork and teaching work.
Phantom Sanctuary has changed again.

As I achieved 359 pages, I thought about things. Then, I realized that this needs to be finished in one shot. So, as a result, the name may have to change.

Any suggestions?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 6 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours